How to use these??

07-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Hi just need a bit of help in using these etch parts.....
Sorry abotu thsi i'm very new to using these upgrade parts

For this one i know what 1,2,3,4 is for but from then on i have no idea where to use these other parts.....
Can you guy give me suggestion or pictures.... as example for where they are used.....

How do i use these parts A,B and C

07-18-2003, 04:10 AM
Try this link and look under the photo etch section. Also has a part on how they're made.

07-18-2003, 04:25 AM
a, b , c are windshield wipers. they have scored lines where they should be bent. ive never bought this companies parts but is pretty standard stuff. i use studio 27 and they include directions. anyhow they are wipers and generally you cut the wiper blade from the plastic part of a model kit and wrap the PE part around it. as for the top picture. those are all different types of hood pins and it depends on type of car to decide which ones to use. generally a PE kit has many sets of pins or what ever the subject so you can use it on many kits. does this help?

07-18-2003, 04:39 AM
after futher inspection... 7, 8, 9, on the first picture are little bolts. you can use them on the engine or body or any where a bolt might be to add realism. also more general... you need to use a CA type glue for all PE (photo-etched) parts. picture is too fuzzy to help with the other parts but i hope this helps. and remember.... when you buy an up-grade PE set like these there are always lots of extras to use on any model. i call them "universal" up-grades. you need to know about real cars to use most sets. alot of the parts you dont know what they are for might be seat belt parts that you use with plastic strips but i cant say for sure cus the pictures arent crisp enough.

07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
abotu those bonnet pins some of them i have never seen before on a car eg.... 13 and 14 or 6 where do these usually go on the car??

07-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Davoaldo
abotu those bonnet pins some of them i have never seen before on a car eg.... 13 and 14 or 6 where do these usually go on the car??
I believe I've seen 13 and 14 in 50s and 60s race car, like Ferrari, Maserati or Jaguar. Most of them have a small front hinged engine hood, and two are used at the back corner of the hood.
6 can be found in various prototype and IMSA racers, and they're usually fastening the front or rear cowl to the bottom half of the body or chassis.

07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
They look tricky to use.

Major :)

07-18-2003, 11:25 PM
6 are Dzus fasteners. In real life, they are just a flathead screw (kind of) that only require a pressed 1/4 turn to open, like child safe medicine bottles. I haven't actually seen them on cars with my own eyes, just aircraft (all over the cowl or wherever the engine compartment is), though I've heard of them being used to attach underbody panels, like diffusers and the like. Hirofkd is probably right, too, though I have no idea. He seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

07-19-2003, 12:59 AM
13 and 14 are tow hooks i believe.

could someone please explain to me what these "kits" are and how you get them??
can you use them on tamiya and fujimi 1/24 cars??
please explain because im new to modeling.


07-19-2003, 01:43 AM
these are Photo-etch (PE) detail kits. they are made of thin metal and are just used to add detail to any brand of model. for instance.... say your building an engine for a model and the valve covers have little molded in bolts. instead of painting these little nubs silver you can glue a PE bolt there instead to make it look more real. there available at good hobby stores, ebay, and on-line hobby stores.

07-19-2003, 02:26 AM
:biggrin: waaaaaa coool thx guys for the detail explaination now i know where to use them hehhehe
but i don't think i'll be using 13 and 14 much cause i hardly get classic cars....
but thanks soooo much for the detail explaination :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!