Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turbochargers(porsche 911 or 944....I forgot)

AEstud
11-17-2001, 09:34 PM
My friend and I were in a discussion about Porsche's and he said that you get can different stages of turbcharges with either the 911 or the 944, I don't remember which one he said but Im not sure if he's right or wrong. I need some clarification on this one.

Seabass
11-18-2001, 09:58 AM
You mean from the company stock?

If that's the case I don't think so. Now I'm sure you can get something aftermarket for it.

"Stage" or "Stages" is just a term used very loosly by different companies to talk about their kits. It has no technical meaning. Two different companies could have 3 kits (consisting of 3 stages) and all the "stages" be different. Don't get the term confused with what's actually out there.

Now there may be some difference from the manufacturer between European spec 911/944 and US spec and it's possible that they have a different size turbo.

Seabass

Hudson
11-20-2001, 10:47 AM
The 944, as far as I remember, only had one turbocharged version sold in the US...about 247hp.

The 911 has had a number of different versions over the years. A few years ago, for example, there was the 911 Turbo (400hp) and the 911 Turbo S (425hp).

Having a different "stage" or power output for any engine sold in the US is an expensive proposition for the car maker. Each version must be certified for emissions and fuel economy, this is the primarily reason why you don't see as many variations on an engine as there was in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Add your comment to this topic!