Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

R33 GTR and Boost solenoid.

GTS-4 Ben
11-19-2001, 06:30 AM
Ok, I pulled out the restrictor on a 97 R33 GTR VSPEC. The boost is now at around 14.5psi.

Now on that car, the restrictor was on the front pipe going to the solenoid. Just pulled it off and got rid of the restrictor.

Now the weird thing.... I was looking on a 95 R33 GTR, and the pipes were round the other way.... with the pipe with the restrictor in on the right hand side when looking from the front of the car..??

Is there something different from each model, or has it been messed with.. what would happen if the pipes were on the wrong way??

?

Ben

Brenhan
11-19-2001, 12:23 PM
hmmm , mine came in from the side of the solenoid , and all pics of them that I have seen have done the same . dont know if they changed them or not .

GTS-4 Ben
11-19-2001, 04:42 PM
very odd indeed..

Erks
01-26-2003, 03:02 AM
Hey guys, was just reading your posts, l just bought a gtr vspec r33 and was wondering if u can give me some tips. l also removed my boost restricter but am not sure it actually did anything as the ar still feels the same can you help please, maybe l did something wrong, but l did get the littlle brass thing out of the hose.
thanks guys..

RazorGTR
01-26-2003, 01:24 PM
That is so weird. By removing it the car should have went from producing .65 bar to .9 to 1. bar of boost. I was the same on my R32. You very well could have a bad solinoid or it is not getting power.

If you know anyone else with a GTR see if you can borrow his/hers. What the plug does is restrict the amount of air release or boost bled off if you will.

Bayside34
03-13-2003, 07:23 AM
I've been told this is dangerous. Is it?

Can this same trick be done on the R34 GT-R? Someone told me you need to go to a tuner and get them to check the boost level. One guy actually told me his boost went to 1.4 bar upon removing his brass restrictor...

Will this be safe on a completely standard year 2000 R34 GT-R V-Spec ?
What will the max boost peak at then? I've seen it peak at 1.03 bar on the MFD before now but not very often.

Trev

RazorGTR
03-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Each generation Nissan has done different things. On the R32 and R33 it seems to be some sort of bleed off system rather than a restrictor.

Trev I beleive the ECU controlls the boost level on the R34, so removing it may have adverse effects but honestly I will have to check into it. I am not as familuar with the R34 setup in that aspect as I am with the R32 and R33. Either way the factory ECU should have a boost cut simular to the late R33 GTR's.

Bayside34
03-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Did you have to increase the fueling with a remapped ecu (e.g. Apexi PowerFC) to do this mod safely or does it work without? What about compression ratio, did you fit a HKS Metal Head Gasket to stop any detonation? What about timing, was it retarded by a few degree's to stop det? Or did this all just work happily without any other mods?

Do you know what is the maximum bar/psi the turbo's can reliably take before going 'pop' and being consumed by the engine (i.e. requiring a full engine rebuild and new turbo's - not cheap!)

Sorry if I've got lots of questions, I just don't want to blow up the engine on my car!

tyndago
03-29-2003, 06:24 PM
The solenoid only opens and closes so it doesnt really matter which way the hoses are hooked up as far as I can tell...

Most of the time the line with the restrictor goes out to the right when you are looking at it from the front.... towards the passenger side..

Add your comment to this topic!