Does anybody else think the Revell Civic Si SUCKS!!!

Mean_B16
07-10-2003, 06:02 PM
I am not sure If I just got a bunk kit or if all the Sis suck? the fitment is just crap, the headlights, window piece, front bumber and actually the whole body just sucks! My kit may just be warped or whatever and I can get it right before I finish but MAN the ITR kit puts this one to shame. What experience have all you guys had with this kit??? opinons??

I LOVE the car but I just HATE the KIT!!!

Ghost_9418
07-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I have the civic hatchback which probably has the same fitment as the si but I thought it was pretty good.(for revell):smile:

willimo
07-10-2003, 06:25 PM
I thought it was about on par with the Integra kit. The windows take some finageling to get in right, the trick is (I discovered) that the little triangular windows for the back seat actually push into the opening in the body. It was a pain to get it in, and I was afraid to bust my body but it works well and is more convincing than if the window sat back a couple of millimiters. The bumpers seemed fine to me, but I attached them to the body for painting, and tried to get the headlamps in later. That sucked, too, but I just trimmed the little bits of bumper meant to hold the lamps in, and then epoxied them in place to make up for the lost strength. The rest of the kit fit great, in my opinion, better than most Revell kits I've built, so maybe yours is just warped.

The only things I didn't like about the kit were the screws in the bottom (Civics don't have 4 bigs screws holding them together, I checked.), the really lousy muffler, the oversized "stock" rims and how the sunroof was molded in, and had to be filled to remove it. (ie Fujimi leaves the roof solid, and you cut the sunroof out if you like.)

z33guy
07-10-2003, 06:45 PM
i didnt like the kit. My headlights lenses dont line up with the assembly. And some other little stuff i wasnt to happy with. The motor detail was pretty nice tho.

ZoomZoomMX-5
07-10-2003, 07:06 PM
It doesn't suck at all, but it's a bit lame in a few places. As mentioned earlier, the headlights/buckets are meant to be attached w/the front bumper in the final assembly. Plan ahead and tape the bumper to the body so the paint matches, but glue it near the end.

The glass fit can be tricky, but take your time, look at it closely, fit it before you paint it.

My biggest problems are that the headlight lenses aren't stock, the rims are too large for stock, the tires are goofy for stock, and the track both front and rear looks too narrow on nearly every built version I've seen. The wheels don't sit that far into the body. I don't mind the custom options, but I really like the stock Si and there's no way to effectively make one look that way w/o some work to the lamps and wheels/tires, and nobody makes rims that will look correct.

Vric
07-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Revell is Revell.. they always have bad fitment.. why ? take a look at the part..

some part are made in USA, some part in Germany and other in Italy.. when everyone have done they put that in a box and sell it....

CamaroSSBoy346
07-10-2003, 07:40 PM
I have the HB kit. It pisses me off. I pushed the triangle windowns "out" of the body, and it phucked up all the paint around the windowns. And, second, when ever i put the frame/interior inside the body, yhe rear bumper goes crooked. :eek7: :sly:

Jay!
07-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Vric
Revell is Revell.. they always have bad fitment.. why ? take a look at the part..

some part are made in USA, some part in Germany and other in Italy.. when everyone have done they put that in a box and sell it.... :confused: The Civic kits are engineered in the USA and produced in China...

lowcrome
07-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by willimo

The only things I didn't like about the kit were the screws in the bottom (Civics don't have 4 bigs screws holding them together, I checked.)

are u sure the real ones dont?:confused:

i thought they did:frown:

faztnfuriouz
07-10-2003, 08:41 PM
I ALSO HAVE AN SI , IT CAME OUT GOOD BUT IT WAZ KINDA HARD TOO BUIL I THINK THEY MADE IT A LIL TOO COMPLICATED , THE WHOLE FRONT END WAZ A LIL STRESSING BUT I FINISHED IT , HERES A PIC

MythosGR
07-10-2003, 08:53 PM
I just wanted to mention one little thing.The hasewaga Civic kit lookgreat(proportions are almost identical to the real kit),everything fits perfect(not even one problem until now and I've testfitted almost everything) the stock wheels look great in proportions(but are to skinny just like the real ones) and as a bonus it comes with stickers/guides for the window trim on the glass...

IwannaDRift
07-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Never tried any civic kit, but maybe urs was messed up...

RaceMySS_454
07-10-2003, 09:37 PM
i built myself a civic hatchback and si....both were great kits....the htach was for myself and the civic si was for a friend....i had no problems with either kit...if something didn't fit right all you have to do it take a knife and shave it down a little.....these car take patients and some time...and since they are new and made by revell they have have some problems....but nothing that can not be fixed....

here my hatch and ill have some pics of my friends si soon...

willimo
07-10-2003, 10:05 PM
RaceMySS_454 is right. These are no perfect fitting, flashless, crisp molded, well thought out engineering miracles. But they certainly don't suck. Bust out a Lindbergh kit if you want to see a model that sucks... Those things are almost unsalvageable. I bought one for parts, but they were completely useless. Revell has a long way to go to reach Japanese kit quality, but they certainly aren't so bad that I wouldn't want to work on them. Fighting the model can be half the fun....

primera man
07-10-2003, 10:24 PM
I have the kit but is unbuilt at this stage. I dont expect great things from it like most Revell kits. Iknow they will need extra work.
What i have tested so far didn't look to bad, but time will tell when i have more time to spend on it.
The only thing that really pisses me off the most with the kit is the size. Why they have to build it in 1/25 scale !!!....stick it next to a 1/24 Tamiya Skyline and the thing looks like a bloody "Mini"

Honoturtle
07-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Rear bumper is the biggest problem so far on mine! The other I can deal with, but the rear bumper on mine is like this:
\_____/ instead of |_____|.
My friend got the same kit, and his bumpers fit perfectly fine!

malsheem
07-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by primera man
The only thing that really pisses me off the most with the kit is the size. Why they have to build it in 1/25 scale !!!....stick it next to a 1/24 Tamiya Skyline and the thing looks like a bloody "Mini"

Here here. That annoys the hell out of me, too. And I'd understand if all Revell's were 1:25, but they got 1:24's in there line up, too, right? Does that make any sense?

I've got the Si on my to do list, trying to make a replica of my full size Civic. This is all good information, so I know that I'm going to have to allot some more time and effort into this build.

Thor302
07-11-2003, 11:30 AM
the only problems i had was the bumpers, and that the body didnt want to go onto the chassis very good

Mean_B16
07-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Well is seems as though i may just have a kit thta is a little worse than most. I know how to shave everything to make it fit right, that is not a problem. I just have not had a kit that i had to modify this much in a LONG time, considering i sdid not even do a body kit and left is stock. I just was not sure how everybody else's kits turned out. I already have a 2nd Si Kit I plan to build with a sweet kit and full custom everything, hopefully this one will not suck as bad. Thanks for all the feedback. I will have pics up soon with mine, I am just haveing trouble uploading tham since I do not yet have the hardware, soon though.

fujimituner235
09-28-2003, 04:09 AM
I got the hatch version, and the front bumper on mine sucked. it was so hard for it to stay on even with super glue, damn thing kept breaking off.

pvt_awol
10-04-2003, 12:10 AM
I haven't had any trouble with my si kit. I went and did a couple ITR's, then I got the revell hatch, and finally after searching, found the Si kit. The fitment doesn't seem all that bad. (compared to the AMT F&F models) and they look pretty good.

As for the bumpers, mine seem to fit okay. The only problem I had, was that the Si features a stock engine bay. That is cool if you wanna do the stock Si, but if you are putting the aftermarket header, and body kit on, then you wouldn't stay with the stock air box.... I mean c'mon! Anyway, I just took the front off the hatch kit, and swapped it out for the si kit. Then I cut the intake off the hatch kit, and put it on the Si's intake manifold. Anyway, custom that way. But what I'm getting at is that they should have made the stock pieces something that you could add.

D[X]P
10-04-2003, 12:40 AM
i think this kit was quite good

Mainomega
10-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Why they have to build it in 1/25 scale !!!....stick it next to a 1/24 Tamiya Skyline and the thing looks like a bloody "Mini"

If you wash the shell in hot water with some bleach.... I think it would shrink a bit :)

weaponCIVIC
10-04-2003, 09:18 PM
lol, i just finished this model, pics coming soon! i didnt find this model that challenging.....what did piss me off was, i glued the body kit on , then painted it and realized the the damn lights had to go in first, but it turned out alright. the lenses were no problem.

the screws were definetly the worst!......some advice dont use them just glue it in! where i screwed the front in it f*cked my front body kit.

larrygre
10-06-2003, 01:08 PM

Revell (and AMT/Ertl) engineer their domestic-USA-consumption car kits in 1/25 scale for one reason and one reason only: that 1/25 scale is in essence the "de facto" scale for American car models. Revell (USA)'s 1/24 scale kits, like the BMW Z8 and the Mini Cooper, are Revell Germany kits bought as bagged shots and boxed in the USA.

1/25 scale is in US measurement while 1/24 is metric. That explains why 1/24 became the standard for model car kits made outside the USA.

Ever put a Revell Civic HB next to Fujimi's? What a difference!

gasman03
10-06-2003, 02:36 PM
whats wrong with the Revell Civic kit.....absolutly nothing, its a model kit, there is not a model kit in the world that is 100%, even the Tamiya Enzo is'nt 100%, but its close, these are simple problems to fix, and everyone bitches about scale, I've built some 1:24 and 1:25 scale kits and I have interchanged alot of parts between them, try to build a 1:20 scale Lindberg kit and you'll know the difference. most campany's don't have the budget to a model to 100% accurency. and fits problems are in all kits, I had ALOT of problems trying to get the chassis to fit the body in the Tamiya 1994-1999 Celica kit.

larrygre
10-06-2003, 04:04 PM
The only problem I had, was that the Si features a stock engine bay. That is cool if you wanna do the stock Si, but if you are putting the aftermarket header, and body kit on, then you wouldn't stay with the stock air box.... I mean c'mon! Anyway, I just took the front off the hatch kit, and swapped it out for the si kit. Then I cut the intake off the hatch kit, and put it on the Si's intake manifold. Anyway, custom that way. But what I'm getting at is that they should have made the stock pieces something that you could add.

That made no sense to me either. Revell went as far as to add "stock" versions of the ITR and both Civics, but the ITR and the Civic HB have non-stock engine components. The "rubber band" tires are another matter entirely but at least there are decent rep stock-style tire replacements available from Aoshima and Fujimi (and I don't mean Pirelli P7s! :) )

I figure it this way: Revell is on a learning curve. They experimented by doing these three new kits and found out that they are (and this is straight from R-M themselves) their best selling kits in recent history. I think its a no-brainer that there will be more Revell kits like the ITR and Civics. I hope, though, that someone (IMHO, R-M or R-G is the logical choice) will pick up on doing some Eurotuners as well as the hot Japanese stuff. Audi A4 or S4, anyone? Golf GTI or R32? Jetta (Bora) GLI or GLX? M-B C230? BMW M3 and Z4?

D[X]P
10-06-2003, 06:10 PM
yea they reallyshouldmake a jetta,bmw,or a gti

z33guy
10-06-2003, 06:46 PM
I dislike the kit with an extreme vengance, someone buy me fireworks....this model must die!!

D[X]P
10-07-2003, 07:04 PM
I dislike the kit with an extreme vengance, someone buy me fireworks....this model must die!!
haha lol :loser:

Add your comment to this topic!