Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

first car- exhaust

87elcamino
07-21-2003, 11:20 PM
I just got a flowmaster exhaust on my stock 87 el camino (305)because it needs to be smogged and it had an exhaust leak. Its my first car and i wanted it to be loud so i got 40 series original flow mufflers. The exhaust is like a Y pipe with 2 mufflers and the old, rusty catalytic converter stayed on. I was really excited when i went to pick it up and my dad started it and it was extremely quiet. I couldnt even notice much of a difference. Does anyone know what is wrong or what i can do to make it louder????? In the future Im gonna get a remanufactured 350 and headers and probably a high flow cat. Any help is really appreciated

99' Z-28
07-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know what is wrong or what i can do to make it louder????? In the future Im gonna get a remanufactured 350 and headers and probably a high flow cat. Any help is really appreciated

"The exhaust is like a Y pipe with 2 mufflers"
Thats why you are not getting the sound you want. What you need to do is run "true" duels right off the manifold. Also known as split the manifold. Using that Y pipe is like cutting sound in half out both sides. There is not enough exhaust flow flowing through them 40 series muffler to get much noise. If your 305 had headers it would be louder also. The main reason for it not being as loud as you would like is the Y-pipe. I doubt the converter has anything to do with it. Or you can just take the 40 series off, and run no mufflers.

454Casull
07-22-2003, 10:12 PM
I hate people with loud cars, unless they have loud FAST cars, which yours isn't.

:)

87elcamino
07-23-2003, 12:26 PM
I dont want it really loud, just loud enough to hear it. Its starting to get louder though, like its breaking in.

Add your comment to this topic!