Dashboard

iceblend
07-13-2003, 01:37 AM
How do i obtain a neat job while painting dashboards??Esp detailing those small "buttons"....i always seem to mess it up..hence creating a messy interior.. :dunno:

LaTtE`X
07-13-2003, 02:19 AM
You could try dry-brushing the buttons. I'm not sure if that's in the FAQ though. Dry brushing is a technique where you dip a brush into paint and then stroke it over paper until there seems to be no paint coming off already. Stroke that brush a couple of times onto the buttons, and some of the residual paint will stick to the raised detail, highlighting the detail.

If you want to pick out individual buttons, dip your toothpick onto paint and just dab it on the button you wanna paint. :icon16:

iceblend
07-13-2003, 07:38 AM
But aint dry brushing used for highlighting the details or something?Had used the tootpick method...but the paint kinda sticks more to the wood then to the place i wanna paint...:confused: *HELP*

Jonno
07-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Phil (rallyraider) has a very good method of making the switches on dash boards. I haven't tryed it yet (don't think I am up to it :tongue: ) but here is a link to his website. http://rallycars.topcities.com/build/peugeot-sweden01/peugeot-sweden01-rovanpera-03.html On this page is the build up to his Peugot 206 WRC car. 2nd and 7th pics and texts are how he does it.

To my understanding, he drills out the buttons, and replaces the them with stretched sprues painted different colours.

I hope Phil finds this thread himself so he can explain it better than I have.

primera man
07-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Lots of the small buttons can be done with paint on the end of a tooth-pick

Ferrari TR
07-14-2003, 03:16 PM
My latest 'cheat' for painting dashboards is to use magnifing goggles.
Painted details that look 'ok' at 5X magnification are great at 1X!
:bloated:

iceblend
07-15-2003, 06:49 AM
thank u...Will definately go try out tat toothpick method...Hmm.. R there Other great ways to enhance the interior?

Add your comment to this topic!