Clutch shudder

Chopper
11-18-2001, 05:53 PM
Got a bit of a clutch shudder problem, especially once the clutch has warmed up a bit. Put a new clutch in it and it still does it. Is the flywheel warped?

GTS-4 Ben
11-18-2001, 05:58 PM
Just a standard clutch? Normally means there is a slight uneven bit. A good slip normally fix's it.... but thats not a good idea on a stock clutch.

If it is really bad it could have a warped flywheel... but you should of had it machined when you put the new clutch in... so they would have seen that it was warped..

If you have a better clutch, a bit of shuddering is normal. I have a Brass Button clutch... if you let it out slowly it will shudder alot.

Ben

GTR-80Y
11-18-2001, 08:08 PM
A normal heavy duty cluctch shouldn't shudder....changed to one about 10 months back...got the flywheel machined....heat scalding all over it...but now the shudders back again....after lots of riding and eastern creek keke....i just ignor it....don't even notice it.:D

GTS-4 Ben
11-18-2001, 08:35 PM
If you have a grippy clutch it will always shudder unstead of slip when the clutch is not completely ingauged. What alse can it do..

Chopper
11-18-2001, 11:39 PM
It's just a standard clutch, no big hp here. It's good for a while if you give it a good slip, but the shudder is back in a couple of days.
Seen a skyline flywheel today with heat cracks in it, and it was the second hand replacement one too. I heard that a new one was bout $400.
Would lightining my flywheel also remove the shudder and any heat cracks?

GTS-4 Ben
11-19-2001, 03:38 AM
Must just be the compound of the clutch.. I have used Kevla clutches and they seem to shudder a little. I don't notice the shuddering with my brass button clutch, I guess it is how you drive it.

Lightning the flywheel wont fix it..

Chopper
11-19-2001, 02:48 PM
The clutch does it to everyone who drives it. It does have quite a bit of bite. First time drivers of my car stall it every time. It's good when taking off from the lights, but the problem comes when I try manovering it into a tricky park and have to ride the clutch a bit.
The rear mount on the gearbox is very soft and alows the box to move around a lot more than other makes, could this be making the shudder seem worse than it is?

Dak
11-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Definatly replace the gearbox mount, this will most likely be a lot of the cause, check the two front mounts as well and the centre driveshaft support bearing.

GTS-4 Ben
11-19-2001, 06:50 PM
yep. the shudder will be alot worse when the whole gearbox is shaking around.

Chopper
11-24-2001, 11:04 PM
Sweet!!!
I'll get on to that. It's been bugging me since day 1.:jump:

Add your comment to this topic!