Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Doors with 2+2 top

origncust z
07-14-2003, 04:03 PM
hey everyone,
i just had a pretty big question to throw out there. first off let me explain what i am doing a little bit so you actually know what i mean and what i am doing. i am taking my 300zx to the next level and making the doors actually open straight up from the t-bar of my 2+2 top. i have welded the top of each side of the 2+2 to the door so it is one piece that gets lifted up. i want to make it like the old lambourghini style doors where they lifted straight up (also like the car in back to the future dont remember the name of it).

now here is my problem; i dont know how to hinge it all up from the t-bar or put in the actuator and everything. could someone please recommend me somewhere for help with this, either a web site or a person or somewhere. also, does anyone remember the name of those style doors? it would help my search a lot for what i am looking for. my e-mail is Jesse_D_Jaeger@yahoo.com . thanks. later.
-jesse

delsol210
07-16-2003, 12:13 PM
i belive if im picturing right they are gull wing but lambos have sicore doors and the move back to the future the car was a delorine

origncust z
07-16-2003, 02:12 PM
yeah thanks, however i kind of did figure all of that out just 5 minutes after posting it. but my new question is/favor to ask...can someone please take a picture of their driver side top off lying on the ground? i need to see if they have like a metal perimeter around the top window? also it would be appreciated greatly if someone could take a picture o f the driver top but the interior side of it. thanks. later.
-jesse

joshey
07-21-2003, 02:24 PM
make a frame with steelbars hinge it to the T bar ugly on the inside but it would work personally i would not bother but to each his/her own

hypeness
11-08-2005, 12:15 PM
hey everyone,
i just had a pretty big question to throw out there. first off let me explain what i am doing a little bit so you actually know what i mean and what i am doing. i am taking my 300zx to the next level and making the doors actually open straight up from the t-bar of my 2+2 top. i have welded the top of each side of the 2+2 to the door so it is one piece that gets lifted up. i want to make it like the old lambourghini style doors where they lifted straight up (also like the car in back to the future dont remember the name of it).

now here is my problem; i dont know how to hinge it all up from the t-bar or put in the actuator and everything. could someone please recommend me somewhere for help with this, either a web site or a person or somewhere. also, does anyone remember the name of those style doors? it would help my search a lot for what i am looking for. my e-mail is Jesse_D_Jaeger@yahoo.com . thanks. later.
-jesse
check out this sight hope it helps http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2160016 !

1viadrft
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Gay.

DeleriousZ
11-08-2005, 07:18 PM
yeah dude... i hate to say it but that's pretty weak...you're just adding weight and making it look like it's trying to fly or something... i don't mind lambo doors because they actually serve some sort of purpose other than looking good... all i can say is if you go through with it... another perfectly good Z down the drain :(

xXxRocker5150
11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
It'd look better if you had a slicktop and you knew how to weld...

but I agree with delerious... it'd look better if you just spent the 1 grand on lambo doors

ArchDiver
11-18-2005, 10:22 AM
DeLorian was the car, and I agree that doing this to your Z is probably not the wisest move. Aside from the aesthetics, you're likely to comprimise the structural integrity of the car, causing problems later. Just my 2-cents.

k3smostwanted
11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
hey everyone,

-jesse

well the hinge will obviously have to connect to the t-bar and the t-top itself so my guess is that your hinges will obviously have to be a little more slender than normal hinges so i would double, maybe triple up.

once you remove the leather or fabric on the t-bar you should have a nice chunk of metal that you can weld on...i have no idea how you would connect it to the other side of the t-top. but there has to be a hinge there.

as for your actuators...if you connected one to the base of the floor board right next to the dash and connected to the toppish of the door, right below the window. it should swing the door straight up and still allow you access to the car.

the hard part will be the hinge. because the t-top is glass on the side.

BTW: dont you think you should have worked out all of the rough spots before welding your door to your t-top.

Add your comment to this topic!