How do u remove fingerprints?

DJ RaYgU
07-12-2003, 01:53 AM
F***K!!!I was just about to finish my ITR when I accidently touched the roof of my car with a paint laden finger! Now there's a black fingerprint on my roof. How can I remove it without painting the body again? HELP PLZ!!

Jonno
07-12-2003, 01:58 AM
A light sand with very fine sand paper, and a polish should get it out, or even just a polish should work.
Good luck. :bigthumb:

DJ RaYgU
07-12-2003, 01:59 AM
But wont that scratch up my body tho?

Michael Schumacher
07-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Thats why you polish it after the sanding.

Jonno
07-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by DJ RaYgU
But wont that scratch up my body tho?

How dark is the finger print? You should be able to just polish it out if it isn't too dark.

DJ RaYgU
07-12-2003, 02:26 AM
polish with compound? I dun have dat stuff cuzz the hobby shop i go to doesnt stock dat stuff. All i have is model wax - will that work? The fingerprints are a little dark. U can notice it from up close but not from afar.

TheSyndicate
07-12-2003, 02:29 AM
Wax is not abrasive, so it won't remove it. If you can tell us what the body paint is, and the paint on your finger is, that could help.

DJ RaYgU
07-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
Wax is not abrasive, so it won't remove it. If you can tell us what the body paint is, and the paint on your finger is, that could help.

The body is TS-26 Pure White and the paint on my idiot finger is testors flat black enamel. I was just finished with painting the trimmings when the accident occured.

hiver77
07-12-2003, 02:37 AM
normally a cotton bud wetted with enamel thinner would zap the finger print without damaging your body coat since it's lacquer.

But I have had times when it "dulled" the glossy lacquer surface... dunno :confused:

Just polish it again though :bigthumb:

TheSyndicate
07-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by hiver77
normally a cotton bud wetted with enamel thinner would zap the finger print without damaging your body coat since it's lacquer.

But I have had times when it "dulled" the glossy lacquer surface... dunno :confused:

:iagree:

Alien
07-12-2003, 03:09 AM
on laquer you could use a mild automotive compound or maybe some toothpaste:bigthumb:

hiver77
07-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by hiver77

Well luckily I put on the disclaimer word "normally" :nono:

Just today I applied some model master acrlyic cleaner to clear up my panel-line washing on a glossy lacquer surface. It removed some of the clear coating :wtf: :wtf: and exposed the pearl body coat underneath.

I don't get it... My lacquer surface has been dried for a week and all polished to a nice shine. Here came the evil acrylic thinner (which supposed to be the wimpiest of all) and ruined it :banghead: :crying: :banghead:

TheSyndicate
07-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Yikes. Avoid using acrylic thinner on the body, and instead use some windex on a q-tip to remove the paint.

CamaroSSBoy346
07-13-2003, 12:50 AM
windex? Fo reel? :icon16:

TheSyndicate
07-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by CamaroSSBoy346
windex? Fo reel? :icon16:

Fo SH0 MaNG!!!

tdoty
07-13-2003, 01:49 AM
Enamel on lacquer?

A bit of Testors brush cleaner or plain old mineral spirits should work just fine. Toothpaste oughta do it too.

I use mineral spirits for cleaning up 2-tone separations, and I usually 2-tone using enamel over lacquer. If it dulls the surface a bit, polish it up a bit - toothpaste works well for that part too, for me.

Tim D.

LaTtE`X
07-13-2003, 02:13 AM
70% Isopropyl alcohol should also work on that acrylic wash without damaging the enamel :bigthumb:

freakmech
07-13-2003, 07:31 AM
if you cant get polish compound... toothpaste does the same thing more or less. it also makes the car minty fresh

Fastphil
07-14-2003, 06:22 PM
do what tdoty says. He knows.

dag65
07-14-2003, 06:49 PM
one other option is a cleaner wax, these have a very mild abrasive for removing oxidation on 1: 1 cars, go easy and once the offendin print comes off use your model wax

DJ RaYgU
07-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by freakmech
if you cant get polish compound... toothpaste does the same thing more or less. it also makes the car minty fresh

U sure toothpaste will work? What about toothpaste with "whitening"?
Any kind of toothpaste will work right? What kind of toothpaste did u use? Why am i always asking stupid questions?
:bloated:

Add your comment to this topic!