94 Caprice Classic :Digital display posessed ???

Mr.Bill
07-11-2003, 10:33 AM
I have a 94 Caprice Classic. For a while now the display for the speedo and odometer has been going crazy.

The speedo and odometer will blink off and on, staying off mostly and sometimes coming back on with a bang to the dash to or across the plastic cover in front of the display.
But the odometer is amlost constantly off, one in a blue moon it will come back on, but lickily still keeps the milage.

Could this be a bad PCM as a dealer shop has told me, or a possible loose/intermittant connection ?

Thanks in advance

Shortbus
07-19-2003, 02:29 AM
Check the basics. Inspect and clean the connection at the back of the cluster. If this does not help a trip to an AC Delco authorized Cluster repair center may be in order.

redimpss5
08-20-2003, 11:15 PM
my 94 does the same thing. like above posted, clean contacts first. other than that, it is a need to be repaired item. if you find one at the wrecking yards, here is the funny thing about this item. whatever the cluster mileage says on the new one, that will be your new miles. to put it another way, if your car has 150,000 miles on it and the cluster from the wrecking yard has 100,000, your car will have only 100k on it. another option is the 93-96 chevy camaro dash will fit in there with some minor wire upgrades.

SwagonS
09-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Copied from another web page:

Cluster Fix for 94-95 Impala SS &

94-96 Caprice Classic

This is only a reference, I take no responsability for this procedure. Just a guide for a fix. Use at your own risk but, it worked for me.

1) Remove the black trim around the cluster. This is held on by 2 7MM screws on the top of the trim piece. There are also 2 clips on the bottom. Remove the screws and give it a firm but gentle pull towards the wheel.

2) Now you will see 4 black 7MM screws holding the cluster in the dash and 8 silver T-10 Torx screws holding the cluster together. First turn the key to the off position, not the lock position, and put the gear selector in Low 1.

3) Loosen the cluster by removing the 4 black screws and pull the cluster towards you. There are no other cables or clips holding it in. There are only two plugs in the dash that it plugs into. Just be careful not to break the shift indicator cable that is on the cluster. You can't buy just this piece from GM.

4) Now here is where you should take your time and be sure to pay attention to how this comes apart. (In other words, send everyone else to do something and leave you alone) Take out the 8 Silver Torx screws and put them aside. Now the whole front of the cluster is loose. Take off the clear cover, then the large black trim behind that, then the thin black piece, and the shift indicator with the green window. The indicator with the window you will have to put aside but remember BE CAREFUL of the cable.

5) Now you will see the display in front of you. There are 4 RED TORX screws holding this to the cluster. Remove these screws but be careful because these are the only things holding this display to the cluster. There are no other wires or nothing. This is the problem. When you take this out, you will see two rows of soldered dots on the display, one on top and one on the bottom. Clean these with contact cleaner or alcohol. You will also see two black towers with little spring loaded tabs in the cluster. Clean these with alcohol also. I had two that were stuck down so I pulled them up very carefully and put a bit more tension on them and all the others.

6) Now just reverse the procedure I gave you here and you should be in business. Just be careful of the Temp. Gauge needle when you put the thin black trim piece back in place. What I did was put the cluster back together and then just push it back into place and tried it before I put all the trim back.

This sounds a lot harder then it really is. Once you get into it it's not that bad. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, let a friend that has taken a dash apart before help you. You just have to go slow and don't do it when you are in a hurry. This whole thing should take about an hour or a little more. If you are not clear with any of the steps above, let me know and I'll try to clarify it a bit more for you.

Good Luck

iesuck
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I agree what SwagonS said. I have 2 Caprice, 1993 and 1995, and both had simular problems. The 1993 would cut in and out, so I took the digital odometer out, and cleaned the contacts with alcahol. Problem fixed!
The 1995 went totally out with no more digital display, so I tried the same trick, but it went out again with in a few months. I took it out and add more solder to the soldered dots, and it fix the problem.
The 2 black connectors are poorly designed. I might change the whole connector to a plug if this ever happens again.

evildragon
11-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Mine has a stranger problem. While mine won't turn off like that, sometimes numbers appear corrupted, and tapping the cluster gets it back to normal.

For example, when the speedometer should say "0", sometimes it says "0 0" (yes, with a space).

And when it should say "2", it says "2 2". It's as if the whole screen is "ghosted" on the display, and numbers are mirrored, even overlapping some digits, causing a corrupted display.

silicon212
11-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree what SwagonS said. I have 2 Caprice, 1993 and 1995, and both had simular problems. The 1993 would cut in and out, so I took the digital odometer out, and cleaned the contacts with alcahol. Problem fixed!
The 1995 went totally out with no more digital display, so I tried the same trick, but it went out again with in a few months. I took it out and add more solder to the soldered dots, and it fix the problem.
The 2 black connectors are poorly designed. I might change the whole connector to a plug if this ever happens again.

You dredged up a 4-year-old post. Please do NOT reply to any thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

I'm sure none of those guys are even here anymore to read your reply.

Add your comment to this topic!