Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

automatic ferraris?

enzorocks
07-19-2003, 03:21 PM
I have a very specific question. I am paralyzed from the waist down and I cannot use my legs. Are there any of the older ferraris (ie.Mondial, Test.) that were ever produced with automatic transmissions? I am eager to get my first Ferrari, but I must begin with the older models. Is there any advice that anyone can provide when buying an older model Ferrari?

Thanks

SilverLotus340R
07-20-2003, 01:12 PM
i dont mean for this to be offensive in anyway..but

if u cant use ur legs what is the use of an automatic going to do???

enzorocks
07-20-2003, 02:24 PM
no offense taken...I have to have an automatic transmission because I obviosuly cannot drive with one hand, operate hand controls for throttle and brake with another and shift a manual transmission. Thats why I need the automatic transmission. I have driven automatic transmission cars without the use of my legs for 11 years. A device called a hand control is installed in the car. I press a lever down for throttle and forward for braking. The automatic trans. controls the shifting.

Any advice on the automatic transmission ferraris??

Thanks

Neutrino
07-20-2003, 06:25 PM
ok i think all or at least some of the ferrari's with the sequential paddle shifters have an automatic mode.....

CraigFL
07-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Certain Mondials came with the "Valeo" transmission which is an automatic.

S Brake
07-21-2003, 01:34 PM
along with mondials the 400i came with an auto trans.

TexasF355F1
07-21-2003, 02:56 PM
The 456 has an auto trans.

S Brake
07-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by TexasF355F1
The 456 has an auto trans. True but he's looking at older Ferraris

enzorocks
07-21-2003, 07:18 PM
yes..I would really like a testarossa but I am unaware of any produced with auto trans.

thanks

Porsche
07-23-2003, 08:41 PM
I would think that if a device as complex as the hand controller could be installed, then an automatic transmission would be a walk int he park. Have you tried looking into this method at all? I know autmoatic to manual or vice versa conversions for some cars are only a few thousand, which is roughly the same amount as a Ferrari Rim set.

enzorocks
07-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Actually its not nearly as complicated as one might think. The hand controls are about $500.00 and take about 1 hour to install. Very simple really.

thanks for the reply...

ShadowDN1
08-09-2003, 08:21 PM
The "Valeo" was a semiautomatic transmission. There was not a clutch pedal, but the driver still had to move the gearshift lever.

The four-seat Ferraris (400 / 412) are the only older ones I can think of that had automatics.

Clay Reggazoni (Ferrari F1 driver who had a severe crash) had a Daytona converted for him to drive after he lost the use of his legs. I believe the factory did it for him.

Porsche
08-10-2003, 01:30 AM
I wonder if Alex Zanardi had anytihng similar done? Obviously not with a Ferrari, but their may be a specialty company that would be able to do these sort of things.

Tiger Racing
10-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Clay Reggazoni (Ferrari F1 driver who had a severe crash) had a Daytona converted for him to drive after he lost the use of his legs. I believe the factory did it for him.

There is a company in Europe called Guidosimplex that can retrofit hand controls for a manual transmission. They are the ones that Clay works with. He came to our shop in 1994 with 3 technicians and installed controls on my '85 Mondial QV Cab. We had a lot of problems with them, but I understand that they are much improved. Or you could hold off on buying a Ferrari until you can afford a 355 F1. Then you would only need to worry about brake/throttle controls.

Whatever you do, don't listen to that Porch driver who suggested that you swap the tranny out for an automatic. He knows not what he speaks of. ;)

C.

Add your comment to this topic!