how NOT to use Tamiya Basic Putty

freakmech
07-13-2003, 05:55 AM
just breaking myself into to this wonderful forum. anyhow... do not use Tamiya Basic type putty (orange capped tube) to fill in the backs of seats. i used this for the very first time ever 2 days ago cuz i ran out and a friend lent this to me. melted the crap out of my Tamiya Modena seats. oh well i guess this puppy is getting Sparcos now. ooopppps

Jonno
07-13-2003, 06:12 AM
The putty melted your seats? Never heard of that before. I use the tamiya putty in a tube with an orange cap (the putty is grey) and I haven't had any problems. :confused:

Biting_Point
07-13-2003, 06:12 AM
tamiya made the putty for its own plastic..

i used it a lot of times before.. never happen anything like yours..

freakmech
07-13-2003, 06:48 AM
this is a bad picture but you can see the distortion on the headrest which what i filled. i dont know why it happened but if anybody wants some free putty.... haha

Jonno
07-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by freakmech
this is a bad picture but you can see the distortion on the headrest which what i filled. i dont know why it happened but if anybody wants some free putty.... haha

Give it back to your friend, don't tell him what it did to your seat so next time he goes to use it.... :wink:

bah humbug
07-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by freakmech

:lol2:

ales
07-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Saw that happen before. It can happenif the putty is applied in large quantities (which it obviously was in this case) as this putty dries as the thinner in it evaporates (so a lot of thinner = damage to plastic).

Take a look at this page (http://www.geocities.com/automodeler2003/evo7wrc_2_damage.htm) for an example of what Tamiy basic putty can do.

chipanggo
07-13-2003, 09:39 PM
just bought a tube of tamiya basic putty over the weekend. it will be my first time to use this. i guess i'd better be careful. :eek:

mech0t0
07-13-2003, 09:53 PM
Do not apply putty directly out from the container to any part; mix the putty well with a toothpick before use. :smile:

oblaise
07-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Jonno

Give it back to your friend, don't tell him what it did to your seat so next time he goes to use it.... :wink:
:spit: O man the "whats good for the goose, is good for the gander" bit, thats wrong, but would be funny.

:attention What is the basic type putty used for? (because I have some but dont know what to use it for):confused:

LaTtE`X
07-13-2003, 10:12 PM
That's what happens when you put too much putty into it all at once. Putty shrinks as its solvent evaporates and dries, so it's a double-whammy of the solvent softening the plastic and then pulling onto it while shrinking.

The result... :loser:

Next time, apply Tamiya putty in layers, like the way you apply successive coats of paint, only thicker. :spit:

chipanggo,

Don't worry, Tamiya putty will not put you down, if you don't use too much of it at once :icon16:

primera man
07-13-2003, 10:28 PM
OUCH !!.
GUESS WE LEARN BY OUR MISTAKES !!

jla
07-13-2003, 11:28 PM
could be too much catalyst as well

Honoturtle
07-14-2003, 12:26 AM
I never thought a putty could be so harmful to the thickness of the seat........

chipanggo
07-14-2003, 04:39 AM
chipanggo,

Don't worry, Tamiya putty will not put you down, if you don't use too much of it at once :icon16: [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks pare! :smile:

Hiroboy
07-14-2003, 09:08 AM
I had the same last week, on a Aoshima kit, just filling a gap with basic putty and it melted the plastic, I only applied a very small 1mm layer. :mad:

07-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Do not use solvent-based putty to fill large areas! If you need to fill something hollow, buy some Evergreen sheets and cut up a filler plate or chop up that useless parts tree and shove them in the hole. What doesn't line up you can then smooth with the putty. If you must fill large areas, use a catalyzing putty such as Bondo or Evercoat. Still, the best filler is the base material, i.e. fill plastic with plastic. Plastic is also much cheaper than putty.

Add your comment to this topic!