jrgrey
07-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Which do you think is better the...
1994 RX-7 or the
1995 Eclipse or the
1996 Supra

turbo2nr
07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
umm there is no such thing as a eclipse tt..
it comes single turbo...
and how can you put a eclipse in the same class as a supra and rx-7.. it doesnt stand a chance stock vs. stock...

n2o4ever
07-15-2003, 03:11 PM
there are too many of these dumb questions goin around:loser:

btracer
07-15-2003, 06:09 PM
your an ass for even listing that poll since theres no such thing as an eclipse tt.... you dint even specify GST or GSX and both are single turbos that dont even compare to a supra or rx7....

dayna240sx
07-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by btracer
your an ass for even listing that poll since theres no such thing as an eclipse tt.... you dint even specify GST or GSX and both are single turbos that dont even compare to a supra or rx7....

Ditto

there has never been a DSM that was even in the same league as the RX-7.

It is okay to disagree, because it is okay to be wrong.

igor@af
07-18-2003, 08:38 PM
jrgrey -
do you have some pictures of your cars that we could see?

TheSyndicate
07-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Looks to be the typical 10 year old that has watched way too many car movies...

blasian_man
07-29-2003, 03:00 PM
i would choose the eclipsett cuz those is da shiet, like on faf and you can put naz in dat suka and then it would kill the supratt and the zxtt:lol:

Entreri33
08-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Well if you want to break them down this is my take on it.

RX7 = nimble, fast, and a street legal go kart

Supra = fast, heavy, mega power, japanese version of a muscle car.

Eclipse = replacement for the Starion/Conquest using the galant sedan platform quick for a daily commuter but will get run over by mustangs and camaros when leaving the school parking lot, but the only thing that students can afford with out mommy and daddy helping.

RX_speed
08-10-2003, 07:21 PM
for some reason alot of people think that a stock DSM is any competition to an FD :rolleyes:

91Intergra
08-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Not to be an ass or anything, i dont know jack about the RX-7 but a guy thats boots around in his car his daddy paid for (90 rx-7 i believe) treats it like its a block of solid gold. He yap his trap about it crushing anything, and my buddies civic sir smoked him.
Now i have no idea if it was turbo or not, but if the sir beet his ass then the eclipse could be in that catagory.

JeffForSale!
08-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Eclipse will get easily smoked, don't forget its FF

91hondahatchback
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
ok to the guys who said there was never a eclipse (DSM) in a rx7's league i say bs

what if u throw a green turbo in a dsm and boost to 30 psi with huge injectors and alll the add ons and acc. u need for big turbos

plus awd owns jooooo!

that dsm would rape just about any rx7 on the street

dayna240sx
08-15-2003, 09:28 PM
ok to the guys who said there was never a eclipse (DSM) in a rx7's league i say bs

what if u throw a green turbo in a dsm and boost to 30 psi with huge injectors and alll the add ons and acc. u need for big turbos

plus awd owns jooooo!

If you put just as much money into the RX-7 as into the DSM, the RX-7 would "rape" that DSM...

TheSandman900
08-15-2003, 09:46 PM
The RX-7 would ass rapea DSM any day of the week... And the Supra is an overrated, overpriced "Muscle" car that would be out manuvered by the RX-7...

LancasterWannaBe
08-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Quote:
If you put just as much money into the RX-7 as into the DSM, the RX-7 would "rape" that DSM...

:iagree:

Quote:

plus awd owns jooooo!

That was just stupid to say!

It's like saying,
"yeah man, I got a car and put $100k of mods into it and now it's faster than the car that only cost $40k to start with... Prety cool eh???"

:loser:

LancasterWannaBe
08-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah,
RX-7 is the best.

-=Rotary|Dorifto=-
08-22-2003, 02:35 PM
NO CONTEST!

A Eclipse does not belong in the same sentence as an Rx-7, there is no way you can compare a stock Eclipse to an Rx-7. Personaly I'm not a big fan of the Supra or Toyota's AZE, nothing but 13B for me.

KORBBOY
08-23-2003, 12:13 AM
eclipse tt??? what in the world...
i think rx-7s r way to go,
but i will take a eclipse GSX or rx-7 or a supra anyday....

darthlinux42
08-26-2003, 11:37 PM
an rx-7 would beat the living shit out of an eclipse. the supra too. did you get the idea that an eclipse is any where as good as a rx-7 or a supra after watching 2 fast 2 furious? 'cuse if you did, you're a stupid bitch! :screwy:

leolo007
08-27-2003, 01:00 AM

I dont follow dragracing all that much, but I thought RX7 were the record holders with street tires until they started building awd DSMs. So I would have to disagree with you on that one.

dayna240sx
08-27-2003, 08:58 AM
I dont follow dragracing all that much, but I thought RX7 were the record holders with street tires until they started building awd DSMs. So I would have to disagree with you on that one.

Do some more research,
maybe also look into Abel Ibarra's RX-7

Entreri33
08-28-2003, 07:25 PM
I had an 86 non turbo RX7 and it was quicker than non turbo Eclipses stock for stock even being 10 or more years older than the competition. Once I started modding it I wa able to catch the stock AWD eclipses.

LancasterWannaBe
08-29-2003, 04:31 AM
I was just thinking and, can you imagine how much it would cost to rebuild the entire driveline of an AWD car because you exceeded the max power of the componants? It'd be a lot wouldn't it?

crankwalk 2g
09-02-2003, 04:38 PM
I agree that the RX-7 is an amazing car and it can out handle the Supra and the eclipse, but don't forget that a FD3S is still a very expensive car(considering that there hasn't been a new one sold in North America since the '95-'96 model year). A '95 Eclipse GSX can be found dirt cheap and with the money you save it can easily be made into a 10 second car.

The Eclipse may not look as good as the FD3S and it might handle like a brick with that much power, but it can hold its own in the 1/4 mile without breaking the bank.

Check out these stats on the three cars:

'95 Eclipse GSX
0-60 = 6.4 sec
1/4 = 14.9 @92mph

'95 RX-7
0-60 = 5.3
1/4 = 14.1

'95 Supra
0-60 = 5.1 sec
1/4 = 13.5 @105mph

dayna240sx
09-02-2003, 06:55 PM
'95 RX-7
0-60 = 5.3
1/4 = 14.1

'95 Supra
0-60 = 5.1 sec
1/4 = 13.5 @105mph

BUT supras cost about twice as an rx-7, its really easy to make an rx-7 as fast as the supra.

crankwalk 2g
09-02-2003, 10:48 PM
BUT supras cost about twice as an rx-7, its really easy to make an rx-7 as fast as the supra.

Thats true.

Its the point I was trying to make, people come on here and say stupid comments like an RX-7 will kill an Eclipse, of course it will it costs more and was made with the intensions of being a pure sports car and thats where the higher cost comes from.

Thats like saying a McLaren will destroy a RX-7, no shit, but if you put the same amount of money and technology into the RX-7 it will eat McLarens for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cars should only be compared directly if they are in the same class otherwise the argument is pointless.

LancasterWannaBe
09-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Yeah but if you really want to get into that....
Say you spend $30k on a supra. Give me that same $30k and I'll completely rebuild a car that'll beat about anything.
If you spent $700 on the car, thats $29,300 you can put into the damn thing for an engine, transmission, suspension, steering.... And damn, that car would fly!

You really can't start saying "with the money I saved I did this to make my car faster..." Because then it's all about how you spend money and not the cars you choose.

Besides, I think the stock supra would be the better foundation for maximum power mods as there are many 1000+ hp supras. I would love to see an Eclipse make that kind of power, but I don't think you could do it with the stock engine block. (Could you make 1000 hp with a 2 rotor wankle?)

Wasn't this all about the Supra, RX-7, and Eclipse as stock cars from the factory??
If you start saying, "well I can just modify it and..." the conversation becomes completely pointless.
And everyone knows better 1/4 mile times are about cubic dollors anyway.
:2cents:

dayna240sx
09-03-2003, 10:14 PM
(Could you make 1000 hp with a 2 rotor wankle?)

If you start saying, "well I can just modify it and..." the conversation becomes completely pointless.
And everyone knows better 1/4 mile times are about cubic dollors anyway.
:2cents:

Actually yes, a 2 rotor is capable of 1000+ HP but then you get into the whole, non stock "block" and many wheelbarrows full of money..

Entreri33
09-07-2003, 02:18 PM
I agree its true to make an FD fast but somehting that alot of people forget is that the FC has essentially the same engine (minus the vaccuum nightmares) and if the same mods were made to it then it would be just as fast at a fraction of the cost.

And I have heard that the FC rear suspention is slightly better for drag racing than the FD but have never been able to confirm that one way or the other.

klohiq
09-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Let's see how long that 1000+hp rx7 lasts...I'm sure the Eclipse and especially the Supra will outlast it. A Supra may be a little heavy, but if you're comparing speed only and for the same price a supra can out perform those cars in a straight line and be moded for less. And where on the street will you be able to out-drive a car...if you're going fast you are on the highway with no turns...back roads you aren't going to be above much more than 80-90...which yes that will stress the Supra's tires a bit more, but I'm sure any straight will allow it to catch up and surpass an rx7.

Eclipse I agree is not in the same class...it's slower, but it can still be a reliable and fast daily driver which I can't say about an rx7.

ballchain
09-14-2003, 04:01 PM
You should have used the 3000GT VR4 as a comparison to the RX-7 and Supra if you were going to use a DSM product. The Eclipse only came in Single Turbo model with either GST (Turbo) or GSX (All-Wheel Drive/Turbo).

klohiq
09-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Yeah and where's the Skyline? No nissan to be seen here...no 300zx even.

crankwalk 2g
09-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Let's see how long that 1000+hp rx7 lasts...I'm sure the Eclipse and especially the Supra will outlast it. A Supra may be a little heavy, but if you're comparing speed only and for the same price a supra can out perform those cars in a straight line and be moded for less. And where on the street will you be able to out-drive a car...if you're going fast you are on the highway with no turns...back roads you aren't going to be above much more than 80-90...which yes that will stress the Supra's tires a bit more, but I'm sure any straight will allow it to catch up and surpass an rx7.

Eclipse I agree is not in the same class...it's slower, but it can still be a reliable and fast daily driver which I can't say about an rx7.

Actually the RX-7's rotary will outlast both the Eclipse and Supra engines. The RX-7's only downfall is it's overly complex twin turbo setup, a singe turbo and proper engine management will last you forever. The rotary engine is the most reliable and durable engine design ever made, the only catch is that it has to be perfectly tuned. Just slapping on bolt-ons can destroy the engine without proper tuning. This is why it has a bad rep some loser wanna-be racer will slap on parts and blow the engine up then call it a piece of shit, incase they didn't notice its not a piston engine so dont treat it like one.

but if you're comparing speed only and for the same price a supra can out perform those cars in a straight line and be moded for less.

Says who, the only internal mod an RX-7 needs for high horsepower numbers is a 3mm apex seal, whereas the Eclipse and eventually the Supra will need full engine rebuilds. The RX-7 only has three major parts rotors, housing, and eccentric shaft the average piston engine has a minimum of 40+ major parts, now you tell me wich will cost more to prep for massive horsepower.

Steel
09-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Says who, the only internal mod an RX-7 needs for high horsepower numbers is a 3mm apex seal.

Uh...wrong... You need to port the FUCK out of it to be running 4 digits. And that requires a teardown of the engine. As well as changing the seals. And i dont fully believe that 3mm seals are all that and a bag of chips as some people say.

crankwalk 2g
09-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Uh...wrong... You need to port the FUCK out of it to be running 4 digits. And that requires a teardown of the engine. As well as changing the seals. And i dont fully believe that 3mm seals are all that and a bag of chips as some people say.

Next time read the posts carefully before acting like a smartass, I was talking about engine parts that need to be replaced on both cars not porting. All three cars will have to have the FUCK ported out of it.

Instead of trying to be a know-it-all try adding to the conversation. I could have responded to your response by saying, Uh....wrong...you also need to replace the fuel system, turbos, brakes, engine management, clutch, transmission, drivetrain, wheels, tires, ignition system, air intake system, etc... but that would make no sense since I was originally talking about internal engine components that need replacing.

Jims5543
09-23-2003, 09:13 AM
You guys are comparing apples to oranges. First - how are we supposed to be comparing them. Dyno king? 1/4 mile? Road Course? Autocross?

My RX-7 is set up for Autocross. I will crush a 1000 HP Supra hands down. An Eclipse will not even be in contention.

1/4 Mile - How much horsepower will a supra need to beat me I run 12.3's. I have 320RWHP and my car will run forever with this tune. Keep in mind my car has a rcing suspension best suited for road racing and autocross. It is not setup for 1/4 mile. It will not hook up. My best 60' times are right at 2.0 seconds.

Road course - A Supra would make me nervous but I think I can hang with a 600 HP Supra no problem I can brake later and deeper and can corner way better than a supra.

Dyno King - Supra hands down.

Keep in mind my RX-7 has a smaller turbo on it. Again, I have set this car up to be competative in Autocross and road course. I have a small quick spooling turbo on it. I have also tuned it very conservativly for longevity. I am actually toying with getting back in the dyno and tweeking for 370RWHP but only if I feel it will be reliable. I dont like breaking stuff.

leolo007
09-23-2003, 11:59 PM
I think talking about this car is better than that car is like talking about politics or religion, everybody has their own taste and opinion and nothing will make them change. IMO my civic is the best car ever dont try and convince me otherwise cause it wont work!!...ok im joking but...whatever just trying to settle this argument, its just going to go on forever.

Aruba27
12-23-2003, 01:54 PM
well, here's what i think it really comes down to; power to weight. The supra is a great car, but i think it is just way too heavy. The 3.0 liter in line 6 is a great engine, one of the strongest on the market, absolutely perfect for lots of boost, but it is still way too heavy. the RX-7 would totaly kill it on any type of road course. that's the great thing about rotary power, small, light and powerful. the RX-7's tiny 1.3 liter rotary puts out about 250 hp with the twin turbos, and while the supra puts out about 320, the RX-7 weights much less, and is much better balanced. the engine in the RX is so small that it is mounted behind the front axle, technically making it a mid engine rear wheel drive vehicle. the supra needs that extra power to push around all 3200 pounds, while the RX weights only about 2800 pounds. the eclipse doesn't even have a chance in this category, front wheel drive is just not the way to go. not that the eclipse is a bad car, its just that front wheel drive is awful for sports cars. so overall, you have got to go with the RX-7, plus, with the rotary engine, they can handle boost easy, it's just a stronger combustion, and there is no violent direction change like pistons. You guys make a counter point, i'll make sure to make the best argument i can.

Aruba27
12-23-2003, 02:10 PM

well, you would have to port all 3 motors to get that kind of power, but if i had my pick, i'd do the RX. the aluminum block makes it super easy to do it once you've got the engine in place and all that jazz, and all you have to do is just work in a circular motion till you get the hole the size you want it.

Soyo
12-23-2003, 06:54 PM
yea so this is only like 3 months old :loser:

Aruba27
12-24-2003, 06:01 PM
hey, i just like rxs a lot, and i like to argue, so it's all good.

B_Rock
12-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Besides, I think the stock supra would be the better foundation for maximum power mods as there are many 1000+ hp supras. I would love to see an Eclipse make that kind of power, but I don't think you could do it with the stock engine block. (Could you make 1000 hp with a 2 rotor wankle?)

Yes its possible to make 1,000hp on a 13b with proper tuning and race gas. here's the thing though, to eat a 1,000hp supra, the FD would only need around 600hp. Steve Kan runs 640hp in his FD, and runs a 10.2 1/4 mile on BFG Drag Radials and he's letting off 3/4 down the rack so as not to be disqualified. He could run looooow 9's. just not without disqualification, but a new cage will fix that for him. and with the right wheels and tires, and a little wrench turning on the suspension, he can take it road racing as well. that's why the FD is so pimp. rx7 hands down.
and before i get asked, yes, i drive an FD.

RX_speed
12-24-2003, 11:38 PM
well, here's what i think it really comes down to; power to weight. The supra is a great car, but i think it is just way too heavy. The 3.0 liter in line 6 is a great engine, one of the strongest on the market, absolutely perfect for lots of boost, but it is still way too heavy. the RX-7 would totaly kill it on any type of road course. that's the great thing about rotary power, small, light and powerful. the RX-7's tiny 1.3 liter rotary puts out about 250 hp with the twin turbos, and while the supra puts out about 320, the RX-7 weights much less, and is much better balanced. the engine in the RX is so small that it is mounted behind the front axle, technically making it a mid engine rear wheel drive vehicle. the supra needs that extra power to push around all 3200 pounds, while the RX weights only about 2800 pounds. the eclipse doesn't even have a chance in this category, front wheel drive is just not the way to go. not that the eclipse is a bad car, its just that front wheel drive is awful for sports cars. so overall, you have got to go with the RX-7, plus, with the rotary engine, they can handle boost easy, it's just a stronger combustion, and there is no violent direction change like pistons. You guys make a counter point, i'll make sure to make the best argument i can.

the Eclipse GSX is AWD

Entreri33
12-27-2003, 01:23 AM
something else to concider (even after so many months) a 700hp 20b will run with if not beat one of the 1000+hp supras at the track.

B_Rock
12-28-2003, 03:23 AM
very true. 20b costs a lot though. although i suppose one could purchase a fairly decent FD and do the 20b swap for what it would cost to just buy the supra...

AreaT51R
02-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Thats true.

Its the point I was trying to make, people come on here and say stupid comments like an RX-7 will kill an Eclipse, of course it will it costs more and was made with the intensions of being a pure sports car and thats where the higher cost comes from.

Thats like saying a McLaren will destroy a RX-7, no shit, but if you put the same amount of money and technology into the RX-7 it will eat McLarens for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cars should only be compared directly if they are in the same class otherwise the argument is pointless.
That's why they have different classes of cars...class B, Eclipse and class A, RX-7 and Supra...duh! I have a GSX with a built 1st gen motor swap and about $10K in total mods that I'm getting ready to sell in order to buy a 94' RX-7. FD's rock!!!

MugenRacerb18c4
02-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I think the RX-7 and Supra are tied for 1st. Definately not the Eclipse!!!

HONDA PRIDE!!!

Soyo
02-02-2004, 11:45 PM
yea Honda is gay, go back to your homo section of the bored... HoMo = Honda Motorsports

FRIMX
02-08-2004, 10:36 AM

plus awd owns jooooo!

who is this guy.. if you wanted to get into puttin acc. on an eclipse.turbos and the works and u think thats fast.. theres more you can do w/an fd than u can do w/ a eclipse. fd by far would decimate that little toy car.

Add your comment to this topic!