toothpaste

DJ RaYgU
07-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Has anyone tried to use toothpaste as a substitute for compound? If so, what toothpaste did u use?

Hiroboy
07-18-2003, 05:19 PM
The peppermint one 'cause it smells great :lol:

simdel1
07-18-2003, 05:22 PM
never done it my self, but the whitening kind would probably be a good bet as certain kinds (with bicarbonate of soda ???) are a slight abrasive...im sure some one else will have the deffinitive answer

bigfrit
07-18-2003, 05:22 PM
White bodies::: > whitening paste :wink:

never ever heard anybody use toothpaste before on bodies ???

What's next ? compound to brush your teeth?

Olivier

DJ RaYgU
07-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by bigfrit
White bodies::: > whitening paste :wink:

never ever heard anybody use toothpaste before on bodies ???

What's next ? compound to brush your teeth?

Olivier

so wut are u saying??:confused:

bigfrit
07-18-2003, 05:37 PM
:icon16:

I 'm joking, I don't know a single thing about compounding with toothpaste!

But why would you risk using toothpaste while you could use compound, I think it's even cheeper,adn it's made for polishing bodies, not like toothpaste.

Plus, you won't get that nasty menthol smell !

Olivier

Jay!
07-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Use the white gritty PASTE... make sure you don't get a gel.

ales
07-18-2003, 05:39 PM
I tried. Not really worked for me. But I've heard about it, and seen the results, and some modellers can get impressive shine with it. And any toothpaste is abrasive... it's just that some (mostly whitening) have bigger and more noticeable particles.

Edit - it did make the models smell good :p

fullbloodchop01
07-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ales
Edit - it did make the models smell good :p
mmmmm....... minty fresh models :bigthumb:

Integra06
07-18-2003, 08:37 PM
You use the whitening toothpaste for those models that have yellowed over time due to the crappy Testors clear coat.:bigthumb: But really, use the original Colgate paste without any of the extra stuff added in and that would be your best bet. Use it just like compound but make sure that the body is clean by washing more than once with some warm water as it makes the paste come off better.

chaos
07-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by jay@af

As Jay said - I haven't really used it to substitute compound tho. I have used it to smoothen out primer tho.

iceblend
07-19-2003, 05:08 AM
Wont this attract the ants or something!?:eek7:

Little-B
07-19-2003, 08:38 AM
I tried it and it works good.
But I used tooth powder without any taste from the drugstore.

DJ RaYgU
07-20-2003, 05:52 PM
you use toothpaste the same way u use compound right?

Bloodhound
07-20-2003, 11:07 PM
I haven't tried it, but I hear that toothpaste isn't meant to be used as a cutter, but as a polisher for after you've used compound cutter.

tdoty
07-21-2003, 08:49 PM
I just use Ultra Brite brand toothpaste. It's cheap, simple, mild. Of course, the only other "compound" I ever touch my models with is The Wax Shop's Swirl and Haze Remover - it's even finer than the toothpaste.

Works fine for me. Model type compounds are hard to find around here. The finer 1:1 stuff is expensive - though it does last a long time, I've had my bottle of Swirl Remover for 5 years now. A tube of toothpaste lasts quite a while too. Besides, it's easier to find when you run out, and if you run out of your regular toothpaste, the Ultra-Brite works okay for that too!

HTH,

Tim D.

DJ RaYgU
07-22-2003, 02:08 AM
so do u use toothpaste the same way? I asked this twice...i kno.

TheSyndicate
07-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Why don't you experiment with different methods, tell us what works best. :iceslolan

egon_dude
07-22-2003, 03:41 AM
toothpaste works well if you scratch up the clear parts on your car, or they fog up due to glue fumes. Rub them with Wet&dry to get the scratch out, them polish up with toothpaste or metal polish untill you get a brilliant shine!

agricus
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Actually, I been wander that myself. When I went to school in Taiwan some 15 years ago. During shop class we use tooth paste to polish and shine plastic materials. And it did a very good job with natural shine. But the problem is that it takes a very long time to accomplish this.

DJ RaYgU
08-06-2003, 06:13 PM
WTF? I used Crest regular toothpaste (it's a thick white paste with cavity protection...oh yea!) on my car sprayed with Tamiya black and it seems to make the paint even duller. anyone have any ideas? am i not rubbing my car enough or something?

SonyMobile
08-06-2003, 06:22 PM
what if you tried ketchup? Put a penny in some ketchup and let it sit there for a bit, and the penny gets shinny as hell, toothpast might work, but what about that stuff that dentists polish your teeth with? no the stuff im talkin about, they put it ont the little spinning joby and polish away

tdoty
08-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Okay, well, Crest seems to be a coarser grit. Also, you have to use a very soft cloth, and buff quite a bit after you've removed the toothpaste. It does leave a bit of a haze.

Without seeing it, I can't tell exactly what the problem is. Use a bit of water to thin down the toothpaste if needed - it helps keep it from sticking to the surface and leaving a haze, but I usually forget about that step until I'm halfway through the job, lol. Also, how much pressure you apply has an effect on the results. It's a practice and feel situation, too little pressure and not much happens - too much pressure will go right through the paint.

On a different note, I picked up some Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze last week - it's a bit expensive, but man the stuff is great!

Hope this helps.

Tim D.

DJ RaYgU
08-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by SonyMobile
what if you tried ketchup? Put a penny in some ketchup and let it sit there for a bit, and the penny gets shinny as hell, toothpast might work, but what about that stuff that dentists polish your teeth with? no the stuff im talkin about, they put it ont the little spinning joby and polish away

i dun want my car smelling like ketchup!

DJ RaYgU
08-06-2003, 06:33 PM
and BTW, does gel toothpaste work also or do u have to use the paste?

Jay!
08-06-2003, 06:43 PM
:iamwithst

Also, ketchup cleans pennies with its acidic content, IIRC...

DJ RaYgU
08-07-2003, 08:42 PM

:iamwithst

Also, ketchup cleans pennies with its acidic content, IIRC...

So ur saying that ketchup works also?

tdoty
08-07-2003, 10:00 PM
No, ketchup is not abrasive enough, at least not the stuff I'm used to. The acid in the tomatoes eats away the corrosion from metal - won't do diddly at removing orange peel or aligning scratches, right Jay?

Tim D.

Add your comment to this topic!