Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

first bike 2002 cbr600 f4i

iT90accord
07-07-2003, 03:28 PM
ok my car is about sold and i've been planning on buying a bike for a long time. i was at a stop light in my car and a bike pulled up next to me and stared at my car so i rolled down the window and told him how i liked his bike and was looking for one and he said he would sell his so i followed him into a parking lot and checked out his bike. its in perfect condition never been layed down and he said he'd sell it to me for 5,000 bucks with a matching helmet. i've been looking on ebay and other places to try to find an idea of how much they usually go for and about everyone i've looked at has gone for way more than 5 grand. i was planning on buying a 97 or so cbr but this seems like it was ment to be especailly with that price. this is my first bike however so i guess what im asking is what do you all think of the bike, some things to be careful of when riding, and if anyone knows of a good sounding slip-on to put on it because i love the sound of bikes and want mine to sound good. im not after speed because the bike has enough stock i just want it to sound better. im not after speach's about how i shouldn't buy it for my first bike i know the dangers very well and have already purchased leathers helmet gloves the works. i respect the power of bikes and the dangers and im not tryin to satisfy my ego i just want a good looking dependable nice sports bike and i think that this is the right one.

thanx for the help

radianguy
07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Good choice for a bike,not my first choice.But hey,i'm a yamaha man.Anyway back to your question,sounds too good to be true.How is mileage,chain & sprockets?Does the bike go into every gear?Ask if you can take it to a mechanic you know to check it out.And finally why would you want to make a bike louder?You can have a lot of fun on a quieter bike!

But thats just my opinion!

speediva
07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
I'd have a mechanic fully look the bike over. If the bike is in great shape, you already saved yourself several hundred, so what's $100 to make sure it's in perfect or at the very least nice working order???

Learning to ride on an F4i is doable. I have a friend who took the MSF basic skills course and bought the F4i as his first bike, and he's done quite well for himself. He started with a lot of self-control, though. TAKE THE COURSE and then apply the skills to the CBR as you get them. It's more than worth it. Plastics are expensive, so learn well the first time.

As for cans... I'd honestly go without it for a while. You'll have to get the bike rejetted, and that's more money on top of what you'd spend on a can in the first place. When you do finally get to the point of buying a slipon... Unless you like your eardrums bleeding, do NOT get the D&D. The riders in my crew wear earplugs when someone with a D&D comes out. No joke.

iT90accord
07-07-2003, 10:15 PM
im sure the bike is in perfect condition the guy just wants to get rid of it and he got it for a real good deal so thats why he's sellin it cheap not because somethin is wrong... i thought that if you just got a slip on and not full exhaust you didn't have to have your bike rejetted. if anyones got some links to some places to buy stuff for bikes post em cause they'd be useful.

iT90accord
07-07-2003, 10:19 PM
any thoughts about AKRAPOVIC exhaust

Blue02R6
07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by iT90accord
any thoughts about AKRAPOVIC exhaust

One of the best. I've got their slip-on on my bike, and I have no complaints. My only wish is that they'd sell the EVO system without the can.

iT90accord
07-13-2003, 12:52 PM
what about like a 98-2001 ninja zx-6r? is that to much for a first bike i like the looks of them and all i just dont know if there as forgiving as the cbr.

R1-rider
07-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Your first bike should NEVER be a sportsbike, please go read some of the other topics in this forum of other people inquiring about first bikes to get.

iT90accord
07-13-2003, 06:28 PM
i appreciate ur concern but did u read my first post

Blue02R6
07-13-2003, 08:30 PM
I just reread your first post. Things to be careful of, well: power application, cornering speed (and if you happen to find that your hot into a corner lean more,) clutch application, brake application, slanty curbs, and cage drivers. Thats some of them, basically everything that has to do with riding. When your learning to make the bike move don't be afraid to stall it, after all that's much better than looping it.:biggrin:

R1-rider
07-14-2003, 12:20 AM
I did read your first post, and my stance is still the same. Nobody should ever start on a sportbike, I wish the US would adopt other countries policies when it comes to motorcycles and not allow people to start out on bikes over 500cc. Even if it is a f4i, which is commonly associated as a more tame sportbike, it still has all the power of the other ones. If the bike has the ability to flip you, without forcively making it, it is not a good starterbike. <thats a period

F4i rider
07-16-2003, 07:23 AM
I dissagree r1. At the beginning of this year I purchased my first motorcycle. A 2002 Honda cbr F4i. I had no previous experience on a motorcycle. Due to the break in period, i never tached the bike over 10,000 or ran it full throttle for the first 600 miles. iT90accord, I suggest the same "break in" period for youself. give yourself time to learn the basics of riding, and being VERY aware of your surroundings (ie. other drivers who could care less about a motorcyclist).

The f4i is a great first bike as long as you are not a complete idiot or lack basic self control. I suggest AKRAPOVIC exhaust for best sound\quality if you can afford it. Otherwise take a look at MIG, yoshimura, or m4. Scorpion makes a well priced can too. Also, I would suggest buying a steering damper(first) for your f4i. Changed my bike completely. I went with a Scotts damper and i suggest it to everyone. There is much more stability now.

All in all, a sport bike can be a good first bike if you can control yourself. Any motorcycle, and especially sport bikes, can kill you fast. Keep your eyes open, and have fun. I know I am!

speediva
07-16-2003, 11:53 AM
if you can control yourself

You do realize that the market of sportbikes is growing towards a younger and younger age bracket, right? You do realize that guys have testosterone/penis size issues so they feel they must have the latest and greatest to pick up chicks, right??? YOU DO REALIZE THAT MOST GUYS DON'T HAVE SELF-CONTROL AT 35 LET ALONE 20, right?!?!?!

It's a nice idea that every sportbike rider is going to be tame and give themselves a chance to learn their bike and what it and they can and cannot do, but it's about as likely as me growing a penis from my forehead. It won't happen.

iT90accord
07-16-2003, 01:49 PM
I have absolutely no urge to go really fast or start doin all kinds of stupid shit. I just want to have a nice bike to ride some people do have self control its not that uncommon because when you think about how you'll probably kill yourself if you dont have self control, it kinda makes u have self control and i guess if you think your invicible then you probably will kill yourself but either way i just wanna know about bikes not how no 20 year old has self control......

What about a 2001 yamaha YZF-600R? any thoughts about that bike?

F4i rider
07-16-2003, 02:42 PM
saturntangerine, notice the condition, "if" in "if you can control yourself."
Everything hinges on that. Moving on.

iT90accord, From the studying that I did, I would have to say that the YZF-600R is a good choice also. From my limited knowledge, I think of things like this:

F4i-- Good alround bike not geared as much toward all out performance as competetors. Comfortable ergonomics(in comparison to littler bikes). will last a fairly long time and it is smooth. My personal choice(the price was also right)

GSX-R 600-- Fast. Plain and simple. Feels like it's gonna shake apart under full throttle, but fast. For those who want to be the .... well, fastest. Keep it for 2 years then sell it, otherwise you'll be fixing stuff regularly.

YZF-600-- Good all around. Great brakes, steering can be a little nervous if pushed, but goes where you point it. Another good alround bike that's comfortable(relative)

ZX6-R-- i know the lest about this one. it's not top dog in any one arena, but all in all it's a good bike. chassis is well sorted out. but bike could use a little more in each department

Again, I am no test drive editor, but this is what I feel like I got from the 100 too many reviews I read. Do your own research, and you may find that one bike just keeps popping into your mind.

speediva
07-16-2003, 04:01 PM
My picks for a "starter" 600 are as follows in order of BEST choice to WORST choice. This coming only after the list of 500cc bikes is exhausted.

FZR600-smooth accelleration without the choppiness of the YZF-R6 "touchy throttle" syndrome.

XJ600S-What I have now. EXCELLENT, SMOOTH throttle. Plenty of power, very smooth transmission, VERY comfortable stance, AND it's "naked" meaning less plastic for you to replace when it falls over or you go down.

F2 or F3 CBR600-earlier 90's technology is far more forgiving on learner's throttle and controls. Same solid, dependable Honda engines.

F4i-solid inline 4, but still "too much" considering the fuel injection rather than carburators found on the FZRs or the earlier CBR600s.

ZX6E-Kawi's GENTLER 600 rather than the R line. More forgiving with only a few HP less but the same frame, etc. Insurance on the E will be significantly less than the R.

YZF600R-A very developed 600 even WITHOUT the R6 title. Still more than any "new" rider should be at the controls of. The R6 again means touchy throttle which means inexperienced rider goes down.

Pick a USED mid-90s bike and just look at insurance costs. You'll be AMAZED at how different they can be.

Blue02R6
07-25-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by F4i rider
All in all, a sport bike can be a good first bike if you can control yourself.

No. You are wrong, I have a lot of self control. I got my R6 as a first bike, I all most looped it in the first weeks. Listen to tangie she is wise. Oh and you have to rejet the bike when ever you change anything on the intake or exhaust systems.

Tangie when you say "YZF 600-NO-R" are you taking about the YZF600R (the not R6 one)?

speediva
07-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Blue02R6

Tangie when you say "YZF 600-NO-R" are you taking about the YZF600R (the not R6 one)?

I meant NOT the R6. I was thinking on too many tracks at once, and my train of thought had a major derailing. :redface: Good catch.

Add your comment to this topic!