Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Skyline hype?!?

Pages : [1] 2

freakmech
07-13-2003, 09:13 PM
ive been really curious about this... why is everyone so into modelling Nissan Skylines? first off, you all must know that my favorite manufacturer is Nissan (i have a 240sx). but i do not understand the craze behind the Skyline with American modellers. i know that the Skyline has more kits available then any other car. and it is an awesome car.....but has any American ever seen one in real life? there are only 5 of them registered in the U.S. and the Infinti Q35 isnt any like the JDM Skyline so what gives? i like to model cars i experience first hand not the cars on the front of Super Street mag. plus alot of the Skyline model kits are nearly identical. so i ask.... why do Americans love the Skyline so much knowing that welll never get to own much less see one? I think that the Silvia line is much more interesting model to model. its not a power house but the body constantly evolves. the Skyline just keeps looking more and more like a WRX or a Corrolla or what ever. i know im going to get flamed for this but i must know.

TheSyndicate
07-13-2003, 09:15 PM
:lol:

weaponCIVIC
07-13-2003, 09:21 PM
......You dont make sence.....the reason why people make it because it is rare, and not seen in the u.s. Therefore the closest you are going to get to owning one is owning the model car version, is it not?

primera man
07-13-2003, 09:24 PM
You really have to see them in person to know what a truely great car they are.
Living in a country that has them as quite a common car you understand why people buy them. They handle great, have HP to match and have a huge aftermaket supply to go even faster......and they look so frickin cool http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/ylsuper.gif

CamaroSSBoy346
07-13-2003, 09:47 PM
I know of 4 (maybe more) skylines in US. There was an R33 on SCC cover, then their is a R34 in SCC (i think, not sure, might be Super Street), then their is a black R33 featured in Mischef 3000 (aka Gumball Rally 3000) that makes 700HP, then their was the 2F2F Skyline(s) I say multiple because they probably needed more then 1.

This is also a company located in california that sells Skylines.. http://www.motorex.net

freakmech
07-13-2003, 09:48 PM
weaponCivic... your right i didnt mean it that way. yes the joy of modelling is owning that car you never could in full size. what i mean is that they are rare but hardly exotic, they arent beautiful or over the top. its simply a solid car with horse. but i see so many kids spending all there time building the R32,R33,R34 when most people cant tell one from the other. and the models are generally designed off the same chassis (yawn). there are lots of great cars you cant get here and are available as models so again .... why is the Skyline so popular? why not the Trueno, or a Cima, or Xsara, or the 306, or... the list goes on and on....

supratuner
07-13-2003, 09:54 PM
not to get technical, but actually i think there is around 300 or so in the US, (i read in super street a few years ago so i cant really say if this is true or not)

just to say the least, i think any one in to imports, wants a skyline, to put it at the simplest.

Jay!
07-13-2003, 10:21 PM
It's the automotive enthusiasts wishing for what was denied to them by Nissan NA... One of the coolest 'normal' cars that never got legalized by its manufacturer.

Re037
07-13-2003, 10:29 PM
G35, not the Q. And the new Infiniti is quite simliar to the new JDM Skyline. Theres a plethora of GTRs here in So Cal; although R34s arent smog legal for street use in california, but ive prob seen at least 30 different skylines from Santa Monica to UCLA to Arcadia to San Diego. R34s do appear at car shows while 33s and 32s are more common on the street. And most of everyone are more into the GTR grade rather than the GTS or 25GT Turbo or any other "lesser" variants (RB series kick ass wether it be a 2.0L or 2.6L). Many here will also agree the normal V35 chassis isnt too hot and are still awaiting a new GTR. Legendary performance and world acclaim also adds to its appeal, much like the 959 or the F1.

tonioseven
07-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by freakmech
weaponCivic... your right i didnt mean it that way. yes the joy of modelling is owning that car you never could in full size. what i mean is that they are rare but hardly exotic, they arent beautiful or over the top. its simply a solid car with horse. but i see so many kids spending all there time building the R32,R33,R34 when most people cant tell one from the other. and the models are generally designed off the same chassis (yawn). there are lots of great cars you cant get here and are available as models so again .... why is the Skyline so popular? why not the Trueno, or a Cima, or Xsara, or the 306, or... the list goes on and on.... We build what we like without having to answer to anyone as to why. You'd be surprised what quite a few of us know about them despite never having been in contact with one. Why does it seem to bother you so much?

Chain
07-13-2003, 10:42 PM
but i see so many kids spending all there time building the R32,R33,R34 when most people cant tell one from the other.

Some of our info are from magazines, tv, internet or pc/console games and we get influence by these.

I wouldnt say all of the modelers build skyline for the above main reasons but if you play games alot and into racing cars, most likely you will have owned a game called Grand Turismo :wink:

freakmech
07-13-2003, 10:48 PM
its not so much that it bothers me, i just...as a Nissan fanatic... dont understand why this model in particular is so popular. i like the Skyline alot but as a modeller it seems that alot of kids are devoting there time to just the Skyline when there are so many more interesting and more detailed models out there is all. i built an R33 but i would build the 360 Modena kit over a Skyline anyday. i guess it gets me that the skyline is the predominate car in the Complete and in Progress section of this and many other sites. but the Ferrari and other exotic kits are far more detailed and more enjoyable to build. i wonder how many modellers are dening them selves of these great kits just because the Skyline is in 2f2f or in Super Street. im mean to the general puplic where did this Skyline exposure come from? Anime, media, movies? why is it such a phenominon?

Jay!
07-13-2003, 10:54 PM
im mean to the general puplic where did this Skyline exposure come from? Anime, media, movies? why is it such a phenominon? Funnest car in Gran Turismo. :bigthumb:

TURBOSATURN
07-13-2003, 10:56 PM
The reason why the skyline is so great, is because it is just a great car in general. Like primera man said, you have to see them to realize how great of a car they are!

tonioseven
07-13-2003, 11:00 PM
What you'll find if you stick around long enough is that there are those of us who build all different types of cars and as stated above, the Skyline was brought to my attention by Gran Turismo. Sure I love Skylines but if you visit my website, you'll also see a decent variety of other cars as well , not to mention my unbuilt collection which consists of more of a variety of cars than I care to think about right now. Skylines are just cool cars; especially if you're denied the privilege of ownership of one (like me :frown: ) I don't rely on SuperStreet for anything other than decent research pictures; I have yet to see 2F2F, I just like them because I do ( as juvenile as it may sound!:icon16: ).

TURBOSATURN
07-13-2003, 11:07 PM
The skyline is just a car that is impossible dislike, its just flawless!

Honoturtle
07-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Put it this way, Skyline is a car that is practically unobtainable here in America, that's why they are such prized legendary cars that almost all import lovers want to own or even see some day. Plus, Scale Auto Style makes a variety of bodykits for this particular model car ;).

TURBOSATURN
07-13-2003, 11:18 PM
not that its "unobtainable," you just need lots of money to "obtain" it.

willimo
07-13-2003, 11:26 PM
You call the Skyline a good solid car, and ask so what? If the car is just another good, solid car, then why did the R32 dominate the JGTCC for years? Despite ballast, restrictions, and controls imposed on them by the racing body? Why do Skylines continue to pretty much dominate the JGTCC? It's an amazing machine, plain and simple. Why is being a good, solid car not a good thing? Since when has that been the norm? (By the way, it's not a good solid car, it's a great, solid car.) The Skyline has a certain magic, probably partly because it is unavailable to us, but mostly because it is the undisputed tuning God. There are essentially no limits to what you can do with the engine, the car. It is a testiment to what a car company can do; making grocery getters on one assembly line, and a perfomance icon on another. For a company like Nissan to make a car on par with Ferrarris (not all Ferrarris, mind you) is a feat in and of it self.

If you want to pretend to be all knowledgable about cars, why not ask "Why do so many fanboys build Civics? It's just a economy car. The name, 'Civic,' denotes its responsibility to the pocketbook, environment and community. So why do so many people pretend that the Civic is such a great car?" 'Cause it's a good, solid car.

And where's the fun in only building cars you can own? If I did that, I'd be limited to cars costing less than $10,000. That severely limits my selection, and interest.... What's the fun in modelling, if not building the cars you want, but cannot afford? Living vicariously through styrene?

Don't be silly, boy. Since when have there only been 5 in the US? Did you look up the 1984 registry or something? And since when have there been more Skyline kits than any other car? You don't imagine there are more Corvette kits out there? Fendered Fords? T-buckets? Camaros? I don't know where you're getting these "facts" that you quote so diligently (and intelligently, I must add)

And don't be sillier still, it looks nothing like a Corolla. Have you seen a Skyline? Since when have the kits been identical? And can you point out why it hasn't evolved? It looks to me like it's been following a pretty regular, and impressive evolutionary line since Prince made them back in the mid '60's

Don't be so hot to talk about something you know squat about.

mech0t0
07-13-2003, 11:42 PM
I love all skylines.... handling, acceleration. Specially R34, 6 speed manual transmission! Due to the regulation in Japan, Nissin has to tune the R34 down, to 280 hp (max hp stock car)! The GT wing is so attractive! In Gran Turismo 2, Skyline has is one of the best design on light weight level 3. R34 doesn't need any Nitro with proper tune and upgrade parts, I think 2F2F has damage the image of the R34!!!

freakmech
07-14-2003, 12:14 AM
im mearly asking why it is so popular and you have all made strong points that i agree with... thats all i wanted to know. i thought it would be a good topic of discussion and it has been so far. im just trying contribute some interest to this forum is all since im new here. i noticed the majority of you talk and build Skyline. i want ed to know why.

WILLIMO....anytime a car manufacturer introduces a sports or touring class car there are one of two reasons. ONE to grab the interest of consumers of such cars. TWO to optimise a cars engine and chassis to specifications of a certain race class in order to be competitive in "production car based racing". two good examples are nascars and there consumer available counter parts(grand prix, intrepid etc...) and another being JGTCC.... both these racing classes require that the car be in production so no doubt this was taken into account in the development of the Skyline but the Silvia has done well too so Nissan Race Division clearly has a large part in developing both these models.
also i never said i was all knowing about cars but i do research my interest extensively. as of the new year there where only 5 r34s officially imported to the US. this does not count for cars that were first brought to Canada then the US.. these do not have to be Federally registered as the major taxes do not apply. and finally.... you havent ever seen a european Corolla have you... well i hope this post has been enjoyable but i will stop posting in fear of being blamed for looking for attention. im just trying to have an intelligent conversion about our hobby is all.

JDM Wagon
07-14-2003, 12:43 AM
just thought i would throw this in. nissan is going donw hill hard here in japan. lowest manufacturer on the totem pole and closing quite a few branches.

anyhow most americans build skylines because what other car (thats affordable) can produce the power and handling straight from the dealer. that is what i think make s the skyline unique. just my 2 cents

Chain
07-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Hey, dont let it bother you and dont be easily discourage to post. If you think its a good discussion for something and you r genuine to find out more, please go ahead.

Let the mods decide if the topic is off or deemed inappropriate. I'm am sure yours isnt.

So, go build more models and enjoy your stay :wink:

cheers
Aloysius aka
Chain

Hiroboy
07-14-2003, 01:09 AM
We have loads in the UK :thefinger

blueboost
07-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by JDM Wagon
just thought i would throw this in. nissan is going donw hill hard here in japan. lowest manufacturer on the totem pole and closing quite a few branches.

anyhow most americans build skylines because what other car (thats affordable) can produce the power and handling straight from the dealer. that is what i think make s the skyline unique. just my 2 cents

can you enlighten us a little on how nissan is going down hard in Japan? here in america everyone wants to tune hondas generally speaking, and in Japan it seems to be silvias and skylines and countless other worthy cars. BUT it does seem from what I've learned that Japanese tuners are very much interested in Nissans for motorsports.

anyways I like the skyline because my first car was a nissan my car now is a nissan all I've ever owned are nissans I LOVE nissan cars. Naturally I learned of the skyline and silvia many years ago and have been obsessed ever since (wanting what I cannot have like many of you I presume) :banghead:

Honoturtle
07-14-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TURBOSATURN
not that its "unobtainable," you just need lots of money to "obtain" it.
Well, I labeled it "unobtainable" because how many of us have the money to afford such a car to be imported here? And it isn't going to be the best daily driver if you spent all your money into that one car.

Chain is right, keep the conversation up, and if someone does blame you for "trying to get attention," so what? I'll back you up, just as long as you are posting correct content that is related to the topic.

willimo
07-14-2003, 01:27 AM
You have a point about production based race cars. However, you'd probably help your argument by not including NASCAR, since the only thing those cars share with their production counterparts is the name on the side. Otherwise, they are tube framed, glass bodied cars with carbureted engines. Yes, Skylines and the like are race-on-Sunday, sell-on-Monday cars. However, to say that this the whole reason these cars exist would be to ignore the entire intent of motorsports and high performance cars. And, I personally feel, would be an insult to the engineers and designers responsible for the cars.

The reason the Skyline exists in GT-R trim (don't forget it has humbler roots) and the reason the NSX exists at all, and the reason Mazda keeps trying to sell rotories is pretty simple: The technology they put on the coolest, baddest, fasted cars today, will eventually be cheap and therefore can be used on all cars, making cars more efficient, faster, safer, quieter, cleaner, and in general, better.

The Skyline is the perfect example-- the turbo set up allows it to make enormous power efficiently, which could later allow medium performance cars to sip fuel. The marvelous AWD system the Skyline sports makes it better handling, on the racetrack and street. A technology that could be later passed on to passenger cars, allowing people to conduct them more safely. I could go on, but I don't want to type all night.

Thing is, think you're missing the point. The Sylvia is a great car, also, but where did the Sylvia get it's equpiment from? It no doubt evolved from Skylines in the past. The Skyline is Nissans flagship car, it is the bed in which they test all of their newest, and best technologies. And, luckily for them, it surpasses the performance of many other mark's best cars. That is why the Skyline receives so much press-- it is the best of the best.

JDM Wagon
07-14-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by blueboost

can you enlighten us a little on how nissan is going down hard in Japan? here in america everyone wants to tune hondas generally speaking, and in Japan it seems to be silvias and skylines and countless other worthy cars. BUT it does seem from what I've learned that Japanese tuners are very much interested in Nissans for motorsports.

anyways I like the skyline because my first car was a nissan my car now is a nissan all I've ever owned are nissans I LOVE nissan cars. Naturally I learned of the skyline and silvia many years ago and have been obsessed ever since (wanting what I cannot have like many of you I presume) :banghead:

i think that is the funny part. japan's economy is in the gutter that's for sure, but you want to see some building fools, japanese love to build. anyhow, nissan has closed several of thier larger plants due to low sales.
not sure what the deal is, but i know there is a plant near me that went from producing the Z to producing one of thier larger vans and now is shut down for good. my wife (she is japanese) informs me quite often about the progress of nissan and it is never good. she tells me that their sales keeps going down. i think that is the major reason the changed to body style on most of thier line-up.
i really wish i could understand japanese better so i could give you the down and dirty from japanese news but sorry. limited to the wife's translated info when available.:bigthumb:

TheSyndicate
07-14-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by willimo

Sir, I'd like to shake your hand for such a proficient use of grammar and sentence structure. Reading your words is like comparing day to night, especially on this forum. :biggrin: :worshippy

rsbousquet
07-14-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate

Sir, I'd like to shake your hand for such a proficient use of grammar and sentence structure. Reading your words is like comparing day to night, especially on this forum. :biggrin: :worshippy

Aha but he DID misspell 'Silvia' :)

:bloated:

Should we all take willimo's example and type with perfect punctuation, perfect spelling, and perfect grammar? This place would be boring if we all spoke in this manner. Can you tell me that you haven't laughed when someone wrote like they were sending SMS on a cell phone? It's funny, it keeps me entertained. If things are so dull for you that everyone else must be dull, then that just sucks, huh?

anyways, i will go back to not using capital letters. buT et lest i dun tak lyk3 dis!

shit that's hard to impersonate.

Re037
07-14-2003, 02:22 AM
...and i thought there 180 plan was in full swing:rolleyes:

freakmech
07-14-2003, 02:45 AM
willimo.... first off NASCAR is the best example of this if you look at the history and consider its called stock car racing. for example Pontiac introduced the Superbird (not sure of year 70's?..i hate american cars) as a production car (500 or 1000 produced i think) purely to gain an edge in the stock car curcuit. it came with a massive wing to better the down force and was purely put into production for the purpose of NASCAR. basically a loop hole and was very contraversial. it swept the curcuit that year and provitions were made in the rules to keep this from happenning again.
now as for Silvia... now your in my arena... the Silvia CSP311 was introduced in 1964 and was derived from the Fairlady 1500 chassis and the brand new R engine later used in Fairlady 1600 and the Bluebird SSS RL411. The Silvia was a very high-end sports car $4300 where as the Prince GT Skyline was about $2900. Silvias were produced from 1964 to 69 then from 70 to present under various names such the Nissan GT Coupe to the 240sx and Z(yes 240 z was a silvia development not a Z car) to the 99 jdm New Silvia release. now i believe the Prince was introduced in 1966 as the GT-B or S54B. now came the Nissan C-10 GT-r Skyline or "Hakasuka" in 1969 and BORROWED its S20 engine from the Silvia! the Skyline didnt go in its own direction until 1972 with C-110 model but has always maintained its body styling. In 1977 the Skyline gained c211 and moved on to the LE20ET turbo engine. again borrowed from the 240z and 280z productions. 1982 came the Skyline DR-30 which was a major over haul and this is when Skyline became the premiere sport car and Silvia took the backseat. But Silvia was always first for development such as Super HICUS which was later put into the BNR32. so actually it would seam that Skyline benifited from the Silvia and not the other way around.

freakmech
07-14-2003, 02:52 AM
I do back my words up...
I know a little bit about Nissan ;)

flyonthewall
07-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Hiroboy
We have loads in the UK :thefinger

Maybe so but they are still a rare sight. Yesterday, I saw a Diablo on the M6 - seen about 4 or 5 of these out on the road. Last week I saw two F355's in the same day, i've seen loads of them and the 360 Modena too. I've only ever seen one R34, a handful of R33's and a couple of R32's, I was more excited seeing the R34 than the Diablo.:sunglasse

djAkira36
07-14-2003, 07:16 AM
ive been really curious about this... why is everyone so into modelling Nissan Skylines? first off, you all must know that my favorite manufacturer is Nissan (i have a 240sx). but i do not understand the craze behind the Skyline with American modellers. i know that the Skyline has more kits available then any other car. and it is an awesome car.....but has any American ever seen one in real life? there are only 5 of them registered in the U.S. and the Infinti Q35 isnt any like the JDM Skyline so what gives? i like to model cars i experience first hand not the cars on the front of Super Street mag. plus alot of the Skyline model kits are nearly identical. so i ask.... why do Americans love the Skyline so much knowing that welll never get to own much less see one? I think that the Silvia line is much more interesting model to model. its not a power house but the body constantly evolves. the Skyline just keeps looking more and more like a WRX or a Corrolla or what ever. i know im going to get flamed for this but i must know.

Simply put, among the import enthusiasts here in the U.S., the Skyline GT-R is like a our unicorn, a mythical creature that few are able to obtain. As far a massproduced cars go, it's an engineering tour de force that Nissan has been dangling over our heads and teasing us with ever since all of the Japanese sports cars have left our shores.

Even when Japanese sports cars such as the Toyota Supra TT, Mazda RX7, Nissan 300ZX, and Mitsubishi 3000GT(GTO) were available, none could possibley hold a candle to the GT-R. Even now that we have cars such as the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII, the GT-R still remains the car that we would bitchslap our mothers for.

Sure, there are dream cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porche. But in spite of that, up until recently, the GT-R was impossible to obtain. Even though now they are being imported, they are still rather difficult to get being that they range from 30k for an R32, to 90k+ for an R34, very expensive considering that in other countries they are alot more affordable and financing is available.

So in the end, for most of us, owning one in either 1/12, 1/18, or 1/24 scale form is our only option......

tonioseven
07-14-2003, 07:36 AM
I think this discussion is very healthy for our board as it has made a lot of us think!!:wink: I would like to re-iterate my welcome to you:WELCOME TO AF!!! :sunglasse :sunglasse :sunglasse You should look for the Skyline meet thread when you get a chance...:wink:

nervestrikes
07-14-2003, 08:11 AM
I haven't built a skyline yet, but ooooh is it coming. I regret that nissan has yet to bring it formally to the U.S., but I have seen two personally here in chicago. One is the classic blue dropped four inches above ground he simply murders the S2000's around here (north Chicago). The other skyline I saw was an older model like a 94 or so and it still looked sweet compared to the shit offered on the market here today. In one statement the skyline is where it's at.

Veyron
07-14-2003, 08:51 AM
I've always liked the Skylines, and Nissan did a good job of making them better and look better with each evo. To me the R33 is one of the most perfect looking 2 door cars ever.

Ask any kid with Grand Turismo, he'll know what a Skyline is. :smile:

nervestrikes
07-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Veyron
I've always liked the Skylines, and Nissan did a good job of making them better and look better with each evo. To me the R33 is one of the most perfect looking 2 door cars ever.

Ask any kid with Grand Turismo, he'll know what a Skyline is. :smile:

Exactly, better yet ask any adult who plays Grand Turismo !

Rtuned
07-14-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm a skyline freak! I want to collect all Skyline family...now I'm doing it. Reason I love Skyline is because it is aggressive. No matter which angle you look, it's aggressive...that's all.

Rtuned :worshippy :worshippy :worshippy

dutchboy 618
07-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Oke guys i love the skyline and all but I think that they get kinda boring cause everyone is building one :bloated:

Anyway the skyline is the best car in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

P.S.I saw one to here in Virginia Beach I think it was a R32 and it had this cool bodykit and i think it hat rx-7 tail lights :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

T\/\/iN-Tu|2Bo
07-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Very good points made. I agree with a lot of them. I think for the most part it's because it's such a rare sports car. The Silvia is an awesome machine, but there are so many 240's here in North America. There are still lot's of Silvia models in here. So maybe it's a combination of what car you love and want a scale model of. The Civic is a different story. The reason they're so popular is because they're a good car and don't cost an arm and a leg to own and there are an infinite amount of aftermarket parts available to make them fast little cars. So in the case of the Skyline I think it's such a rare and awesome car. Remember when Grand Turismo first came out and everyone was obsessed with the EVO!?........Well I was anyway:biggrin:

supratuner
07-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by dutchboy 618
Oke guys i love the skyline and all but I think that they get kinda boring cause everyone is building one :bloated:

Anyway the skyline is the best car in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

P.S.I saw one to here in Virginia Beach I think it was a R32 and it had this cool bodykit and i think it hat rx-7 tail lights :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

sounds kinda fishy. RX7 tail lights on an R32?????

As some one said earlier in this thread, id rather do a 360 Ferarri or how ever you spell that sausage shit.
I would take a skyline before i would take any car from Italy, even if the skyline is slower. ITS JUST FUckING AWESOme!

my personal fav is the R32.
ive built and completed 2 skylines, and tried to build another one but stoped half way through and i am now working on an R32 skyline, id have to say the only car i want more than a skyline is a supra.

Now for importing a skyline? you can get R33 GTRs from japan for $7,500 USA, but then you have to pay for shipping, customs and all kinds of other shit and thats where it becomes expensive, ill ask my friend for a link tot hat site, they got skylines, supras, silvias, all the good JDM cars for cheaper than most hondas.

willimo
07-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by rsbousquet
Aha but he DID misspell 'Silvia' :)

I had it confused with the Saint.

yellow15
07-14-2003, 04:30 PM
here in NZ 1 out of every 3 cars in the carpark is a skyline :thefinger
unfortunately the other two are ford falcon and holden commodore :sly:
:tongue:

oh and yeah it's S-I-L-V-I-A Silvia

SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA
:icon16:

Focus2000
07-14-2003, 04:43 PM
I think part of the magic of the Skyline is the proliferation of tuning companies offering upgrades and, most importantly for we modellers, so-called 'aerodynamic' packages.

Companies like Nismo, C-West and Mine's give us the inspiration to turn our box-stock Skylines into something a little different, something unique to our own tastes.

For me, the Skyline was the first car to feature these wild body kits. Nowadays it's common-place among all types of car, from humble hatchback to pickup truck, but the Skyline is still The Daddy!

Oh, and Gran Turismo definitely helped it build its reputation. I wonder what GT4 will bring us.....

weaponCIVIC
07-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Well i dont know about any of you but, i like to broden my choice of models. I have one skyline (R33) and thats it.

Honeslty kids that spend ALL thier time making skyline models are lost in the fast and the furious. end of conversation.

Jay!
07-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I prefer NSXs, myself. :0

TheSyndicate
07-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
I prefer NSXs, myself. :0

:lol:

willimo
07-14-2003, 05:45 PM
I'll probably get beaten down for comparing it to Skylines and NSX's, but the S2000 has my vote for sweetest ride. I know others are way faster, and it's handling is a bit finicky, (though I've never driven one, I've heard nothing in the world rotates like an NSX), and it's not even close to rare, but to me, there's something about a 240hp four banger. That revs to 9g's. That is just amazing. The S2000, to me, is like Bruce Lee. Little, strong, quick, and badass. "Honda learns Jeet Kun-do..." Heh. Never thought about it that way.

ljrlude01
07-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by supratuner

Now for importing a skyline? you can get R33 GTRs from japan for $7,500 USA, but then you have to pay for shipping, customs and all kinds of other shit and thats where it becomes expensive, ill ask my friend for a link tot hat site, they got skylines, supras, silvias, all the good JDM cars for cheaper than most hondas.

please do ask him cause and post the site. I pay 9k for my r32 GTR, I wish I could find an r33 for that cheap out here in good condition.
I love Skyline since GT :icon16: and now that I been lucky enough to owned one I love them eve more so that why I have so many Skyline models in my closet.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/246931P6040276.JPG

themodelkid
07-14-2003, 07:08 PM
i hate american cars)

No offence, but YOU SUCK!

FYI: PLYMOUTH introduced the superbird, not pontiac. Pontiac inrtoduced the Sunbird, big diffrence!

jdmwhizkid
07-14-2003, 07:13 PM
People are so enthusiastic about the Skyline for the same reason that some people are enthusistic about Ferrari's or rally cars. It has alot to do with what type of cars you are really interested in. Also, people build them because they admire the cars and wish they had them. The Skyline is considered to some the "Holy Grail" of import cars, so lots build it. The Skyline has a huge aftermarket following and people may have an idea of how they want their Skyline to be, so they build a model to see it in a scale view. To me it doesn't really matter what type of cars people build. To each his own.:smile:

themodelkid
07-14-2003, 07:40 PM
I also have no clue why this guy is so worked up over the fact that Skyline's are popular. :confused: I mean like others have said, there awesome!!! I mean even the name is cool, "SKYLINE", its almost as cool as "CORVETTE" :lol: :wink: People like them so much, because they like them so much! Duh.....:rolleyes: :redface:

Jumpman_Z
07-14-2003, 08:40 PM
I think what makes the Skyline so cool is that it's so versatile. It can be tuned for so many different kinds of competition. They can be used for dragracing, rally, autox, JGTC, Lemans, topspeed/wangan, drift and whatever other crazy ways to race a car you can think of. It can pretty much compete in anything except Formula 1. Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche can handle quite well, but they definitely wouldn't be worth anything in a rallying, either because of their size, expensive parts, too much power, or lack of awd.

rsbousquet
07-14-2003, 08:40 PM
would you like us to build a different car? what would you suggest over the skyline? maybe a.. volkswagen beetle? wait... nevermind. that's a good idea.

freakmech
07-15-2003, 12:18 AM
actually if you read all my threads you see that i dont car about what you model. i am just trying(and obviously did) to spark an intelligent conversation about why the Skyline is such a phenomenon. ive built a Skyline myself and i like the car. i just dont understand why some people would limit themselves to building models of just one type of car. but to each his own. im mearly interested in whats behind this huge craze and this post has so far been great at gettting to the middle of this. thank you all for your inspiring comments. maybe ill build another Skyline myself... always been fond of the Calsonic. keep up the debate, i think it says alot about everyone on this board and that is that though we are all motivated by different things this motivation fuels our desire to model which brings us here. i think ive learned a little about everyone thats posted. thank you its been a sucessful post!:bigthumb:

Ghost_9418
07-15-2003, 01:11 AM
I just dont like how people dont know that the GTR skylines are only a limited trim model of the skyline. Skylines are pretty much family cars execpt for the far fewer numbers of the GTR.

freakmech
07-15-2003, 01:21 AM
And actual Ghost this was an original arguement of mine as well. I think alot of people see these tuned out Skylines and are under the huge misconception that its an easy task to get 600+ horse power out of a Skyline. These cars in magazines are built by professional companies and the parts added cost as much as the car its self. the GT-R is limited to 280hp by Japanese law. and the other models are much lower. I dont think alot people understand how much it takes to make any car get 600hp much less a Skyline.

TheSyndicate
07-15-2003, 01:25 AM
I actually like the R33 4 door... :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!