Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Keyless Entry???

LAURA7494
07-14-2003, 03:35 PM
I just purchased a 2002 chevy LS monte carlo. The dealer gave me 2 remote keyless controls & told me that the car is equiped with keyless entry & that they will program the keys. Well, the next day I brought the car to the dealer & they told me that the Radio in the car is not the "correct" radio for keyless entry. It is a factory RDS single cd player. the trunk of my car has the correct number "AU0", which i was told means that the car has the keyless entry ability. The dealer wants to now charge me to have this option. Is there a way to reprogram the radio or car???? I also spoke to the previous owner of the car & she said that the car had this function & it worked. The dealer swears that they didn't change the radio........... WHAT"S UP??????? when I follw the directions in the mannual for the radio, none of the options for remote entry are on the radio. HELP ME........

jshope
07-26-2003, 06:04 AM
This is not an answer to your question, but it may help you to make some sense of where you are.

I just bought a 2001 Monte LS (yesterday) and it did not come with the FOB and since my 01 Impala has keyless entry, I wanted it on this car.

I called the dealer to see if this car came equipped and the prior owner or dealer just lost (or kept) the remote - they cost about $45 to get them replaced! The dealer (parts department) printed out a list with all of my vehicles original options based on my VIN.

In this list, my car has option AU0 - just like yours., so the guys at the parts counter sold me the remote and told me that I may have to schedule service to have it programmed (that should happen today).

Here's where I will find out if mine is like yours, but with a twist.

The twist - The Impala has a tape player (RDS and factory) and the Monte has a single disk CD player (RDS and factory). Last night I SWAPPED THE RADIOS BETWEEN THE CARS and this sets off the theft deterrent system because the VIN in the radio does not match the VIN in the (current) car - in both cases, obviously.

I plan on taking both cars to the dealer today to have the radios reprogrammed with the correct VIN so I can use them again AND I am also going to have them program the new FOB for the Monte. Now you can see the twist.

As an aside, the thing that bugs me the most is that I prefer to do my own work on my cars, but a guy named John that posts on automotiveforums.com seems to know an incredible amount about the keyless entry system and he said that the Impala/Monte Carlo paltform seems to be one of the few that REQUIRES as scan tool to be connected to the car (costs ~$300?) in order to be able to reprogram the FOBs and to clear out the radios. So you can either buy that unit (is it worth it???) or take it to the dealer. Bummer.:mad:

If you reply to this message, then I will repost with what I find out.

Jim

LAURA7494
07-28-2003, 12:05 AM
The dealer kept giving me the run a round. so i called the GM company and I complained. GM was extremely nice & told that they would talk to the dealer for me. Well, the next day, the dealer called me to set up a time to "repair" the keyless entry. I brought the car in & they "repaired" it....it works perfectly. When I asked why they did not do this in the first place, they stated it was a misunderstanding........YEAH RIGHT>>>> the cost to "repair" the computer chip was $650.00, which was completely covered in the warranty.... The dealer just did not want to do it.....

jshope
07-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Well, when I took it into the shop, everything went fine, except I was originally sold the wrong FOB. Fortunately, this dealer (different from the one where I bought the FOB) had one in stock. The good news, the new FOB cost $32 instead of $55 AND I was able to return the unit which was incorrect.

So, to reprogram both radios and the FOB, then charged 1 1/2 hours or about $100. Normally, I'd do this kind of thing myself, but I did not have the right equipment and GM made these cars so you have to have them reprogram them.

Glad to hear that yours worked out OK in the end.

Mr Goodwrench
10-10-2003, 08:27 PM
I have a 2000 Monte carlo SS and just reprogrammed the Key FOB last night. The Key can be in the Ign. in the ACC mode. You do not need to go to the dealer to take care of this....

1. Make sure that the RADIO POWER is off.
2. Hold in the DISP Button on the Radio Dash until the SETTINGS appears.
3. Cycle thru the options using the SEEK > button until you get to the FOB PROG Function(option 11)
4. Select this option using the RADIO PRESET button 1
5. The KEY FOB is ready to program. Hit the UNLOCK Button on the FOB. The door should unlock or lock now.

This info is also in the OWNERS MANUAL under the KEYLESS ENTRY section.
As for the KEY FOB ID, (ON BACK OF REMOTE)it is as follows:
GM / UTA 25678792
FCC ID: KOBUT1BT
CANADA: 1983 101 393

You will need to make sure that the remote that you get has these exact numbers on it, otherwise it will not work.

I found one on Ebay for ya...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2435277777

Let me know if it helped ya...

Sincerely,
John

jshope
10-11-2003, 03:44 PM
John, Thank you very much for your update. I am glad to hear that it can be done. You don't know how many times I went through that routine, but it never worked. Now I know that it was because I had the wrong key fob. Thanks again. Jim

jaymierek
04-08-2004, 12:18 AM
heres a doozy.
is it possible to reprogram the remote without the factory stereo in-place. I've got an after market unit in there now and it'd be a pain to have to put the factory in to reprogram

Add your comment to this topic!