Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 civic b18c5 swap?

zacharyaus
07-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this stuff.
I will have my 94 civic soon and since it'll probably have around 100K on it I wanted to put a new b18c5 into it.
I was wondering how much the engine + the installation would cost plus anything else I will need.

any suggestions against this would be find since I am not tottally set on this I just have a few thousand to burn and I though this would be the best thing to do.

Thanks alot,
Zack

whtteg
07-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Well as much as i like seeing B18C5's in civics I would have to tell you it is not worth it. Don't get me wrong it is a great motor but rather pricey also. It would probably run you from $5k to $6 and it would be a stock B18C5. For that much you could have a modded B18C1 or a biult turbo B18B1 pushing down some real hp. I think the motor would be better siuted for a show car IMO

zacharyaus
07-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Ya, I did a little more reasearch on it and found out how much it's really gonna be for a b18c5 :eek7:

Cool, the b18b1 looks good with 140hp and 120lb's.

Do you know somewhere online I could look to find out how much these swaps are gonna cost?

After I get the civic I'll have a around $3500 to spend on mods so if I should be spending my money somewhere else I would appreciate any suggestions...I don't even have the civic yet so any suggestions are fine :)

Thanks

iroibeirt
07-17-2003, 09:00 PM
if ur planning on turbo-ing ur car, get the b18c1

otherwise, i recommend you save up more money and go for the full b18c5 swap,

i recently rode in a 96 hatch with a b18c5 and supporting mods, and a few grand invested into his suspension, it was by far one of the sweetest cars i've ever ridden in, hes running low 13s with intake, test pipe, exhaust, HKS cam gears, higher compression pistons, and some more stuff, very fast and nice car

whtteg
07-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Ya you could get the B18C1 and boost it but fir the same amount of money you can buy a B18B1 and build it and boost alot more and have alot more power. I fyou are thinking all motor then B18C1 or B18C5 is the answer, turbo B18B1 is the answer.:bigthumb:

iroibeirt
07-17-2003, 10:25 PM
right, sorry i meant b18b, for some reason i was thinking b18c1 was the ls motor,

zacharyaus
07-18-2003, 02:53 AM
Thank alot guys!

I guess I only have one more question:

About how much do you think it would cost to buy a b18b, install it and then turbo it?

Thank alot for the help so far, I appreciate it
Zack

iroibeirt
07-18-2003, 03:17 AM
=/

after owning a turbo car, the only thing i can tell u, is i would stick with the all motor b18c5 plan, (not that i dont love my car with a passion) its just that, the idea of turbo-ing a non-turbo car is ALOT of work, it really depends on what ur going for, if this car is ur daily driver, i wouldnt turbo,

not only do turbo cars require a lot (I MEAN ALOT) more maintenence, all-motor cars just feel cleaner and are much more friendly on your pocket,

it might seem more at first to buy the b18c5, but in the long run itll save you a lot of money, that is, not turboing ur car,

if ur looking to turbo ur car, after getting the LS motor (which is already 3-4000$, ur looking at another 4-5000$ ur going to spend on a turbo kit, and that does not include supporting mods (exhaust, downpipe, boost controller, fuel components, new clutch, fatter rims and tires for more traction, better suspension, the list goes on)

where as if u go for the all motor route, u can spend an initial 6-7000$ and cruise around in a freaking nice car =)

if u have money and time to invest into this car, and its NOT ur daily driven car, then by all means, turbo that mean mother, get the LS motor, slap a greddy tdo5-18g turbo kit on there, slap some supporting mods on, and ur free to run stock boost (about 5-6psi) and have a lot of fun, as for running over stock boost, ur going to need to get some internal work done on the motor to make it more robust, and a lot more supporting mods, such as clutch and rims and tires and stuff that was listed above,

hope this helps

89B18C1CRX
07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
I have to say go with a all motor b18c1. Get the GSR and just build it all motor. If built right you'll have a serous car. The b18b idea is godo for turbo but then again with a turbo you get a lot more matience. If you spend about 3 gs on teh b18c1 and then just start building the motor up with inteernals and what not then you will have a very strong car also be puttin otu some serious numbers. Then again if you only ahve 3500 to spend on extras you can always go with the good old b16 and turbo that, that will save you money becuase the motor is about a grand cheaper then a b18 motor, and the b16 has good compression ratios for turboing.

whtteg
07-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by iroibeirt

...if ur looking to turbo ur car, after getting the LS motor (which is already 3-4000$, ur looking at another 4-5000$ ur going to spend on a turbo kit, and that does not include supporting mods (exhaust, downpipe, boost controller, fuel components, new clutch, fatter rims and tires for more traction, better suspension, the list goes on) ....

All opf that can be had for a lot less, and $3-4k for a B18B1 is rediculous, you can find them for $1100 all day long, complete and a complete swap with Ecu, wire harness, tranny and motor for around $1500- $2000. You could have a ls motor that could put down 250whp for around $5k easily. What will $5k get with the B18C1? Not alot more than just the swap!

iroibeirt
07-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by whtteg

All opf that can be had for a lot less, and $3-4k for a B18B1 is rediculous, you can find them for $1100 all day long, complete and a complete swap with Ecu, wire harness, tranny and motor for around $1500- $2000. You could have a ls motor that could put down 250whp for around $5k easily. What will $5k get with the B18C1? Not alot more than just the swap!

including the swap? if u say it can be done in $2000, then what can $3000 get you that can make ur car from 140hp to the crank to 250hp to the WHEELS without forced induction? modifying all-motor engines can get very complicated as well,

whtteg
07-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by iroibeirt

including the swap? if u say it can be done in $2000, then what can $3000 get you that can make ur car from 140hp to the crank to 250hp to the WHEELS without forced induction? modifying all-motor engines can get very complicated as well,

The extra $3000 can get you to 250whp easily with FI, no not N/A b/c the B18B1 is not a good motor for N/A! The B18C1 and B18C5 are both good for N/A but the B18B1 is better for FI:bigthumb:

iroibeirt
07-19-2003, 10:15 AM
i mean, $3000 is not gunna get you very far for forced induction, it might buy u the actual kit, but what about supporting mods?

whtteg
07-19-2003, 10:50 AM
That motor can hold 12psi fo intercooled boost on stock internals. As long as he gets a complete kit with injectors, fuel management, fuel pump,etc. he will be able to run 12psi and put down some nice hp. I dunno if 250whp is what the result will be but it won't be far off from that and it would be able to kill any B18C1 or B18c5 notor that has been swaped in for the same amount of money:bigthumb:

zacharyaus
07-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Cool, you guys are extremely helpful :)

I came across a h22a for $2300 200hp
Would i be able to fit that into my car? Is it a good engine for that price? I've pretty much decided on the b18c1 but if the h22a is better than I will get that.

Thanks,
Zack

sihondasracer
07-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by zacharyaus
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this stuff.
I will have my 94 civic soon and since it'll probably have around 100K on it I wanted to put a new b18c5 into it.
I was wondering how much the engine + the installation would cost plus anything else I will need.

any suggestions against this would be find since I am not tottally set on this I just have a few thousand to burn and I though this would be the best thing to do.

Thanks alot,
Zack

i totally agree...a B18C5 is great but 5 g's for that motor and shippin ...and dropin it in...good lord..you could have a 400 H.P. B18C1..no lie..if you were smart get the B18C1 motor....turbo it...blow nitrous into the intercooler...and smoke some teggy r's...

sihondasracer
07-20-2003, 10:10 PM
whoops wrong Quote....lol..i was agreein with...wtteg

89B18C1CRX
07-21-2003, 07:31 AM
The h22 is a really awsome motor though you would have to do some big mods to a lot of your car to first fit in it in then make it work. I know that a few of my buddies have them one in a hatch one in a accord, and they run like hell but they have to do a lot of work just to maintain them. And I dont trust stock motors with FI. And your not gonna get much of a kit for 3 grand that is gonna give 250 hp to the wheels. Im sorry that is just hard to believe.

integragsr98
07-24-2003, 12:48 PM
I say definitely go with the b18b and turbo it, don't get riped off and find some good price, here is what i got for my GS(LS).

full custom turbo kit - $1450 shipped
includes a T3/T4 Garrett turbocharger, Custom turbo manifold, downpipe , Tial waste gate with a custom dump pipe pointed away from the intercooler, HKS Super Sequential Blow Off Valve, big PWR Intercooler, vortech FMU, and a new 3 inch cat.

DSM 450cc injectors -$70 shipped
Thermal 3" turbo exhaust system - $525+shipping
Apexi - SAFC - $225 shipped
MSD 6AL ignition with coil - $250

still got money left over for a skunk 2 intake manifold and FPR.

What more you want for $3000?

:icon16:

whtteg
07-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by integragsr98
I say definitely go with the b18b and turbo it, don't get riped off and find some good price, here is what i got for my GS(LS).

full custom turbo kit - $1450 shipped
includes a T3/T4 Garrett turbocharger, Custom turbo manifold, downpipe , Tial waste gate with a custom dump pipe pointed away from the intercooler, HKS Super Sequential Blow Off Valve, big PWR Intercooler, vortech FMU, and a new 3 inch cat.

DSM 450cc injectors -$70 shipped
Thermal 3" turbo exhaust system - $525+shipping
Apexi - SAFC - $225 shipped
MSD 6AL ignition with coil - $250

still got money left over for a skunk 2 intake manifold and FPR.

What more you want for $3000?

Where did you get the turbo kit from? Are there more? I am interested :iceslolan

sihondasracer
07-24-2003, 05:50 PM
yea me too....where did you get that turbo kit...email me at sihondasracer@hotmail.com...later

integragsr98
07-25-2003, 06:45 PM
ebay baby :bigthumb:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=2421337931

integragsr98
07-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by whtteg

Where did you get the turbo kit from? Are there more? I am interested :iceslolan

one of those once in a life time deal :D I didn't expected it to end at such a low price, but the auction was ending 2 in the morning, i guess everyone was sleeping and forgot to bid hehehe. The seller included the custom downpipe that he had, also i forgot to mention the missin link for the map sensor as well as all the hose, clamps and oil lines, i really like that intercooler though, it's sweet.

Add your comment to this topic!