Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vehicle regulations... where to find them?

davewin
07-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Anyone know where to find vehicle regulations for Federal and state approval?

I figure there's the DOT/NHTSA, EPA and then each state has it's own motor vehicle department? I've looked on the web sites of each Fed agency and didn't find much.

chevota
09-18-2003, 05:01 AM
They either don't care or don't know. I'm in CA and I found the most info from the BAR. http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/stdhome.asp

I had to call and talk to the head tech to get actual information, (800-952-5210) everyone else in the chain from DMV to Highway Patrol knew zip. It was almost funny in a way because in the begining I called many different DMV offices and CHP stations in search of info and I got all kinds of different and conflicting answers.

Basically I never got a straight answer from the DMV or CHP, but I built my rig anyway. DMV was a joke, they didn't even look at it! CHP just looked for serial #'s to see if it was stolen. Brake n lamp test. Then the smog check by the state referee and I was done!!! Insurance is thru AAA, but they're insuring it as a '99 Chevy because their computer doesn't have a "kit car" "spc const" "other" button.

Add your comment to this topic!