Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

what does octane booster do?

JuMBoBeaTS
07-14-2003, 04:58 PM
yeah.. what does octane booster do? i looked online for some FAQs n there was nothing i really understood.. n i searched in the forums n they only said to add... i was just wondering cuz i bought fuel injector cleaner, put it in and the car runs better... there wuz a slight odor coming out of my exhaust and after the fuel injector it wuz gone... i also saw octane booster next to the fuel injector cleaner and wondered if that'll do anything for my car... thanks for the info

B16EJ1
07-14-2003, 06:05 PM
High compression motors need higher octane gas. If you're running a crazy ass compression level then regular pump gas levels will not be enough without the booster to up the octane level. Maybe someone else can brake it down more scientifically.

Jetts
07-14-2003, 06:09 PM
i heard it only raises the octane like . something
it was a very small number, and at that small number it would take quite a bit of the stuff to even make a diff.

i could be wrong, im just relaying the message about it i read somewhere

bret
www.cynoptics.com

BullShifter
07-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Yea its for high compression engines. I know some octane booster can go from 92 octane pump gas to 102 octane from 1 bottle. Its probably alcohol or menthanol.

91civicDXdude
07-15-2003, 02:49 PM
most over the counter octane booster will raise 92 octane gas to 92.5octane. its weak.

knorsk
07-15-2003, 03:31 PM
most of the time it doesn't do shit. It just burns more efficiently so your engine doesn't misfire or knock or ping (like when using 87). You may as well just go by jet fuel...it's cheaper than filling your tank with 93 and purchasing octane boost. Just be sure to read your manual to see what kind of percentage of alchohol/methanol/lead your engine can handle.

B16EJ1
07-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by knorsk
most of the time it doesn't do shit. It just burns more efficiently so your engine doesn't misfire or knock or ping (like when using 87). You may as well just go by jet fuel...it's cheaper than filling your tank with 93 and purchasing octane boost. Just be sure to read your manual to see what kind of percentage of alchohol/methanol/lead your engine can handle.
:wtf: I hope you're kidding.

knorsk
07-15-2003, 07:59 PM
well it woulb be just as safe to put airplane fuel in your car than buying octane boost (which I wouldn't recommend regardless). Just check out your manual if you don't believe me i think you can use up to 5-10 percent leaded fuel in a honda engine. 2. it's usually cheaper than filling a tank with 93 and getting canisters of octane boost depending on the gas prices. 3. it only makes a difference for heavily modified cars (dragsters and indy type shiz). 4. If you throw 108 octane in a stockey, you are going to feel maybe 5 horses.

The rest of the horsepower would be in your head.

B16EJ1
07-15-2003, 09:13 PM
So what do you suggest on a CTR engine. The suggested octane level is 103 which is not sold at the pumps in the US so what then?

BullShifter
07-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Airports have weird octane level fuels(high). You could purchase a 55 gallon drum from their supplier for the CTR. There are few gas stations around here that have 110 octane $4.00 per gallon.

blue4g2def
07-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Make your own.......one word: toluene. I believe its like 15% toluene, a little transmission oil, and then normal pump gas.

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/audi/toluene.html

if i were you, id read the entire site. VERY GOOD INFO!

silky4u
07-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by JuMBoBeaTS
yeah.. what does octane booster do? i looked online for some FAQs n there was nothing i really understood.. n i searched in the forums n they only said to add... i was just wondering cuz i bought fuel injector cleaner, put it in and the car runs better... there wuz a slight odor coming out of my exhaust and after the fuel injector it wuz gone... i also saw octane booster next to the fuel injector cleaner and wondered if that'll do anything for my car... thanks for the info

Everybody has it all wrong, this is what octane booster does.
Everytime you pour octane booster in your gas tank millions nay billions of imbred ninja leprechauns leap forth in search of the ever thirst quenching carbon deposits. They flock to it like the poopsmith to an overflowing toilet. Racing through your fuel system they devour carbon with extreme prejudice. I use a bottle every time i get gas!:twak:

Gulftech
07-21-2003, 04:25 AM
Jumbo,

Folks are right, store bought booster will only raise octane levels by .1 to .7 (R/M method). Toluene is a great choice because it's the purest burning hydrocarbon you can get commercially, most folks pick it up at the local paint store which can be inconvienient. Also, watch your blend percentages. Avgas is a good option if you have a small airport close by and they will sell it to you, the private airport near me won't sell it unless you have a plane there or show a pilots license.

spooleffect
07-21-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by silky4u

Everytime you pour octane booster in your gas tank millions nay billions of imbred ninja leprechauns leap forth in search of the ever thirst quenching carbon deposits. They flock to it like the poopsmith to an overflowing toilet. Racing through your fuel system they devour carbon with extreme prejudice. I use a bottle every time i get gas!:twak:

:iagree: :thumbsup:
That is the best description of a useless product that I have ever read!
:lol:

Ricochet
07-21-2003, 10:51 AM

I haven't seen one intelligent reply from you yet, noob.

B16EJ1
07-21-2003, 11:54 AM

That's the dumbest shit I ever heard. We're talking about octane booster not fuel system cleaner. Ocatane booster does just that not clean the fuel system. :rolleyes:

silky4u
07-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Ricochet

I haven't seen one intelligent reply from you yet, noob.

Am i supposed to entertain you, im not here to impress you and please the all mighty ricochet.

And besides what kind of intelligent question is what is octane boost?
OCTANE....BOOST......, maybe it boosts the octane.:sly:

B16EJ1
07-21-2003, 03:18 PM

Yeah because you seriously thought i was serious, im sorry i guess its the fuel system cleaner that unleashes the impred ninja leprechauns.

Did you seriously think i was serious.:bloated:

No I did not think you were serious but I do think you're the dumbest shit on the planet. If you can't help then don't post.

TuRboVrOoM
07-22-2003, 07:09 PM
:wtf: for the facts all octane booster is, is enriched chemicals and octane and a lil gas in a bottle you put it in it gives you like .5 to 4 octane boost max. Dont put any thing over103 or even 103 its to rich of gas and will overheat the car and will fuck your car up!:headshake

spooleffect
07-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TuRboVrOoM
:wtf: for the facts all octane booster is, is enriched chemicals and octane and a lil gas in a bottle you put it in it gives you like .5 to 4 octane boost max. Dont put any thing over103 or even 103 its to rich of gas and will overheat the car and will fuck your car up!:headshake

Lean conditions raise the temp not rich and octane has nothing to do with rich or lean. Rich = Too much gas(Not higher octane), Lean = Not enough.

Besides, High Octane is only for cars that need it. Puttin racing fuel won't make your car go faster unless its tuned to take advantage of it.

TuRboVrOoM
07-22-2003, 07:18 PM
spool effect prove me wrong then:thefinger

spooleffect
07-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Why? You don't believe me then fine. You can try prove me wrong if you want, but I don't think thats gonna happen.

Rich or Lean has nothing to do with Rating the Octane level of a fuel.
Lean conditions raise the temp not rich.

TuRboVrOoM
07-22-2003, 07:24 PM
you dont make to much sense to me

spooleffect
07-22-2003, 07:28 PM
you dont make to much sense to me

:wtf:

TuRboVrOoM
07-22-2003, 07:33 PM
:thefinger :gives:

spooleffect
07-22-2003, 07:40 PM
OIC, good one.....

silky4u
07-22-2003, 08:55 PM
:wtf: Dont put any thing over103 or even 103 its to rich of gas and will overheat the car and will fuck your car up!:headshake

Hey your wrong. Spool is right, higher octane lowers temp and vice versa.:bigthumb:

Chris
08-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Octane booster works by adding fluid which has a higher octane rating than normal pump gas; as it is diluted by the gas, the overall octane level is raised.
However, even if the octane were to be raised, you would NOT see an increase in power (there would just as likely be a drop).
The reason for this is the in the very definition of octane ratings; it is a fuel resistance to burning. The higher the octane, the more energy is required to start it burning. Octane rating has NOTHING to do with the potential power output of the engine. In fact, Top Fuel dragsters use nitromethane, and they add another fuel with a higher octane rating (But lower potential power), to keep the nitro stable. Nitro = low octane, high power.
If you have higher octane fuel, then the spark timing can be advanced (more power is produced), or, the engine can have higher compression and still work.
If you take your stock car and add octane, there will be NO effect. This is because the engine will run at its programmed spark timing. No more. If the octane is too low, then, it will retard the timing (less power). If anything, higher than recommended octane will yield less power, as it takes MORE energy to start the fuel burning; energy which could be used to move the car forward.

On the other hand, if you are modifying a car, and are increasing the compression or adding boost (ie, adding a new/bigger turbo, supercharger, etc), then, you might need the octane booster. Because you have optimized your car at a basic level, you can now use higher octane to allow for more power. (ie, raise the compression from 9.0:1 to 10.0:1, you will now have more power. BUT, you need higher octane fuel to prevent ping, so, octane booster is required)

Bottom line; Octane booster = essentially useless

Ricochet
08-18-2003, 10:22 AM
My ctr engine can gain the most power from up to 110 octane because of its 10.8:1 compression, but the only thing really available around here is 93-94 without driving far away to buy 105 for like $4/gallon. If I did buy that or add booster to the 93-94 I would see a bump in performance.

jcrx
08-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Hey your wrong. Spool is right, higher octane lowers temp and vice versa.:bigthumb:
No, it doesn't, higher octane will resist predetonation caused by high compression and small imperfections in the combustion chambers like burrs, scores, etc... it does nothing for performance unless your motor can make use of it, such as in the case of a high compression engine where you are compressing more fuel and air into a smaller space than you should, there by causing higher temps., and in effect with lower octane predetonation. It does not cool your engine, or clean it, or make it faster.

dominoid8
11-26-2007, 08:22 PM
everyone has their own opinion about it.

dominoid8
11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
what if the octane booster is about 3 or 4 dollars a bottle?

dave92cherokee
11-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Please do not revive a thread that's been dead for 4 years. If you have a question or need to know something then start a new thread. And to answer your question octane booster doesn't really do all that much in normal street cars it would do the same as running a tank of high octane gas every once in a while to clean carbon out of the cylinders.

Add your comment to this topic!