Is Tamiya Compound no longer sold?

ShOrtyOC714
07-17-2003, 02:38 AM
IS Tamiya Compound no longer sold? Cuz i was trying to find some on hlj.com but i didnt see any more. Is the Tamiya Modeling Wax pretty good? Thanx

TheSyndicate
07-17-2003, 02:47 AM
There was a thread on this a week or so back. I believe it is either no longer carried by HLJ, or Tamiya has stopped producing it.

Tamiya wax is wonderful. It doesn't leave crud in panel lines, and it smells good enough that you'll want to give your model *that extra coat, just in case*:wink:

ShOrtyOC714
07-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Oh ok, cuz i just went to Best1Hobby.com and they had some, i am also wondering other stuff about the Tamiya Wax, dont u think its kinda pricey for a little tiny amount they give u? Is it worth it? Thanx

Chain
07-17-2003, 02:51 AM
FYI, its still in abundance here in Singapore.
Try to order from Rtuned or mediammix if you cant get it elsewhere.

ShOrtyOC714
07-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Oh alright i might try that, Thanx

TheSyndicate
07-17-2003, 03:37 AM
Tamiya wax is somewhat expensive, but I'd say a dollar or two of it goes towards the applicator cloth. If you're happy with automotive caranubas, then stick with them. The change to tamiya isn't going to be the difference between day and night.

doraemon
07-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Tamiya wax is really good as sthesyndicate says, about compound... the problem is not that hlj doesnt have it, the problem is that tamiya is no longer produce it, so you can find compound in other site if they still have stock, when the sites run out of stock... if their wholesalers dont have more in their warehouses.... forget about it, cause tamiya doesnt have any more, I dunno way, but....

CamaroSSBoy346
07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Tower Hobbies has it. for $2 (give or take a few pennies) But they are out. They said they'd be restocking it in mid july.. :confused:

Rtuned
07-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I think hlj is just out of stock, will re-stock again. But I do found out that modeler and Mr Hobby compound are alot more better than Tamiya... just my 2cents...

Rtuned :worshippy :worshippy :worshippy

freakmech
07-17-2003, 03:46 PM
I have a few bottles of Tamiya and i do use it but usually if im showing my car. but for general use i use Novus #1 to polish my kits. it protects better then Tamiya. and Novus #2 is excellent for buffing Acryllic paint as well! try is some time. its funny what Syndicate said about Tamiya... i love the smell of the stuff alot. it smells like... well a car. its weird. also a little trick i do when showing a car is get a little gasoline on a rag end let it evaporate then wipe it on the bottom of the engine. that way when the Judge gets close to the engine to check out the engine he gets a wiff of gas. seems to have a very strong impact on judges. just one more step to the realism!!! also be careful cus gasoline will eat paint up so be sure the gas has evaporated completely.

DJ RaYgU
07-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Tamiya doesn't make compound nemore?! So dats why the local hobbyshop didnt have em'!!. Neways, can't u just use toothpaste, or is toothpaste not as good as the real thing?

joecwlaw
07-17-2003, 10:48 PM
I think there are other alternatives:

Mr. Hobby: Compound 1000

Modeller: Top Compound 2000 http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?MDLS101

Hasegawa: Ceramic Compound http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?HSGTT-25

hobbes874
07-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Hmmm that is strange :bloated: why would tamiya stop making it?

chaos
07-18-2003, 02:49 AM
News to me that they stopped producing it.

Add your comment to this topic!