Page updated on 04-20-2018

can anyone teach me how to double clutch?


hotice318ti
07-09-2003, 02:40 PM
anyone? :iceslolan

i used to drive automatic... this is my fist stick shift and i wanna know how to double clutch.... i'd like to try it out by myself cuz i kinda wanna surprise my bf on the street... and yea, can it damage my clutch when i double clutch?

Ringo
07-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah, you can burn it. So heres how it goes, you're coming into your braking zone, you hit the brakes, at the same time you're starting to push the cluth and simultaneously pushing the gas with the heel of your right foot, that's right you're pushin all the pedals at the same time, what you're trying to do is match the revs to the drive shaft so you don't spin the car around, but also helps it in braking. If you do that wrong, your bf will friggin kill you!

iNgLi$
07-09-2003, 04:42 PM
http://www.g-speed.com/pbh/double-clutch.html

Neutrino
07-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Ringo
Yeah, you can burn it. So heres how it goes, you're coming into your braking zone, you hit the brakes, at the same time you're starting to push the cluth and simultaneously pushing the gas with the heel of your right foot, that's right you're pushin all the pedals at the same time, what you're trying to do is match the revs to the drive shaft so you don't spin the car around, but also helps it in braking. If you do that wrong, your bf will friggin kill you!


that is called left foot braking and has nothing to do with double clutching....just ignore this guy....he was recently banned anyway......



double clutching means push the clutch put it in neutral release the clutch then push it again and shift....it was used in old 18 wheelers that had crappy syncros.....

this technique is never used in racing...you'll lose time doing it and gain nothing.....it was just a stupid phrase used in fast and the furious to sound cool.....if your bf knows anything about cars and you mention to him that you want to double clutch he'll laugh at you.....and so will anyone else that knows car....so avoid using that expresion unless you make fun of F&F.... BTW do not take seriously 99% of that movie.....

hotice318ti
07-10-2003, 12:33 AM
the fast n the furious and the 2fast2furious.... i thought they were so funny... especially 2fast2furious..... and yea they're ridiculous as well... i went to watch that cuz i thought the skyline was gonna be there for the whole movie.... oh well..



thanks for the info.

speediva
07-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Neutrino beat me to it. Unless you're making fun of some loser for thinking that double-clutching is used in cars with synchros, don't even think about the technique. ;) BTW: if you're at all interested in what that other *ahem*individual was talking about, THAT is called heel-toeing (at least I assume so... I gave up reading the misinformed post).

B16EJ1
07-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Neutrino




double clutching means push the clutch put it in neutral release the clutch then push it again and shift....it was used in old 18 wheelers that had crappy syncros.....

this technique is never used in racing...you'll lose time doing it and gain nothing.....it was just a stupid phrase used in fast and the furious to sound cool.....if your bf knows anything about cars and you mention to him that you want to double clutch he'll laugh at you.....and so will anyone else that knows car....so avoid using that expresion unless you make fun of F&F.... BTW do not take seriously 99% of that movie.....

Actually there is a double clutch technique that is used in racing. The double clutching that the stupid ass flick was reffering to was when you pop your clutch in when stomping it in low rpm's. This will bump you into your powerband. You then ride your power band then pop your clutch in (or powershift ) to shift to next gear then while in low rpm's pop the clutch in again ( while still mashing the throttle ) and it will again bump you into your powerband quicker than normal driving. This will shave a few tenths if a second off the quarter and break teeth off your gears at the same time.

Here's another arguement I had on the same subject. Maybe I explained it better there............

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=104194&highlight=power+shifting

Neutrino
07-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by B16EJ1


Actually there is a double clutch technique that is used in racing. The double clutching that the stupid ass flick was reffering to was when you pop your clutch in when stomping it in low rpm's. This will bump you into your powerband. You then ride your power band then pop your clutch in (or powershift ) to shift to next gear then while in low rpm's pop the clutch in again ( while still mashing the throttle ) and it will again bump you into your powerband quicker than normal driving. This will shave a few tenths if a second off the quarter and break teeth off your gears at the same time.

Here's another arguement I had on the same subject. Maybe I explained it better there............

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=104194&highlight=power+shifting


i think the problem we have here is of definitions.....the technique that he was mentioning.....to apply the brake with your toes adnd press the throttle with your heel while your left foot works the clutch....this is called heel and toe not double clutching....



btw i mistakenly refered to it in my previous post as left foot braking....it was a mistake its called heel and toe and its used both to keep the car in the powerband and to keep the weight on the front weels to eliminate understeer

knorsk
07-11-2003, 08:57 PM
who needs a clutch, just slam it into the next gear.:cwm27:

Gradyman25
07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

94SolGrl
07-12-2003, 11:09 AM
There's also feathering the clutch, which is what I do whenever I drive, and is probably the reason I have a clutch sitting on my passenger seat right now. Feathering is basically where you press the pedal in just enough to disengage the tranny. Gas stays on the floor. Makes for a slightly quicker shift, but like a few people have said, the wear and tear on your clutch gets up there. I would get a racing clutch if you're gonna be seriously racing your car. Can't beat a 2,700 lb pressure plate. Just try and destroy that mug. Yeah they're $500, but it beats replacing your clutch every 10 minutes.

XxLuckyLisaxX
07-12-2003, 02:53 PM
u want to impress him, learn to rev match when coming to a stop push clutch in rev it in neutral up to the proper rpms and down shift to the next lower gear, if you dont match the rpms it will sort of jolt but if you do its really smooth, ive been told this isnt bad for your engine or tranny since you reving in neutral and matching the revs, if you didnt match them then it would take a small beating on your tranny over time, you can do this from 5th all the way to 1st and of course dont be a dumb ass and try to down shift to 2nd going like 60 where your revs would be too high and could cause damage

Neutrino
07-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 94SolGrl
There's also feathering the clutch, which is what I do whenever I drive, and is probably the reason I have a clutch sitting on my passenger seat right now. Feathering is basically where you press the pedal in just enough to disengage the tranny. Gas stays on the floor. Makes for a slightly quicker shift, but like a few people have said, the wear and tear on your clutch gets up there. I would get a racing clutch if you're gonna be seriously racing your car. Can't beat a 2,700 lb pressure plate. Just try and destroy that mug. Yeah they're $500, but it beats replacing your clutch every 10 minutes.


you forget the fact that you'll get arnold style calfs after a month with a racing clutch:wink:

94SolGrl
07-14-2003, 09:18 AM
WERD! I drove a mustang with an ACT heavy duty clutch... good lord.. it almost took both feet to press the clutch pedal in!

So you see, it's a win/win.. you get killer legs, your car and it's clutch stay happy! :)

Neutrino
07-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 94SolGrl
WERD! I drove a mustang with an ACT heavy duty clutch... good lord.. it almost took both feet to press the clutch pedal in!

So you see, it's a win/win.. you get killer legs, your car and it's clutch stay happy! :)

no no no.....you get one killer leg and one skinny leg....:biggrin:

94SolGrl
07-14-2003, 04:29 PM
the other will be killer because you hold the gas on the floor.. hard... duh. :)

fokus
07-17-2003, 11:39 AM
if you really wanna surprise your boyfriend on the street, take off like usual in 1st gear...take it up to like 4 grand, then push the clutch in, rev it up, and drop the clutch...essentially a rolling launch, and then slam 2nd as hard as you can. that should impress him. :biggrin: :biggrin: he may even want to take a few lessons from you on driving! :wink:

TheNotoriousMogg
07-17-2003, 09:12 PM
double clutching is what all Teh ricers are doin these days :icon16:

D33A
07-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by XxLuckyLisaxX
u want to impress him, learn to rev match when coming to a stop push clutch in rev it in neutral up to the proper rpms and down shift to the next lower gear, if you dont match the rpms it will sort of jolt but if you do its really smooth, ive been told this isnt bad for your engine or tranny since you reving in neutral and matching the revs, if you didnt match them then it would take a small beating on your tranny over time, you can do this from 5th all the way to 1st and of course dont be a dumb ass and try to down shift to 2nd going like 60 where your revs would be too high and could cause damage

That's double clutching...trying to make it smoother when you downshift and not allow the engine to slow the car down. The jolt causes the car to slow down...they don't use it in racing? Heal toe is a form of double clutching while using the brakes. It's about rev matching to the lower gear. FNF and 2FN2F may say alot of crap but not everything is crap... Pratice going 40mph in 5th gear at 2500rpmish...keeping the speed at 40mph, double clutch and downshift to 4th with rpm at 3500rpmish. Keeping it smooth and not letting the engine slow you down, then double clutch and downshift to 3rd at 4500rpmish. You usually only use it when someone hits up you on the street and you want it to be in the higher hp and torque making rpms....or you could just rev it up to 4500rpmish and shift straight to 3rd gear from 5th.

second_glance
07-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by 94SolGrl
There's also feathering the clutch, which is what I do whenever I drive, and is probably the reason I have a clutch sitting on my passenger seat right now. Feathering is basically where you press the pedal in just enough to disengage the tranny. Gas stays on the floor. Makes for a slightly quicker shift, but like a few people have said, the wear and tear on your clutch gets up there. I would get a racing clutch if you're gonna be seriously racing your car. Can't beat a 2,700 lb pressure plate. Just try and destroy that mug. Yeah they're $500, but it beats replacing your clutch every 10 minutes.


I call it kicking the clutch, you basically kick down the clutch while keeping the gas pressed down so the rev's jump up which creates more power. This is done inbetween shifts, if you do it during the shifts it is called power shifting, and that was probably the easiest explanation to understand!

NDeBa
07-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by D33A


That's double clutching...trying to make it smoother when you downshift and not allow the engine to slow the car down. The jolt causes the car to slow down...they don't use it in racing? Heal toe is a form of double clutching while using the brakes. It's about rev matching to the lower gear. FNF and 2FN2F may say alot of crap but not everything is crap... Pratice going 40mph in 5th gear at 2500rpmish...keeping the speed at 40mph, double clutch and downshift to 4th with rpm at 3500rpmish. Keeping it smooth and not letting the engine slow you down, then double clutch and downshift to 3rd at 4500rpmish. You usually only use it when someone hits up you on the street and you want it to be in the higher hp and torque making rpms....or you could just rev it up to 4500rpmish and shift straight to 3rd gear from 5th.

I think that Luckylucy was talking about dry shifting not double clutching and she was revering to coming to a stopnot raceing. In normal driving you really don't even need the clutch at all except to keep the car running at a stop light. you can dry shift from 1st to second (hard though) 2nd to 3rd and bla bla then you can head right back down you just have to let the rpms drop or rev to raise the rpms.

BullShifter
08-03-2003, 03:52 AM
I think the most impressive is smooth accurate shifting without using the clutch up & down. Heel-toe with double clutching while turning is impressive also. Even better would be Heel-toe with double clutch with an e-brake drift:bigthumb:

learn all types of driving technique ----->http://www.driftsession.com/drift_techniques/heeltoeshifting.htm

Your best instruction would come from a racing school with pro instruction

www.racingschools.com

Add your comment to this topic!