Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

European-type license plates on USDM cars?

Ricochet
07-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Is it legal to do this or do you HAVE to have state issued plates? I've always loved how much cleaner they look and I'll spend the money to get the changeover if it's allowed. They are the type of plates on the two dreams in my sig.

Mrock
07-14-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm not quite sure. What I've learned since my move to Florida..is basically all state laws are the same except for California, and Florida..we got some messed up laws here! But..that would be really cool. Sadly, I believe you have to have state issued plates. Perhaps there's a way to do it through the DMV, though..I'm not sure. If you do look into it, let me know your findings, that's a good idea!

whiteracer
07-15-2003, 01:17 AM
i'm pretty sure you can only have them in the front

SilverY2KCivic
07-15-2003, 01:55 AM
Not that it's the same thing, but I've seen people have rear Euro plates with their proper state issued plate over it. Yeah it defeats the purpose of having the Euro plate in the first place, but at least you can still tell you have it. ;)

Mrock
07-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey, what about putting Euro plates in the front, and having state issued on the back? Sure, it wouldn't be as cool, but I believe it'd be legal, at least here in Florida, since unlike Missouri (where I am from) you only have to have one state issued plate in the back...I don't think there's anything stopping you from getting a Euro in the front, at least.

whiteracer
07-15-2003, 12:16 PM
yeah that's my theory. Check the dmv webpage. Or wherever it was where you can get specific plates for your car.

Ricochet
07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
In Ohio you have to have both plates. A cop left me a nice little ticket under my windshield wiper right in front of my house once because of it.

esp
07-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Ricochet
In Ohio you have to have both plates. A cop left me a nice little ticket under my windshield wiper right in front of my house once because of it.

how the hell are the cops able to do that, i sure hope it was just a warning and told u to put it back on because u car was in your driveway and u were not driving, i could see if it happened when u were driving but while parked, hell no.

Ricochet
07-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by esp

how the hell are the cops able to do that, i sure hope it was just a warning and told u to put it back on because u car was in your driveway and u were not driving, i could see if it happened when u were driving but while parked, hell no.
The ticket was actually an envelope, you put the $20 in and mail it to them. It is BS but what can you do? I was parked on the street... if it were in my driveway I would fight that but oh well. Cops wonder why younger people don't respect them...

Mrock
07-15-2003, 03:35 PM
I think in states that only require one plate, you can do the Euro plate idea..infact, I'm going to look into it..but that does suck pretty bad. I hadn't remembered that Ohio required both plates, since I haven't lived there in a longggggg time. That's a good idea, once again...

Add your comment to this topic!