Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Scribing panel lines..?

Davoaldo
07-16-2003, 08:37 PM
I really need help in scribing striaght panel lines... cause i cannot find a way to scribe a really straight line for example those hood lines...... cause its curve so i can't even use a ruler on it...

Any suggestions or tools i can use to do straight lines??

Jay!
07-16-2003, 08:44 PM
I have a flexible steel ruler... That'd work. I think I got it at a stationery store.

mech0t0
07-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I use DYMO plastic tape, only because I have some at home:biggrin: I find it is very helpful without spending any money. :biggrin:

dag65
07-17-2003, 11:04 AM
I have an old drafting template that my dad gave me years ago. they are really thin metal and work well

freakray
07-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dag65
I have an old drafting template that my dad gave me years ago. they are really thin metal and work well

You mean an eraser shield? I never thought of using one of those, great idea! Now to go and find where I put the one I have...

Originally posted by mech0t0
I use DYMO plastic tape, only because I have some at home I find it is very helpful without spending any money.

That's a good idea, I will have to look into that one too :bigthumb:

dag65
07-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah an eraser shield is what I meant, works great

freakmech
07-17-2003, 12:10 PM
I use the tool below for scribing. i find it holds in the groove better then a razor and you hold it like a pencil so its more comfortable then a panel scribe. plus its much cheaper. and yes there are tons of flexible templates available at hobby and art supply stores. also a tip for existing panel lines. i scribe them with every coat of paint. this keeps a deep groove and after 6 or so coats of paint it starts producing a deep shadow eliminating the need to go back and repaint the lines black. it looks more natural then paint as well especially if the plastic is a different color then the paint.

Add your comment to this topic!