Modeling Noob

Nrbumgard
07-18-2003, 02:06 PM
So I have been reading your forum for like an hour now and looking at some of the amazing pictures some of you have taken of your models in progress and finished models.

Now I want to build a model. Now Im only 17 but I havent built a model since I was 8 or 9.

So what level of kit would you recomend for me? Also are their brand that are better than other brands?

What do you need to build a model that looks real good?

I have read the noobie fact thread and I found the information helpfull but I need more help.

TheSyndicate
07-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Congrats on being probably the first person here to read the FAQ before asking questions. :bigthumb:

Level 2 on Revell/AMT kits is a good place (seeing how most are that level :iceslolan )

Tamiya kits seem around the same difficulty level (general road cars, not race cars), with some kits having engines and others not.

Tamiya is probably the best brand, since the kits are cleanly done with parts fitting nicely and little flash/mold lines.

Revell-Monogram isn't bad, but the quality varies by kit.

AMT, IMO, doesn't spend a lot of time making their kits easy to work with, but a lot of times a certain car is only available by them.

Time is one of the largest factors in making a model look good. Refer to the Completed/In-Progress section and read up on different people's builds on kits. A lot of them include a step-by-step process of the build.

Hope that helps, and welcome to AF! :dogpile:

RaceMySS_454
07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
well as of right now im 17 also.....i've been building models since i was about 10 but than around 13 i stoped.....than started again this year....and it seemed like when i restarted i lost all my skills.....anyways....i recommend getting a revell model something like a classic car.....i have no clue what you like so its hard to tell you what to get....but don't start with tamiya...im just saying that because there models are a little more money and i wouldn't get one as your first incase you mess up or something....well good luck and if you need any help just ask......

-RaceMySS_454

Rich

ales
07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, hi, noob :) (should be pronounced in a way similar to AA meetings)

Welcome here, and let me warn you that this hobby is quite addictive, and also takes a lot of time and money. And practice, so don't be discouraged if your first several models don't turn out 100% like you'd like them to. We're here to give advice and to help each other.

Speaking of which, rad through the FAQ thread (you'll find it on the top of the page - it's marked "important". Then read through it again. It will answer most of your questions. Useful stuff. Our gallery is also good for inspiration.

So enjoy your stay, and hope to see something from you soon.

Nrbumgard
07-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Well I have another question for you. When you do a model where do you start? Do you sand the parts and paint it first? Or do you put it togeather and then paint and sand it? From some of the models I have seen on here it looks like you sand and paint first.

Honoturtle
07-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ales
Speaking of which, rad through the FAQ thread (you'll find it on the top of the page - it's marked "important". Then read through it again. It will answer most of your questions. Useful stuff. Our gallery is also good for inspiration.

Make sure to read a third time for good luck! :thumbsup:

Anyways, WELCOME! Me, for a first kit after a long break, most of the time I recommend Revell/Monogram Skill 2 kits. This is the case here, if you already built a car before then you should be able to take one of them on. Skill one kits aren't really worth it, at all, unless there's a specific car that you wanted to build, then buy them.

As mentioned, Tamiya is the highest grade of plastic models that I know of too. It's molded well, and everything fits properly with little to no modifications.

Patience is also a must! You must be able to not rush things, and don't give up if something goes wrong, take a brief break and try again. :)

Nrbumgard
07-18-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry if I do not get everything from the faq their is just so much information to read.

RaceMySS_454
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Nrbumgard
Well I have another question for you. When you do a model where do you start? Do you sand the parts and paint it first? Or do you put it togeather and then paint and sand it? From some of the models I have seen on here it looks like you sand and paint first.

you usally piant first than assemble well it depends on what your working on.....for engines i assemble mode of it than paint it...since the heads and stuff are the same color.....but...yes paint first than assemble

MR-2RaCeR
07-18-2003, 03:35 PM
If you are building an engine, I say you paint the necessary parts first, then assemble it. Same goes with the other parts of the car.

bah humbug
07-18-2003, 04:30 PM
The FAQ I think is not like a book. You just don't read it.
If you have a question, you look at the FAQ if it has a similar question.

You click on the question bada bing bada boom :thefinger
And 50% chance it's the answer to your question.

But wait, there's more. :thefinger: Before you make a new thread you GO TO THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Search a couple of times, look hard before you ask.

If you're question is not there obviously you make a thread about it.

:wave: Hello, and Welcome to Af.

DJ RaYgU
07-18-2003, 05:25 PM
If u have problems finding stuff from the FAQS, just use the search tool.

Nrbumgard
07-18-2003, 05:41 PM
This afternoon I went out and bought a Tamiya Toyota Supra. I have not yet started building on it. I need to go out and buy some sand paper first.

Also when you are working on your modles do you use some kind of mask over your face and nose?

And I have read the Faq on painting. I plan to sand and paint first. But I have been wondering about the airbrush. To me it seems that airbrushes are quite expensive. So is their a good way to hand pain a car? My mother is a painter and she says that she will help me hand paint it.

bigfrit
07-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Hi, whatever you do do not brush paint the outside of your car!

Do that using spray cans (tamiya ones preferably)

And as your question about masks and stuff...

I have no idea how nocive (sp?)they are, but I do my painting outside or in a place where nobody comes, as it smells terrible and it's quite toxic.

My advice is not to spray paint inside or in your room (I think your parents won't want a stench for 24 hrs? , right ? )

If you do this, no need for a mask I think , t I m not a doctor.

I do this for about5 years adn haven't died , so...

maybe you 'll loose a couple of millions of braincells, just look at all these adicted modelers here (I think they have llost it due to inhaling too much fumes :wink:

Oh, and welcome :wink:
Olivier

fullbloodchop01
07-18-2003, 05:46 PM
if u are goin to handpaint, i say u talk to, .porckchop. , if i rember correctly, he used to hand paint his cars and they seems to come out damn sweet :smile:

hobbes874
07-18-2003, 05:49 PM
I started building models just this summer :D so i'm a n00b as well :icon16: I suggest getting the Tamiya R33 skyline, It was my first model and it came out beautifully. Good luck modeling :bigthumb:

Nrbumgard
07-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I have started doing a little sanding on the supra but thats it at the moment.

Again I thank everyone for their help.

DJ RaYgU
07-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Nrbumgard
This afternoon I went out and bought a Tamiya Toyota Supra. I have not yet started building on it. I need to go out and buy some sand paper first.

Also when you are working on your modles do you use some kind of mask over your face and nose?

And I have read the Faq on painting. I plan to sand and paint first. But I have been wondering about the airbrush. To me it seems that airbrushes are quite expensive. So is their a good way to hand pain a car? My mother is a painter and she says that she will help me hand paint it.

Never ever handpaint larger surfaces. It will come out looking like crap 90% of the time. Uneven finishes and "wrinkles" are results of handpainting. You're better off using Tamiya spray or airbrushes. Handpainting is okay for the inside stuff like the engine components or even for the interior. Buy sandpaper in bulk from Home Depot or something, they're the same as the the hobby sandpaper, and they cost less too. And for the mask, always wear one when spray painting. I paint in my garage with my garage door halfway opened and another door leading to my backyard open. That way, the air coming in from the other door will will sucked out through the garage door, carrying the toxic fumes out the garage door. Anyways, paint smells worst than shit.

Add your comment to this topic!