Good Way to Remove Paint

Desi Z 07
07-10-2003, 10:14 PM
i jus found a great way to remove paint off of small parts. whenever i make a mistake i jus use nail polish remover and dip a q tip in it and i jus rub it over the place where i want to remove the paint. i dont know how many different kinds of paints this works for but i know for sure that it works on acrylics... i have yet to try it on the spray paint (tamiya) but when i do ill post it up... sounds easier and quicker then some of the ways ive seen here.

TheSyndicate
07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
:disappoin That's acetone, which will melt plastic.

LaTtE`X
07-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Nail polish remover contains acetone, a solvent that can remove acrylics. It doesn't work with enamel though. Be very careful though, because nail polish remover can melt putty. You heard that right. In one other modelling site (Aircraft Resource Center) (http://www.aircraftresourcecenter) a user has posted an article on how to use nail polish remover on putty so that one does not need to sand it down around contours.

Also be VERY careful with your clear parts. Nail polish remover can easily fog them up.

Integra06
07-11-2003, 12:16 AM
If you use an automotive filler or putty like a Bondo product, acetone is what they recommend you clean your tools with, so be careful if you use this kind of putty or any at all. Every time I've used acetone to remove acrylic paint, I just dump a little bit on and wipe it off without anything happening to the plastic. My advice is to use a cotton ball dipped in the acetone and just rub until the paint is gone, then sand with a low grit automotive sandpaper to take the remaining paint off and also to roughen it up for primer if you use it. Good luck and hope this helps.

Purpura Delujo
07-11-2003, 01:16 AM
I found that Revell professional glue is good for getting off small amounts of paint, but if you intend on stripping a whole car with it then...........................................DAM NIT! Wheres the Bong Smilie gone!?!?!?!

ShOrtyOC714
07-11-2003, 02:53 AM
Nail Polish Remover will mess up ur model or parts, they will get warped, iv learned my lesson along time ago, thats why i use CSC now.

exhaust smoke
07-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Ooooh no:nono:

I've tried that before and the plastic started crumbling in my hands!! I definitely think that brake fluid is the best option to remove paint. It's been tried and tested. However, if you want to remove enamels/acrylics from small painted parts, I think oven cleaners such as Mr Muscle do the job just as well and does less harm to the plastic.

MR-2RaCeR
07-11-2003, 11:08 AM
:iagree:

Add your comment to this topic!