Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Accord Transmission Problem

vassil3427
07-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Ok, I have a 1998 Honda Accord V-6, which I recently acquired, we have a body shop and bought it wrecked(has been fully repaired now), It has a clean title and everything but anyway. It was mainly wrecked in the rear only slightly in the nose. Anyway it probably sat for 6 months without being moved, it runs great( Only has 37,000 miles on it) but the transmission seems to be having problems, when accelerating from 1st to 2nd it jerks hard if you arent carefully accelerating, it isnt really happeneing in any of the other gears, though it can be felt lightly when going from 2nd to 3rd. Do you all think maybe its a vaccum hose?? The check engine light came on after a few minutes. it seems to have a bit too much tranny fluid in it, could that be causing it?? Any help is appreciated!

HONDA_99
07-08-2003, 10:41 PM
I had similar problem, took my car to dealer and they diagnose it as excessive clutch plates wear on 2nd gear, therefore transmission needs to be rebuild. they quoted $5600 to replace it, but extended warranty did not wanted to pay that much, I went to AAMCO. total charge was $2300 but I cost me only $100 of deductible. it took almost 3week to rebuild it, it took that much time because poor communication between extended warranty company and AAMCO.

i know few guys at www.v6performance.net who had to replace tranny but had no extended warranty, so they bitched to Honda about it and Honda agree to pay for parts, parts is major chunk of money in rebuilding tranny. main reason they were able to get Honda to pay for parts because Honda having problem with transmissions on V6 power cars (accord V6, TL, CL), they even extended factory warranty to 100,000ml for 2000 & 2001 model. there is no difference between 1998 and 2001 transmissions so you got point argue.

BullShifter
07-08-2003, 10:41 PM
A V6 tranny with problems? No way:iceslolan That is a very common problem among 98 & newer honda's with a V6. Replacing the transmission with a known good unit will be your best bet. Trying to rebuild the current one will only waste time & bring headaches.

I dont think the 7yr/100K tranny warranty applies to 98's but it wouldnt hurt to check with a local honda dealer.

vassil3427
07-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Well I talked to Honda of America, and got a really nice service woman on the phone, she told me they may be willing to pay for the new tranny after I take my car into my local deralership and they confirm that the tranny is going out....so I'll keep my fingers crossed....

BullShifter
07-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Dont mention the car was crashed!

Hopefully they will pick-up the full amount or atleast do a 50/50 split with you.

Im guessing the code stored is for either linear solenoid or shift lock solenoid

Drive in reverse for a few blocks & listen for clunking noise.

vassil3427
08-05-2003, 09:20 AM
It's been awhile since I posted this, but it ended up my tranny wasnt going out, one of the solenoids was partially pulled out of the tranny(Noticed it when I removed the battery) After pushing it back in, it shifted sooo smooth. However, Honda of Americ had already told me that if the tranny was dying they would pay for all of it. I Love Honda
A pic of the car in question is below...

vassil3427
08-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Here's what it looked like wrecked(before it was fixed, the above picture is after we fixed it):

Add your comment to this topic!