using rubbing or cutting compounds...

claystbird
07-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi all..Can someone answer this for me..If Im going to put a clear coat over my paint, and I plan to use a rubbing compound of some kind, like the 3M stuff, should I use it after I apply the clear coat, or before, or do I use it on the paint and then again on the clear coat..I know that sounds confusing..lol..Thanks..Matt

lowcrome
07-10-2003, 07:48 PM
WELCOME TO AF! its a great place:bigthumb:

can we have sum pics of your work? :biggrin:

u use the compound b4 the clear coat
but idk bout after:confused:

bah humbug
07-10-2003, 08:37 PM
This is getting annoying! :rolleyes:

Maybe we should take away the FAQ from people who ask stuff like this!

I'm sorry for being harsh, but it's happening a lot.

Yeah and I know your a newb so I guess this once is ok.

TheSyndicate
07-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by lowcrome
WELCOME TO AF! its a great place:bigthumb:

can we have sum pics of your work? :biggrin:

u use the compound b4 the clear coat
but idk bout after:confused:

No. Go ahead and clearcoat before polishing. The two paints will partially merge, and then you polish the cured clearcoat and it will even out.

themodelkid
07-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Yeah, idk why you would polish befor clearcote????? Unless your high off paint fumes, you polish after clear cote, if you do before it can mess up ur paint.

lowcrome
07-10-2003, 11:45 PM
o i guess i better put the paint away:biggrin:

i didnt mean polish b4 the clear

just the rubbing compound b4 it to get rid of sum orange peel
then rubbing compound and then polish after clear

is that not a way to do it?

am i really high on paint fumes?

TheSyndicate
07-10-2003, 11:56 PM
You aren't making sense. :disappoin

lowcrome
07-11-2003, 12:58 AM
im prolly not makin sense
im tired
and hell u guys r the pros at this
u tell him how to do it
my models suck
forget i even posted in this thread
i cant help any1 i cant even help myself

:frown:

dag65
07-11-2003, 01:55 PM
I get what you are saying, you need to remove orange peel from the color coats before you clear coat. Use micromesh polishing cloths, the 4000 grit should work well or you might even start at 6000 then clear coat, then use your polish and it will shine like a mother

DSM-Mark
07-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I'd be wary of using any wet chemical product between colour and clear coats... the clear may not bond or may react with the colour coat after it has been exposed to these chemicals. As dag65 said, use a high grit sandpaper between colour and clear, if you have fairly noticable orange peel. Be careful not to sand right through the colour coat, though. Good luck!

dag65
07-11-2003, 02:16 PM
The only product that I know of that you can polish with and paint over are the plastic polishes

zerrocool
07-11-2003, 02:42 PM
if you give it a nice tamiya comound and tamiya wax you don't nead any clear coat, wath p-man's models he never uses clear coat and his painting is really good

dag65
07-11-2003, 02:44 PM
True however if you are using a base coat clear coat system you need to use clear and even some pearls and mettalics are better if protected by clear

Add your comment to this topic!