Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does the Murcielago need to be run in ?

imgunn
07-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Hi,

For those of you who bought a Murcielago new, did you have to run it in ?

I have read that new cars do not need to do this anymore, is this true ?

Thanks

raven1822
07-10-2003, 10:38 AM
All cars/bikes/engine should be run in from what I have heard. This being said, because of increase build tolerances and quality control "break in" an engine in is not as important as it used to be. When I buy a new car I don't dog the sh*t out of it until it has a couple of thousand miles and at least 1 oil change in it. When I bought the GSXR I put about 500 miles and 1 oil change on it before really crackin' the throttle open.

Hell if I owned a Lambo I would baby it for life, I want it to last as long as possible.

spare_me_a_murci
07-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by raven1822
Hell if I owned a Lambo I would baby it for life, I want it to last as long as possible.

Yes, I would definitely treasure it too, but it would be damn hard having those 580 bhp at my disposal and not being able to taste it!

Tony_Ensemble
07-11-2003, 01:02 AM
I was told it didn't need to be broken in. I didn't beleive that of course but I still couldn't resist a little fun. I now have 1700 miles.

Sean
07-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by spare_me_a_murci

Yes, I would definitely treasure it too, but it would be damn hard having those 580 bhp at my disposal and not being able to taste it!

i think i might be able to work it in and get used to it for like, 500 miles, but then the temptation of all those stallions would get to me

raven1822
07-11-2003, 02:25 AM
I agree with all of you. I am always a little bit apprehensive when I buy a new auto. But you are so right, 580 bhp would be a little to hard to not abuse. Hell I can't even stop ridin' wheelies on the GSXR now. The damn thing spends more time one wheel than two.

Add your comment to this topic!