Repairing panel lines


TURBOSATURN
07-16-2003, 09:46 PM
My girlfriend just recently finished a model, and it was her first attempt at panel lines. She attempted them free hand, and went out of the lines a bit. Does anyone know of any ways to fix the lines without damaging the paint?

TheSyndicate
07-16-2003, 09:52 PM
You mean she filled them in with black/gray paint? Depends what kind of paint she used for the panel lines, and then what paint she used on the body itself.

TURBOSATURN
07-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
You mean she filled them in with black/gray paint? Depends what kind of paint she used for the panel lines, and then what paint she used on the body itself.
She Painted the door panel lines flat black, the paint was acryllic, and the body is painted with enamel.

TheSyndicate
07-16-2003, 10:10 PM
You should be able to rub out the acrylic with some windex on a cotton swab.

TURBOSATURN
07-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the speedy response syndicate, my girlfriend will be very pleased.

TURBOSATURN
07-16-2003, 10:19 PM
One more question, Does it matter if, I use generic windex, and not real "windex." Also do I just wet the q-tip with windex, and rub over the the lines?

bah humbug
07-16-2003, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't go with windex.

The paint may come off but it may come off too fast.

If it were me, I'd polish the black out with autmotive wax.

I haven't tried windex. but it may work. But if it were me just to be sure I'd use automotive wax.

TheSyndicate
07-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Automotive wax isn't an abrasive, so it isn't likely to do a lot.

As long as the generic window cleaner has ammonia in it, the acrylic should rub off fairly well. You don't have to use a cotton swab. A soft cotton cloth will work, too.

bah humbug
07-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
Automotive wax isn't an abrasive, so it isn't likely to do a lot.



Sometimes I use Meguiars automotive wax. I can't remember which one specifically but it's the one with the black mercedes on it.

It takes off the paint so it might work.

But maybe I'll also try windex.

TURBOSATURN
07-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Wow i have really shitty window cleaner, it dosent have ammonia in it. Would just straight ammonia work?

TheSyndicate
07-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Wouldn't try it. Go ahead and try your non-ammonia window cleaner.

ShOrtyOC714
07-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by bah humbug


Sometimes I use Meguiars automotive wax. I can't remember which one specifically but it's the one with the black mercedes on it.

It takes off the paint so it might work.

But maybe I'll also try windex. \

Thats the GOLD Class Meguirs Wax. Is it alot better than reg.? Thanx

TheSyndicate
07-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Shorty4859
\

Thats the GOLD Class Meguirs Wax. Is it alot better than reg.? Thanx

I use meguiar's on my real vehicle, and the Gold Class wax does give a softer, more butter-like shine. It doesn't last more than 3 weeks in varied weather conditions, though.

Meguiar's Hi-Tech #26 gives a hard, clean shine and lasts around a month and a half.

:bigthumb:

Add your comment to this topic!