2005 Bmw M5 V-10

BullShifter
07-12-2003, 12:32 AM
The new model M5 is gonna get beefed up to a 5.5L V10!

500HP
DOHC 40 valves
9,000RPM redline
6-speed or 6-speed sequential shift trans

:bigthumb:

Edit: I should also add there will be a 5.5L V10 500HP M6, since the 6 series(2 door) is coming back! I am gonna start saving NOW! :iceslolan get me 2 of them. I only wish.

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-13-2003, 10:34 AM
V-10 and 9,000 revs.
Even though the r.p.m. is down, it sounds like F-1 tech is making it to production cars. I always thought too that a sequential box would be the best way to go.
---TEX---

BullShifter
07-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Definately some F1 tech going in the car:bigthumb: The RPM's are way down compared to the Williams BMW F1, those bad boys redline @ 21,000RPM & idle around 5-6,000rpm:eek: Also I pretty sure the F1 engine is a 3.0L V10!

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-13-2003, 03:15 PM
I think you're right, seems like the displacement is 3litres.
Could you imagine 21Gs from a street car. I don't think the engine would last very long. The dealers would be doing a lot of warranty work (just joking).
This might be off the subject ,but did you happen to see the show on Speed TV where W.P.Montoya and Jeff Gordon traded cars and ran some laps. Montoya kept saying the car was "fun" to drive (like being in a go-cart) and Gordon was so impressed on the performance/handling/braking that he was almost lost for words. The NASCAR guys couldn't believe the rpm capability of the BMW. The commentator stated that the idle rpm was almost as high as the red line of the Chevy V-8. NASCAR is low-tech and looking at a Grand Prix car with the body pannels removed, looks more like it would be part of a space-craft.
Some of the big brass were knocking F-1 a while back on the "lack of passing", while constant rule changes in NASCAR keep different cars pretty much equal (what's the fun in that) so there can be some good racing. Seems like now the only way to win is in the pits.
Gordon was blown away by the Williams BMW and Montoya just seemed to like the motor in the Chevy. Looks like F-1 gets the last laugh!

---TEX---

BullShifter
07-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Yea I saw that thing on Speed:bigthumb: They should have let montoya out on the oval to see what the Cup car is really capable of.
Gordon said he got light headed under heavy braking due to all the negative G's!:biggrin:

I'd like to see a F1 car set-up for oval racing run @ Daytona or Talladega

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-13-2003, 10:38 PM
That would be cool.
What I would like to see is an F-1 car run up against an Indy (or CART car) and see what the diffefence would be.
The Indy cars are designed to hit the wall at 200+ mph and protect the driver. I'm not sure what would be left of one of the Ferraris after a hard encounter w/the wall.:bloated:

BullShifter
07-13-2003, 11:50 PM
I have an .mpeg of a Champ(CART) car racing a F16 jet. The car wins until the lift off for the jet:bigthumb:
I dont think we will ever see a F1 car on a oval just because they arent designed for it.

On a road course the F1 car would smoke an IRL or Champ car. On the oval it would be totally different story since F1 doesnt have an oval aero or suspension set-ups. If they did, I personally think the F1 would be faster on the right tires.

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-14-2003, 11:13 PM
I think I'll have to agree w/that. The F-1 car would be faster. If you compare the onboard shots of a Champ car, they seem to be laggy out of the corners and then come on about mid r.p.m. with a lot of wheel spin (depending on the track):eek7: The Grand Prix cars rocket away from the turns, not just because of traction control but better tuning, lower gear ratios in the lower gears and more gears in the box (don't some F-1 cars have 7 speed boxes) depending on the tracks.:bigthumb:
The last time I really watched any open-wheel races from here were a few CART car races. There was Indy cars, then CART formed their own conglomorate until it was renamed the Champ series. I've lost track of the squables and lost interest because of all the boohooing. Next it'll be named the DORK Car series.
Some of these teams need to take notes on how the Europeans conduct themselves in front of the media. I'm not bashing all of the American teams but it seems the American press likes to exploit the "Mr. Billy Badsasses" and the trouble makers. You just don't see that stuff from over there. I guess I've seen too many races from Europe and am used to the more-professionalism. Whatever you do, don't get me started on the subject of NASCAR.
(Didn't mean to start complaining)---TEX---

BullShifter
07-14-2003, 11:18 PM
BMW is NASCAR:eek: I bet that will NEVER happen.

Some F1 cars do have 7-speed transmissions

Europeans see racing totally different than most americans. Its serious stuff over there.

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-16-2003, 09:25 PM
(some) BMWs are as American as Isuzu (partners w/Chevy), Mazda (Ford), Toyota (aslo a G.M. partner), Mercedes (Dodge), and the list goes on. All because it has a foreign name doesn't mean it aint apple pie. Chevys are made in Canada, Dodge has plants in Mexico, I'm not interested Fords, so I can't say much about them.
I would love to see a Bimmer vs. the other NASCAR groups and see how competative it could be. High revs, multi-valve cylinder heads, d.o.h.c., I think it would be fast. What's the use, it would score big, the officials would get pissed off and the next race there would be weight penalties and aerodynamic restrictions. The beast would be shot down in no time. Look what happened when Dodge came out w/2 new teams a couple seasons ago. The same crap happened.
I used to enjoy the Sports Car Championchip races. My favorite cars were the Ferrari 333SPs. 5-valve heads, titanium internals, really cool stuff. For old iron (or composites), they stayed competative for many seasons. Those cars were produced years ago. Formula-1 pretty much speaks for its self. Another series (i cant recall the name) I haven't seen in a while is where the BMWs, Mercedes, Audi TTs, etc... w/wide body kits that ran the road coarses. I have to agree w/you, the Europeans do take their driving (and personality) more to heart.:bigthumb:

BullShifter
07-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Do you know where the BMW Z3 was built? The Z4's may be getting built in the same place .. . . . .

Celsdogg
07-17-2003, 11:16 AM
i think all models for the states are being built in the plant in the carolinas. . . not sure if they still build some US models in munich and then import them here. . .that is where my E30 was built:cool:

TEXAS-HOTROD
07-17-2003, 10:55 PM
I knew the Z-3s were built here. I play Team Fortress on line and this one guy that worked on the assembly line had his server named after the plant. Spartinburg something, I cant remember the state. I didn't know that many models were built here.:biggrin:
I think the Z-4s are built on the same line.

Imola M3
09-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Sorry to interrupt but just to let you know all U.S. Spec BMW's are now built in Spartanbury South Carolina. That includes the Z4 and all the Ms. I went there to pick mine up. What a great place....Heaven I think they call it!

notabeemer
09-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah if they let German cars into NASCAR, it would be ridiculous. Notice the Jordan Ford team in Formula 1? Close to last. The Z4 is made in Spartanburg along with the X5. Everything else is made in Europe and shipped over here. Anybody else going to the USGP? And if you wanna watch some "normal" BMW's on a racetrack, check out the PTG series on Speedvision. M3 against S4's, VO6's, 911's, and lots of other good stuff. (notice who is leading the series!)

BullShifter
09-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah if they let German cars into NASCAR, it would be ridiculous. Notice the Jordan Ford team in Formula 1? Close to last. The Z4 is made in Spartanburg along with the X5. Everything else is made in Europe and shipped over here. Anybody else going to the USGP? And if you wanna watch some "normal" BMW's on a racetrack, check out the PTG series on Speedvision. M3 against S4's, VO6's, 911's, and lots of other good stuff. (notice who is leading the series!)

Its SPEED channel now. :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!