Is Detail Master Carbon Fiber any good?

ShOrtyOC714
07-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Has anyone used the Detail Master Carbon Fiber? Is it anygood? Cuz i was gonna order some for me and my friend to use... It comes with one sheet of Carbon Fiber and a other sheet of Carbon Kevlar, for $7.59. Here are some pics of it

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/863421CarbonFiber.jpg

TheSyndicate
07-13-2003, 11:56 PM
IMO, your money is better spent on SMS decals.

www.scalemotorsport.com

dag65
07-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Scale MotorSport:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Mean_B16
07-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Hey Shorty, this stuff is GREAT IMO, I actually use this as the top layer though. I found that this stuff is transparent and is not to convincing by itself, then I used scale motorsports CF as a base (since this is a little to gray looking normally) and then I put the detail master over it and it looks so much more realistic! this is how I did my yellow ITR dash, lip, hood and everything else. I use the kevlar over lay when I want a different look than the darker CF. hope this helps.

dag65
07-14-2003, 03:25 PM
HMM I may have to check that stuff out. I underpaint black when I use the SMS stuff, it comes in Kevlar as well. Heres an idea for a different look , anyone try spraying a coat of candy color over the cf?

ShOrtyOC714
07-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by dag65
HMM I may have to check that stuff out. I underpaint black when I use the SMS stuff, it comes in Kevlar as well. Heres an idea for a different look , anyone try spraying a coat of candy color over the cf?

U mean as a BASE COAT, cuz if u spray over the carbon fiber it will just be the color u sprayed it,lol. I already thought of doing that.

dag65
07-14-2003, 05:11 PM
I use a black base coat to give the correct look, and yes a candy over the top, for instance purple would give you purple carbon fibre. I have seen this on 1:1 tuners and it looks awesome, remember candies are transparent. Just a thought , always looking for new ideas

935k3
07-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Its invisible over black. Try a silver,gold or bronze basecoat and it looks pretty good. SMS is the best for zig-zag weave types of composites but some do have a straight pattern like the Detail Master.

dag65
07-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Detail Master may not work over black but SMS does, peep the pic

pettercardoso
07-14-2003, 06:18 PM
I don't know if anyone have said this, but if you look in the tamiya website, there's tip on how to do that CF look with just paint and some fine, very fine mesh. Just spray the part black. Next put the mesh over the part and secure it with some tape so that it won't slip away and spray with dark grey over the mesh. Finally, use a clear coat. (please do excuse me for my english, I know it's not the best :icon16: )
I know it's a lot of work, but it will look way better than any decal.

ShOrtyOC714
07-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 935k3
Its invisible over black. Try a silver,gold or bronze basecoat and it looks pretty good. SMS is the best for zig-zag weave types of composites but some do have a straight pattern like the Detail Master.

Whut do u mean? So Detail Master doesnt have the same weave? Cuz i want that kinda weave.... Detail Master has straight weaves?

dag65
07-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Its SMS if you want the true to life weave look. Their Kevlar is awesome too

willimo
07-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by dag65

I didn't spray a candy color, but I used a thinned out Tamiya clear. On my Civic model, I scratchbuilt an airbox and covered it with CF decal. It didn't stand out at all, since it was the same color as all the other CF on the car. Since I was going for a Spoon modified Civic, I went with the theme and thinned out some Tamiya clear orange (when thin is more a transparant yellow) and brushed it over the CF decal, and looks rather well in my opinion. I imagine this can be done with any color.

Lambo003
07-14-2003, 08:10 PM
For what it's worth . . . I just purchased SMS plain weave CF and the sheet is completely black. Perhaps I received a bad batch, but I wasn't too thrilled with this product. A first for me - I love all their other CF and kevlars.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/772779SMS.jpg

Vric
07-14-2003, 11:24 PM
the only one i have tryed was the SAS (Scale Auto Style) one.. and it was really good

give it a try ! www.scaleautostyle.com

ShOrtyOC714
07-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Vric
the only one i have tryed was the SAS (Scale Auto Sport) one.. and it was really good

give it a try ! www.scaleautostyle.com

U mean Scale Auto Style,lol:iceslolan

Vric
07-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Shorty4859

U mean Scale Auto Style,lol:iceslolan

:spit: give me a break.. it was very late when i post that :biggrin:

ShOrtyOC714
07-15-2003, 01:14 PM
I need some help u guys, how does the model masters carbon fiber look like??? Like whut does the weaves look like? Do they look like sqaures?? or do they look similar to Scale Motor Sports? Thanx

gt1car
07-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Is the worst Carbon fiber/Kevlar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :bloated: :sly: :cwm27:

dag65
07-16-2003, 04:16 PM
http://www.scaledreams.com/SCALE1.HTM
yo dude here is their web page, peep the pics

Add your comment to this topic!