Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Prelude vs Maxima

Pages : [1] 2

SeximaGTR
11-18-2001, 11:15 PM
ok i have Maxima GXE 97 AUto

Mods: all slut bars and the stillen intake (short stub)

he has 2k1 prelude vtec manual

mods: CAI

whos gonna win....if it matter, he has a massive kit on it 2...

oh and lemme know like not off the line, but down in the 100mph + zone

GOD
11-18-2001, 11:20 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the 5sp lude over ur max and this isn't b/c i own a honda it's b/c he's gonna spank you off the line ....and 1/4 i dunno about top end I think they top out at 139mph right around there . Oh about the 100mph area ....I'm thinkin he's got you beat :(

Jay!
11-19-2001, 12:45 AM
Moving to Car Comparisons (and fixing your spelling in the title)...

Nitro
11-19-2001, 02:50 PM
I have race Preludes in my 97 auto and they could not pass me with there 5 speed:flipa: .

street_racer_00
11-19-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by SeximaGTR
ok i have Maxima GXE 97 AUto

Mods: all slut bars and the stillen intake (short stub)

he has 2k1 prelude vtec manual

mods: CAI

whos gonna win....if it matter, he has a massive kit on it 2...

oh and lemme know like not off the line, but down in the 100mph + zone

lol SLUT bars?????? haha j/k I know what you are talking about. Ummm I think with your mods it would be a close race, but I'd give the slight edge to the prelude, I dunno though, cuz I own a 2000, not a '97.:confused:

bobo_80
11-19-2001, 09:44 PM
i think u`ll win da race with mobile one in ur engine.....i raced my 99` auto se against a 2000 prelude type SH.....i wasted him....anda..he`s got muffler and maybe intake....i think from the sound it makes.....
.......my engine is in perfect condition...so i can take on n e prelude with not much power mods ;)

Craig Mack
11-21-2001, 09:47 PM
Sexima it depends on the person too. Just becuase someone has a faster car doesnt mean they win all the time.

Automagic Maxima's = Slow :bathroom:

Manual Maxima's = FAST & Torquey :licker:

gang$tarr
11-22-2001, 08:10 AM
i'm sorry but the prelude will kill........ the 0-60mph times for both your cars are like a second apart, that is a hell of alot. Plus the prelude is more designed to keep pulling, since it's a more sporty car. The auto Maxima wasn't meant to go fast, and they don't seem to be very receptive to mods

Craig Mack
11-22-2001, 03:17 PM
Put a stock 5spd 4th Gen Max against a stock 2001 Type SH prelude, and the max will easily beat it off the line and gradually win. (Honda's=No torque :bathroom: ) Put an automagic against it, and I would still put my $ on the Max. (If it was a '95 that is :silly2: ). Only in a straight line though, in the twisties, a prelude would be the victor easily. (were talkin STOCK here)

Owning a '95 SE Automagic Maxima, I know for a fact that they are NOT slow. 0-60 7.2-7.5 and 1/4th mid 15's to 16.0.

Don Cooper is running a 4th gen automatic with tranny work and a 100-shot of NOS and that's it (I think, besides lightening) And he's running LOW 12's and breaking in the 11's soon. Go tell him automatic Maxima's are slow.

:bandit:

gang$tarr
11-22-2001, 04:12 PM
i have no doubt that a stock 5th gen prelude will kill an auto maxima, in twisties or straight. The stats for an auto maxima are high 7s like 7.8s

Craig Mack
11-22-2001, 11:13 PM
I'm sure you'd know since you own one right. ;)

Times differ from 95-99 for the auto max. '95 was the fastest of them all. A 95 acheives a mid-low 7 second time, belive me or not. I should know since I own one.

The 2000 Maxima's get a time of 7.8. That's probubly what you read. It's becuase they are governed and do not redline. The 4th gens, do however.

Now put a 5spd max in the equation, and it's all over.

Morpheus XIII
11-23-2001, 06:01 AM
Maxima. There's a simple explanation why. The extra 2 cylinders. I don't think I've ever come across a 4-banger which beat a V-6 without a turbo, at reckelss speeds. Inline-fours just cannot provide the natural torque available at 100mph+ speeds. Even before that, you can easily notice that simple air resistance catches onto the featherweight Hondas. Especially at that speed auto makes no difference since all the gearshifting is over and done with. Of course the Honda will take care of the Nissan at low speeds, but what lightweight can't?

i.e. It's fun watching my buds in their GS-R and SC300 cream each other, depending on speed... The Integra gets the kickstart, but fades away into the background when approaching about 65 mph.

gang$tarr
11-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Craig Mack

The 2000 Maxima's get a time of 7.8. That's probubly what you read. It's becuase they are governed and do not redline. The 4th gens, do however.

no the time i read for was for the 96 Maxima.. high 7s
I thought the 2000s were faster since they have 240hp

Craig Mack
11-24-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by gang$tarr

no the time i read for was for the 96 Maxima.. high 7s
I thought the 2000s were faster since they have 240hp

Well you read wrong.

The 2k's and the 2k1 Maxima's had either a 222HP engine. (A 227hp was available for the 2k anniversary edition.)

F20C
11-24-2001, 11:25 PM
Put a stock 5spd 4th Gen Max against a stock 2001 Type SH prelude, and the max will easily beat it off the line and gradually win. (Honda's=No torque :bathroom: ) Put an automagic against it, and I would still put my $ on the Max. (If it was a '95 that is :silly2: ). Only in a straight line though, in the twisties, a prelude would be the victor easily. (were talkin STOCK here)

Owning a '95 SE Automagic Maxima, I know for a fact that they are NOT slow. 0-60 7.2-7.5 and 1/4th mid 15's to 16.0.

Don Cooper is running a 4th gen automatic with tranny work and a 100-shot of NOS and that's it (I think, besides lightening) And he's running LOW 12's and breaking in the 11's soon. Go tell him automatic Maxima's are slow.

:bandit:

Funny that H22A is the torquy 4 cylinder engine Honda offers.

F20C
11-24-2001, 11:26 PM
I'm sure you'd know since you own one right. ;)

Times differ from 95-99 for the auto max. '95 was the fastest of them all. A 95 acheives a mid-low 7 second time, belive me or not. I should know since I own one.

Now put a 5spd max in the equation, and it's all over.

Prelude also does mid-low 7's stock.

Morpheus XIII
11-25-2001, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by F20C
Funny that H22A is the torquy 4 cylinder engine Honda offers.

Even the torquiest of Honda inline-4s will not provide enough grunt to compare to a 3 liter V-6. Plus, the H22A was built with VTEC, and like all other premiere generation VTEC systems, low end power is transferred to the high end. When it comes to torque, there really is no replacement for displacement, as they say. Even blowers still miss out on the first digit of the tachometer. I've never met a "torquy 4-cylinder engine Honda offers".

Prelude also does mid-low 7's stock.

True, but the original comparison proposal asked for performance at and beyond 100 mph, and 60 mph is far lower than that. A V-6 will easily haul the Max's weight into the triple digit area. Naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engines in 'sporty' cars tend to have difficulty doing this, no matter who makes it.

Well you read wrong.

The 2k's and the 2k1 Maxima's had either a 222HP engine. (A 227hp was available for the 2k anniversary edition.)

I think gang$tarr is referring to the 2002 model with the VQ35DE.

F20C
11-25-2001, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII

Even the torquiest of Honda inline-4s will not provide enough grunt to compare to a 3 liter V-6. Plus, the H22A was built with VTEC, and like all other premiere generation VTEC systems, low end power is transferred to the high end. When it comes to torque, there really is no replacement for displacement, as they say. Even blowers still miss out on the first digit of the tachometer. I've never met a "torquy 4-cylinder engine Honda offers".

True, but the original comparison proposal asked for performance at and beyond 100 mph, and 60 mph is far lower than that. A V-6 will easily haul the Max's weight into the triple digit area. Naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engines in 'sporty' cars tend to have difficulty doing this, no matter who makes it.

I think gang$tarr is referring to the 2002 model with the VQ35DE.

Aggressive V-TEC have 2 purpose. One is to generate low end torque. The other is high end hp. The only replacement for displacement is force induction combine with VVT for driveability. I don't think you will ever find a torquy i4 from Honda. That's just not their way of going about business. Their way is through RPM multiplyer. They also find weight the number one enemy of performacne.

I was refering to the comments made by Craig Mack about the 0-60mph.

Morpheus XIII
11-26-2001, 05:43 AM
The only replacement for displacement is force induction combine with VVT for driveability.

You should know that when I stated that there is no replacement for displacement, my words were preceded by, when it comes to torque. No amount of variable valve/cam technology is going to equate the amount of torque for a blown engine. There is still a section of the initial portion of the powerband, even a small one, where on-demand power will be missing. This goes particularily for turbochargers. Grandiose McLaren went with natural aspiration when they decided to use the BMW V-12 for the F1. Even Nismo switched from the 3.5 liter twin-turbo to the 5.0 n/a, knowing well that the R390 would need a more linear powerband to be competetive. There must be no compromise for usable power.

Again, when it comes to torque, there is still no replacement for displacement.

CanadianG
11-26-2001, 04:28 PM
off the line cause he's alot lighter but in about 8 sec' she'll start $HITTING himself wonder "Why did I buy a honda and not a Nissan?"

F20C
11-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII

You should know that when I stated that there is no replacement for displacement, my words were preceded by, when it comes to torque. No amount of variable valve/cam technology is going to equate the amount of torque for a blown engine. There is still a section of the initial portion of the powerband, even a small one, where on-demand power will be missing. This goes particularily for turbochargers. Grandiose McLaren went with natural aspiration when they decided to use the BMW V-12 for the F1. Even Nismo switched from the 3.5 liter twin-turbo to the 5.0 n/a, knowing well that the R390 would need a more linear powerband to be competetive. There must be no compromise for usable power.

Again, when it comes to torque, there is still no replacement for displacement.

My bad I didn't see the Torque statement before it. Perfect example Z06 has over 300 lb-ft torque at 1000 RPM. Turbo will always have lag depending on the size of the application. However Supercharger doesn't and it provides Torque on demand.

CanadianG
11-26-2001, 06:56 PM

My bad I didn't see the Torque statement before it. Perfect example Z06 has over 300 lb-ft torque at 1000 RPM. Turbo will always have lag depending on the size of the application. However Supercharger doesn't and it provides Torque on demand.

I'm personally a supercharger fan aften my G60 corrado. But I must say my GT probe was quick as Fuk too!

JBL85
11-27-2001, 02:23 AM
I have 100,000+ miles on a 97 maxima and raced a 99 prelude....no one believed i was running a stock automatic maxima. Poor honda owners....

YOU NEED TORQUE TO HAVE A FAST CAR THATS WHY NISSAN OWNS YOU :p

F20C
11-27-2001, 03:57 AM
You don't need torque to have a fast car. It should be a combination of hp/lbs and torque/lbs.

Morpheus XIII
11-27-2001, 05:26 AM
You have 100,000+ on your '97 Maxima? That's what I call consumer. Damn that's almost as much as my 200SX. I had 115,000 in 5 years.

JBL85
11-27-2001, 05:20 PM
Yeah you do need horsepower.....but TORQUE is all off the line and horsepower is what keeps you going after your off the line.....so I like torque because how often do you race farther then another stop light. Also cars with torque tend to be faster then those with out more torque

F20C
11-27-2001, 07:38 PM
Hp is torque that's kept constant over time with increasing rpms.

JBL85
11-27-2001, 09:22 PM
uhuh

mtrai760
11-28-2001, 07:35 PM
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! The Maxima is NOT the end all of Performance, and neither is the Prelude. Why don't we compare apples and oranges here? It would be a better comparison! Maxima= 3200 lb. family sedan with a solid beam rear suspension and V6 motor making about 160 HP at the wheels... Prelude= Honda's sport car offering to the masses, with a 2.2l I4, two usable seats, and a hell of a lot less weight. What are we comparing here people? Put enough money into anything and you can make it go fast, hell, people even put money into damn Geo's and make them fly. Stock for stock, the performance is pretty close, though a 5 speed max with a GOOD driver will probably pull ahead. Maxima's have a V6 with a lot more tq! of course they pull ahead! I have beat preludes in my modded auto max, but I know there are plenty of prelude owners out there who could leave me in there dust. This whole post has just turned into a bunch of bickering. He said/she said, boo hoo, who cares! Most of what people talk about they don't even have, it's all speculation, which makes most of this argument null and void. Craig Mack, you don't even own a 5 spd, so quit talking trash about em' till you do the conversion, cause your still one of us 'slow' automagic drivers! :(

JBL85
11-29-2001, 02:03 AM
Slow automatic? First off....yeah Maxima isnt the best, but it kicks ass

THe look on Honda Drivers faces when they see they got beat by the

same car their grandma has.....PRICELESS...

Maxima is just an overall good, cool, sweet car and look very nice moded. THe 5speed wont pull ahead on a Prelude, it will flat out smoke it, thats the why the Maxima's competition is the 3 series bmw and use to be 5 series competition...i dont know about now....

Morpheus XIII
11-29-2001, 03:36 AM
The Maxima only makes 160hp at the wheels? Sure a lot of power lost en route to the ground

Originally posted by JBL85
THe look on Honda Drivers faces when they see they got beat by the same car their grandma has.....PRICELESS...

Hah, that's some funny smack. I thought it was pretty hilarious toasting GS-Rs with a Camry V-6 (I guess the 2 TTE stickers on the sides added 50 hp each :silly2: ). Why does it seem like the majority of the Honda drivers out there are simply uneducated disillusioned fools who know only about loud exhausts and body kits? It makes it even harder for the genuinely serious Honda owners.

JBL85
11-29-2001, 09:07 AM
Why does everyone simply look at power

Skyline 276HP, 0-60 is under 5.0 seconds stock, I dont think #'s mean much, its all about the engineering in the car.

AEstud
11-29-2001, 09:30 AM
prelude

mtrai760
11-29-2001, 12:01 PM
I'm just tired of all the hoopla about how the Max is just so great. Do I think it is? Yes. I plan on buying another one when I get a new car, somewhere years down the line, hopefully Nissan doesn't blow them up into giant heavyweight cars.... But when you go up argueing against other enthusiest swearing the Max is the best thing to come since Mclaren, you just make us look bad. I like the fact that no one knows the performance potential of the Max, it makes the wins that much better, to see the look on there faces, but beat an M3 that runs 13's stock? No, it not's gonna happen. The max stock for stock, 5 spd vs. 5 spd, will beat a prelude, but in the end the aftermarket for the prelude will beat you. You can pour money into anything and MAKE it fast, you just have to 'run what ya brung', as the saying goes. I had someone say "hey look, he brought his mom's car" at the track, before I trashed his turbo'ed civic down the 1/4, but he could have turned up the boost and smoked me, he just didn't know what I was running, unless you do bracket racing and it's on your window. And yes, I own a SLOW high 13 second automatic... :(

Slow automatic? First off....yeah Maxima isnt the best, but it kicks ass

THe look on Honda Drivers faces when they see they got beat by the

same car their grandma has.....PRICELESS...

Maxima is just an overall good, cool, sweet car and look very nice moded. THe 5speed wont pull ahead on a Prelude, it will flat out smoke it, thats the why the Maxima's competition is the 3 series bmw and use to be 5 series competition...i dont know about now....

gang$tarr
11-29-2001, 02:38 PM
Slow automatic?

yeah it is..... the auto max is almost a full second slower 0-60mph than the 5spd

and JBL about the skyline.. everybody knows that that HP number isn't real, that's just the number they have to advertise in japan because they have that agreement that the highest HP has to be 276
fully stock skylines have been dynoed at WELL over 300hp

JBL85
11-29-2001, 09:21 PM
Thtas cool news about the skyline i never knew

But about the cars, YOU RACE WHAT YOU GOT, no one really races stock and if you do you know what you are racing with...when I smoke people in my stock Maxima, I know its stock....so I am sure they think its pretty modded....anyhow...this is just to much to compare and I dont care that much =)

F20C
12-02-2001, 02:54 AM
Why does everyone simply look at power

Skyline 276HP, 0-60 is under 5.0 seconds stock, I dont think #'s mean much, its all about the engineering in the car.

Everybody should be aware that Skyline GT-R V Spec packs more than 276hp. The dyno shows more like 276whp. That's why it is right up there with Evo7 and STi although outweighting them by a lot. STi and Evo7 makes about 300ps.

gang$tarr
12-02-2001, 01:51 PM

Everybody should be aware that Skyline GT-R V Spec packs more than 276hp. The dyno shows more like 276whp. That's why it is right up there with Evo7 and STi although outweighting them by a lot. STi and Evo7 makes about 300ps.

uh.. look like 2 posts up, i already said that

F20C
12-02-2001, 07:04 PM
I scroll down from the top so I can't see the post on the bottom.

JBL85
12-02-2001, 09:23 PM
I hate when that happens and you really dont feel like scrolling through adn reading what everyone else said and you just want to say what you think :) :) :) :) :) :)

F20C
12-02-2001, 09:41 PM
Oh well I did add more detail that gangstart missed.

JBL85
12-08-2001, 12:37 AM
If your going stick maxima, go maxima if its drag....if your going handling, take the lude.

joeB
01-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Automatic Maximas vary.In 95 I drove a automatic Maxima

and it would fly. I want to add something here, I have a 98 SE and

I raced a 96 Cadillac Eldorado with the Northstar engine. We raced

from a stoplight from stop, and I beat him all the way until 90 until

he gave up, he didnt gain on me not one time he just stayed back there

at my rear bumper. I looked up in Car and driver Magazine that the

Cadillac got to 0 to 60 in like 6.4 to 6.6 or something like that. I had a

96 five speed and my auto feels just as fast as it did. My point here is

that you cant always go by what you read in magazines about automatic

Maximas times. Some autos are faster than others.. I would like to add

to for every300m to accords or preludes , none of them have been able

to even come close to beating it in a race. MAXIMAS RULE!!!!!!!!:sun:

del
01-01-2002, 07:53 PM
ok, here's my experiences racing maximas with my lude. off the line, he gets the jump. since all of you are aware of honda's torqueless engines so well. then i go into second, catch up and pull on him from that point on. the lude has more high end than the max, but the maxima has the benefit of strong low and mid-range. i've raced a 01 maxima se 20th anniversary from 30mph. started even and again, i began to pull ahead of him. by 90mph i was at least a car length in front.

and don't even compare these two cars on cornering. with all due respect, the suspension on the prelude is far superior to that of the maxima's, that and a considerably lower center of gravity. :sun:

JBL85
01-02-2002, 01:35 AM
do preludes have better suspension then a ITR, cuz maxima's with suspension work mess up ITR at the track...

anyhow, about drag racing, preludes are the most fun car to race in a maxima....You can be racing a lude and here the vtec and then it quickly becomes silenced as the maxima pulls ahead and you just hear the roar of the v6.

How many mods have you done to your car DEL, I race stock ones cuz my car is stock...have yet to race a tricked out one

Nitro
01-02-2002, 06:21 AM
I have raced modded Preludes in my Maxima with me and another person and this one guy was not able to pass or even get close to my bumper, this was a second time this guy had tried me and he was driving a stick vs. my auto I could tell when he would shift.

The first time he was so pissed that when he was dustedI went pass my work to race and was turning around he came the other way in typical rice fly by. hehehe:finger:

del
01-02-2002, 11:30 AM
do preludes have better suspension then a ITR, cuz maxima's with suspension work mess up ITR at the track...

anyhow, about drag racing, preludes are the most fun car to race in a maxima....You can be racing a lude and here the vtec and then it quickly becomes silenced as the maxima pulls ahead and you just hear the roar of the v6.

How many mods have you done to your car DEL, I race stock ones cuz my car is stock...have yet to race a tricked out one

are you talking about autocrossing? i don't know where you're coming from when you say, "cuz maxima's with suspension work mess up ITR at the track...". i find that hard to believe.
i don't see how a maxima can "mess up" an ITR or a prelude as far as handling is concerned, even with suspension work. these two (lude and ITR)have been acclaimed as the best handling FWD cars on the road by many car magazines and critics. two years ago, C&D claimed the prelude type SH the best handling car under $30,000, and that includes both FWD and RWD. it pitted this $25,000 car against cars like the vette, porche 911, viper, M3 and others. it obviously didn't walk all over these, but being the only FWD car, it carried its own quite well against these cars that cost tens of thousands more. i'll try to find the article if i can.

i've done the basics such as CAI/h/e, i've put plugs, port and polish, aftermarket flywheel, clutch, V-AFC-controller, reprogrammed the ECU by Jetchips, cams, cam gears and pulleys and other minor mods. i never raced a maxima with my car stock. that might be a factor. who knows?

TatII
01-02-2002, 01:07 PM
Del i wouldn't exactly call all those mods minor mods. hahah to me if i have to take the engine apart such as porting and polishing it. thata considered some expensive mod to me. hahah:smoka:

gang$tarr
01-03-2002, 04:06 PM
how come everybody with a maxima thinks maxima's rule everything?

and preludes don't respond to mods very well, so it's harder to make them unbelievably fast straight line cars, they're meant for more twisties and stuff. and they could easily destroy a maxima on a track
you all know that maxima suspension is ass
They're not meant for racing or sport!!! they're family cars

joeB
01-03-2002, 07:31 PM
First of all anyone that would have a Maxima knows its a 4 door sports

sedan, not just another family car. Maximas especially SE Maximas

handle almost like they are on rails when you go into a hard turn and they

hold the road quit well. Im not saying maximas are the best, but I do

think they are the best cars out for what they cost. :D

gang$tarr
01-04-2002, 07:15 PM
i know they're not just family cars.. they're sporty family cars
but still you can't say that their suspension is amazing

cause even maxima owners say the first thing you need to do is mod the suspension

joeB
01-04-2002, 07:48 PM
I didnt say that the suspension was amazing, I was just

saying that the SE handles far better than what some people

on here were saying, considering its weight and size.:)

del
01-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by joeB
I didnt say that the suspension was amazing, I was just

saying that the SE handles far better than what some people

on here were saying, considering its weight and size.:)

for its size, yes it does handle quite well. it only weighs a few hundred pounds more than a prelude type sh however. the numbers aren't exact, but the maxima is around 3800, the prelude is sh is right around 3200

TatII
01-04-2002, 09:30 PM
nah the maxima SE's curb weight is in the 3400 range. its definitly in the 3400. not sure bout the exact numbers though. remember the SE is pretty much like a striped GLE. cloth interior and low on features to save weight.

JBL85
01-05-2002, 04:36 AM
SE comes with leather and all the goodies.....depends how much you can afford.

TatII
01-05-2002, 07:37 PM
ooops i mean the SE's curb weight is in the 3200 range casue i was comparing it to a 3.2 TL and TL type S weighted 200 pounds more.

JBL85
01-06-2002, 12:19 PM
Yeah, everyone thinks maxima is so damn heavy......its actually pretty light for its size.....but it still has a gut compared to the lude

joeB
01-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Still though a stock 5- speed Maxima is faster than a

stock lude five speed. Plus some automatice Maximas

out there could beat it too. It may not handle as good as

a lude but there are mods that will make it outhandle a lude,

and the Maxima is a much more of a car too.:rolleyes:

del
01-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by joeB
Still though a stock 5- speed Maxima is faster than a

stock lude five speed. Plus some automatice Maximas

out there could beat it too. It may not handle as good as

a lude but there are mods that will make it outhandle a lude,

and the Maxima is a much more of a car too.:rolleyes:

how much money would you put into upgrading the suspension on a maxima to match that of a stock lude. probably more than it's worth. you can make any car handle, it's just a matter of how much $$$ you're willing to throw into it. the maxima will NEVER feel as nimble or agile on twisties as a lude, merely due to its size (longer wheel base and higher center of gravity). but as far as gripping the road, reducing lean and planting the wheels on the ground, yeah you can make the maxima handle better than anyone would think for a mid-size sedan such as it. it's hard to compare these two without compromising. one's a mid-size sedan, and the other is a compact sporty coupe. whether one's more of a car than the other is irrelevant.

joeB
01-06-2002, 07:59 PM
I agree, they shouldnt even be compared with one another,

one is a sport coupe and the other a sport sedan.:D

Add your comment to this topic!