What does everyone look for in a model kit? What makes a model worth the $$$ to you?

freakmech
07-15-2003, 01:41 AM
the Skyline hype?!? post was a great sucess, i learned alot, thank you.

Now for the bigger question.... What do you look for in a model kit? what do you require from a kit to make you fork over the money to buy it???
accuracy, detail, engine, tuner accessories? how does everyone decide which kit to buy next?

I will start.... With me its every time i see a car in real life that catches my eye I just have to find a model of it. It doesnt matter what kind of car it is either. just anything i hadnt seen yet. for example my mom got a brand new Echo... now i dont think the car is all that great looking but i hadnt seen it and promptly went and spent a month trying to locate a Vitz model which was the only alternative. its an obsession with cars in general i guess though ill buy any Ferrari kit and ive got most every type of Nissan as well. in fact the only Nissan im missing that i know is availiable is a Datsun Sunny1600 (if anybody has one please PM me!).
So what do you look for in a kit?

Bloodhound
07-15-2003, 03:52 AM
if it's a hard to find kit, something I really like, or comes with some awesome spares like high rise manifolds or blowers/ ginat rear tyres. most of the time the cars I like don't come with these so it's a necessity to have them in stock.

Ghost_9418
07-15-2003, 03:59 AM
If its cheap and a tamiya kit and under $30 Ill buy it. Or if its a cheap revell kit of a car i like ill get it.

exhaust smoke
07-15-2003, 04:38 AM
What I look for in models? Hmmmmmm, let's see...

1) Almost anything 1/24th that is made by Tamiya. (I suppose that would probably be read as detail in the kit).

2) Subject, i.e, I love Mitsubishi Lancer's, so I'd like to collect & build models of each Evolution. Not doing to badly so far, have got Evo's 3-8. 1 & 2 are a little hard to find (if they exist at all!).

3) Anything driven by Michael Schumacher.

Honoturtle
07-15-2003, 05:31 AM
First I go by the type of car I like ex. Trueno, Camaro, Mustang, Supra, etc. Then the price, if it's too expensive, that's a turn down. Manufacturer, I don't really care for even though Fujimi got me pissed recently, it's mainly about the car, I can deal with the kit problems later. I'll usually not spend more than $30 USD for just the kit, but their are exceptions ;).

ozstrider
07-15-2003, 08:14 AM
I like something thats tuned and you could see it on the road, and possibly own it for real one. Like drifters. A drifter looks awesome as a model, and maybe one day if you like it enough, you could get one yourself.
And cars that have alot of potential. Like civics and supras.
Plus any japanese car.:biggrin:

primera man
07-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Mainly buy because it is a kit that has caught my eye and makes me want to build it or i've seen one already done and want to build one

hobbes874
07-15-2003, 10:59 AM
It has to be under $30 and made by Tamiya usually :D I always go for cars that I dream about ex: Skylines, Rx-7's, WRC etc.

supratuner
07-15-2003, 11:03 AM
It has to be a car i like in the real world! thats pretty much it, if i really like it im willing to pay huge bucks for it. If i could find a Veilside SUprA C-1 in 1/24 that was plastic like all the other veilside models i would be willing to pay $100 usa for it. just to show an example or what id pay:biggrin:

MR-2RaCeR
07-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Anything under $30 that i like.

sugarcaddy
07-15-2003, 12:07 PM
good question---

I go by my gut feeling on a lot of my models. I like a challange, so some times I will get a simple kit to convert it into something more than it ever was intended for. Also I have a fondness for tuner type cars, so just about anything from this is an open door for me to build. And sometimes it just something that catches my eye and says hey this looks like it would be a cool model to build. I build more than just cars, so a tank, plane or boat model is right up my alley!!:iceslolan

Scott

Chain
07-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by freakmech
the Skyline post was a great sucess, i learned alot, thank you.
Now for the bigger question.... What do you look for in a model kit? what do you require from a kit to make you fork over the money to buy it???
accuracy, detail, engine, tuner accessories? how does everyone decide which kit to buy next?

Not necessarily in priority:
1)Has to be accuracy. Dont wanna waste my time re-adjusting. Too busy.
I rather spend the time improving or modifying according to reference pics of the real cars and if money permits, add in PE parts.
2)Has to be worth the $$. More parts, more detailed like an enzo or williams FW24.
3)Has to be a kit that is in a particular type like F1 which I favour now.
4)Engine details would be nice e.g: CLK-GTR, Toyota GT1TS020, CLK DTM...etc
5)Decaling details.
6)Challenging kits.

Layla's Keeper
07-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Accuracy is a must to me no matter what the cost. I was upset with AMT because they put the wrong bumper in their 1966 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 W30 kit and the bumper is a big part of the W30 package even though it's a really nice kit otherwise. Making it right should always be job one.

After that, fit and/or detail relative to cost is crucial. If I'm going to pay Tamiya costs, I DAMN WELL expect the kit to go together as well as a Tamiya. Or, for that matter, Fujimi Enthusiast series kit prices should equal Enthusiast Series detail.

Finally, subject matter is important, but not critical. There are many cars I love that there are kits of that I will not buy because they aren't worth the cost. If I hit the lotto, everything on my shelf would be Studio 27, Fisher Model Works and Pattern, Modelhaus, RMCoM, and Le Mans Miniatures. But, until that happens, I can't always justify $70 for a kit so it had better be one spectacular kit at that price for me to buy it.

dag65
07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Pure coool factor!!!!!!!!! If it makes me go HMMMMMM with thtat one I could......

Ferrari TR
07-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Subject matter!

SAE mag. asked this question a few years back and the answer they got was PRICE!

I build everything from snap kits to EM/high-tech stuff and my choices are based on subject matter not price or parts count.
If I have a choice I seek the best kit of the subject, but there is just not a choice that often.

My last 2 models were built from snap/simple kits and my next few will be as well (in progress cars). From there I have a couple of Tamiya Ferrari F-50's that are to become full-tilt-boggie contest monsters(p-e, CF decals, plumbing and lots of scratch)!

"Whatever makes you happy!" Hobbies are susposed to be fun, after all!

:tongue:

UKSupraboy
07-15-2003, 04:11 PM
For me it's mainly the subject. For instance I am currently working on a couple of Studio27 Supras, not too happy about the high price, nor is the missus, but it's the only option for those cars.

I also have a list of about 40 rally cars that will show how they have evolved over the last 30 years very nicely that I want to get hold of in the next year or so, some OOP or resin only, but I will pay whatever I have to, to get the collection I want.

Richie

CamaroSSBoy346
07-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Anything under $20, anything that has a turbo, or anything that has a V8.

willimo
07-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Octagon
1.6 liters of displacement doesn't make you slow. 5.0 liters doesn't make you fast. But what does 1.5 liters of pushrod straight four make you? An MGB.

HAHAHAHA

Funny man, tell another.

willimo
07-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Oh, for me, I usually just kind of wade through models and don't care about them. Then one day, for no real reason, it will occur to me that I must have that car! So I look it up, see if Tamiya makes one. I will pay about any price for that particular car, if Tamiya makes it.
If they don't, I see who does and see if the price is fair. Of course, I look and see if the car has a version with a motor, better detail or whatnot. But at that point, it's all just a technicality. I just must have that car, at any cost.

Layla's Keeper
07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Another one?

Okay....

OHV, OHC, EFI, VTEC, VVTi, VANOS, SVT, SLP, GTR, GTI, AMG...

...I love Alphabet Soup, but it won't make you faster.

Integra06
07-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Price, whether I like the 1:1 version of the car, engine detail, overall detail, and quality. That narrows most of the kits I buy to Tamiya because of the exceptional molds, variety of cars, and detail of them.

fullbloodchop01
07-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by primera man
Mainly buy because it is a kit that has caught my eye and makes me want to build it or i've seen one already done and want to build one :werd: :iagree:

Jumpman_Z
07-16-2003, 12:00 AM
As long as it's a car that I like, I want it. When there's more than one model of the same car, I'd rather have one that has an engine.

themodelkid
07-16-2003, 12:07 AM
I like anything that i think is cool, or isnt a new AMT. Older ones are fine but newer ones, no. Or something that out of the ordinary cars you dont see everyday, or out of production cars. I like anyhting really, just as long as its not a weird looking thing. lol

(_S200_)
07-16-2003, 12:46 AM
ill buy whatever catches my eye and suddenly feel the need to build...if its made by tamiya...and i can aford it ...

freakmech
07-16-2003, 12:20 PM
come on everyone.... you should all have some input on this. if this hits 100 posts ill personally send this as a fax to all the major modelling companies. promise.... perhaps we can make an impact! power to the people... words are stronger then glue:sorry:

TireGaint
07-18-2003, 10:46 PM
1. Anything driven by Michael Schumacher. Sauber C11, 190E EvoII, Jordan191, B192, B195, F310B, F1-2000, F2001, F2002, F2003-GA, and until his last racing car.

2. Anything from Tamiya(WRC, DTM) hopefully the new MB SL500

3, Anything from Ferrari (F40, F50, Enzo, 360, IVECO TurboStar-truck).

:bigthumb:

Jumpman_Z
07-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Oh yeah, I really like models that come with drivers or more than one set of wheels.

Major774
07-19-2003, 07:29 AM
I go for Tamiya kits now because of the quality. I usually like the cars with loads of decals because they make the car look good once they are all on.

Major :)

jomz
07-19-2003, 08:43 AM
1. full engine/engine bay detail
2. extra wheels (which given as it is should be very nice i.e: some AMT ERTL kits have "custom" and "stock" option parts).
3. "catchy" brand of the car, usually associated with being catchy is my own dream of owning one like it -- or just sheer admiration of the car.

MythosGR
07-19-2003, 10:21 AM
To be honest I'm partly addicted in modelling so there are times that I must get a kit(j/k) but usually I find my self buying kits only because I got an idea the night before...other than that

Passion.I love Porsche's(specially the older ones) and I wouldn't say no to good and quality tuners(JDM,California or Euro style)...
I admire Ferrari's(one GTO,one F40,one F50 and one ENZO is the ultimate collection)and love having them in my self as item's of passion...
BUt generally there are projects that I just want to build (for example the Civic blended with a Evo Vi kit which is something that I don't love but I'm dieng to do it as a project)
And beatiful cars are aways bonus(the A110,older Alfa romeos,Countach,Jagouar's E and the list goes on and on)

P.S:Not in love with rally cars and F1...Never felt like building one but have some as future projects just to get my decal skills up to the par

Quality wise I love a good tamyia kit,Hasewaga went as good as it gets and my Fujimi 928 was perfect so I don't regret any money spent until now...

Price is not a big factor if I really want to build something but the budget is limited(but steal some times from other needs).I prefer to get less models that I like than buy more cheap models or regreting later that I didn't payed something extra for a beter kit...

freakmech
07-20-2003, 04:49 PM
i just wanted to add a note to Mythos coment becuase i agree with your post as this is how i look at kit purchases. Im an exotic freak as well, mostly Ferrari, but many more in the closet(xj220,911 gt2,3,spyder,alfa GTa etc...). but i thought is was ammusing that you find Countach a "beautiful" car. IMO i dont like Lambo's at all except for the Muira which is wicked but i cant find the kit anywhere. just my 2 cents... i just thing Lambo's are ugly as hell.

DJ RaYgU
07-20-2003, 06:18 PM
For me, I would get any car model that I use in Sega GT 2002 (pretty much an xbox version of Grand Turismo 3). :smile:

bigfrit
07-21-2003, 09:53 AM
1. The overall design of the car, wether I like it's appearance or not .

2.Originality; don't want to make a daily driver car

3.Milestone car ; a car that has actually made an impact in racing or in history of the car.

4.Challenge. I love making interesting cars , even if they are originally made so badly by the manufacturers, I like improving detail in modelkits.

That's about it, money, pieces, detail and such are not such a big issue, just make whatever interests you .

Olivier

Add your comment to this topic!