Help with Duplicolor

SniperX13
07-18-2003, 03:40 PM
ok, I am about ready to apply the duplicolor to m model, after having several coats of primer on it. I was wondering, whats the best way to apply the duplicolor so it goes on evenly? Should I do the lisght misting for the first few coats or a solid shot? Should I do short bursts, or continuously hold the spray nozzle down, and move it over the car in one motion?

:twak:

cartuner
07-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Well first and for most you should spray in one shot never in start and stop spray motion that will give you a real crappy paint job. move from front to back or back to front in one motion. myself i start with a few mist coats to get the color started then i apply up to 6 wetter coats then i let it sit over night and check the over all color. then i sand it down with a 2000 grit wet sanding then another 2 light mist coats to even it all out. next i buff it all out with some meguiar's cleaner/wax it works great and gets rid of all of the uneven paint and makes it like a mirror.

rmg313
07-18-2003, 06:28 PM
:iagree:

i use dupli-color all the time and use dupli-color everything primer , paint, and gloss coat

the paint will come out like glass

chaos
07-18-2003, 08:11 PM
cartuner... how long do you wait in between wet coats? 20 minutes?

cartuner
07-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Well for me i wait 5-6 minutes because i paint outdoors in the heat and after each spray coat i let it bake in the sun and heat for a 5-6 minutes. so the way i paint is 3-4 mist coats followed by 2-3 wet coats this also depends on the color depth i am shooting for. and on all coats i wait about 5-6 minutes. and like rmg313 use dupli color and primer fince they are made to work together as for the clear coat you can use testors #1814 for a quick deep gloss coat the other way is to hand polish out the paint but hey it's your model so how you want your shine is totally your choice. but remember every person has their own way of spraying so my best advice is try things out before getting into a "real" build up take a few junk bodys and try out spraying and see what works best for you. remember even the way you hold the spray can can affect your spraying so try and try again till you get it and it feels right to you.

SniperX13
07-19-2003, 02:35 PM
I had bought some duplicolor clearcoat along with the duplicolor paint.... any words of advice on the clearcoat, is it ok to use, or stay away from it like the plague?

:twak:

cartuner
07-19-2003, 04:20 PM
The clear top coat needs to be applied in many many layers if your going to use that for the shine on your car. but the upside is if you use it you can place three coats to get a shine then buff it out to get a quicker high shine. since your buffing out clear it tends to go faster :biggrin: now if you plan on using decals and the clear top coat remember to spray at least two nice mist coats to cover the car before apply the declas other wise you run the cjance of having a different shade of color around the edge of the decal. so myself i spray two mist coats then decal then 8 or so coats of the top coat depending on the level of shine i am going for.

Add your comment to this topic!