Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cleaning Alloy Rims?

slowdive
07-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Just wondering whats the best method to get the rims(94 Accord) original shine and splendor. Special degreaser? Or just plain ole soap?:bigthumb:

accordztech
07-12-2003, 04:28 PM
use some dishwashing soap to clean it...really get into the corners...usuallly i use a cleaner to get the hard parts (made for alloy rims). then i get a towel and scrub inside...

after i get some mothers wax (not meguires...they are for shine..mothers last a while) and then wax it 3 times. after its great...

other people wet sand but really that is out of my legue. waxing rims gets about 85% of the newness back depending on the condition it was in before. but it also makes it damn easier to clean it. after i wax the rim everytime i wax the car to keep it shinning.

BullShifter
07-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Only use "safe wheel cleaner" for alloys. Some degreaser will ruin the clear coat finish. Soft wheel brush will make work quicker if you dont have a pressure washer.

Pressure washer : hardly any elbow grease needed
spray chemical
blast with pressure washer
:bigthumb:

Waxing them every so often will make them easier to clean the next time. Each time you apply chemical you strip the wax, re-apply after cleaning. Waxing rims should take 10-15mins tops.

Dont forget to scrub the tires sidewall while you down there.

ceramice brake pads are great! leaves hardly any brake dust behind unlike other brake pads.

accordztech
07-12-2003, 10:41 PM
i tried ceramic brakes...still got dirty...my car likes to give brakes a hard time....i blew through ceramics in 3 months..cracked and crumbled them. got my money back, bought another pair and blew them up too...now i run some napa semi metallics and i dont care about dirt...i clean the car any ways haha

BullShifter
07-13-2003, 12:31 AM
the ceramice give off less than other types but still give off dust.

i like EBC green stuff & red stuff for brake pads

accordztech
07-13-2003, 12:59 AM
ceramics brake like a mo fo. they are super hard..but wayy to hard for my car. thats why they emmit less dust. they sure do last long (normal driving).

Add your comment to this topic!