Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anybody have their racing licence?

Dillweed
03-24-2001, 12:21 AM
:cool: I'd love to have one.

i_rebel
05-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Is there really such a thing . . . ?

:confused:

Dillweed
05-18-2001, 12:58 AM
The best place I know of is the Bob Bondurant course.
It's in Phoenix Arizona.
Go to their web site and you'll see.
It costs about 2000 US to take the 2 week course.
Check it out and post a reply to tell me what you think.

P10DET
08-27-2001, 09:56 PM
I'm close.

I've done my two SCCA schools. I should have done one of my two races, but the car broke during the last school. I will have my SCCA regional license before the end of the year.

I've been to the Spenard-David Racing School (now Bridgestone) in Canada. David Empringham, two-time (almost three-time) Formula Atlantic champion and Indy Lights Champion, was my instructor.

I also raced karts for a number of years.

BTW, most racing schools will not qualify you for a license. If you prearrange it with the SCCA, a number of approved professional driving schools can count as your SCCA schools. There are a very few professional school programs that can qualify you for a license, but they are significantly more expensive.

Trigger351
09-10-2001, 11:30 PM
I have my ANDRA Drag racing licence in Australia.

Didnt have to go to school but had to demonstrate control of the car during a burnout and a couple of half track passes in front of the officials. :smoka:

mitchfrmwpg
10-09-2001, 11:02 PM
Man, you aussie's got it easy. Its very hard to become a competitive racer in north america as there is strict standards you have to be able to pass for safety reason for yourself, and others on the track. I wish to get my SCCA lisence but at the moment I have other financial priorities(READ: bills).

Dillweed
10-10-2001, 11:03 PM
Yeah, we can all se your priorities in you signature.;)

mitchfrmwpg
10-11-2001, 12:00 AM
ha ha, i get beer at discount because I buy in bulk. J/K For real i never drink and drive those are meant to be taken as seperate events D&D is stupid and pointless. I like to drink beer but I dont have the money to drink anywhere near as much as I'd like to. And I never pay for ass so thats not a financial issue.

Scott 02
01-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Is there really such a thing

Yes, i have a Nascar License. You must have one in order to race were i do. The reason its a Nascar License is because...the speedway i race at is a Nascar Sanctioned track. Otherwise it is sponsored by Nascar. Some dirt tracks have track licenses too but they are not Nascar licenses b/c is dirt lol

P10DET
03-09-2003, 08:09 PM
I now have my SCCA regional license.

k_dog
03-10-2003, 07:25 AM
I have an FIA amature licence.

Scott 02
03-10-2003, 07:39 PM
FIA amature licence
When you going to get your pro licence? J/K :D by the way, were do you race ?

rcmaxx
03-10-2003, 07:40 PM
I have SCCA regional and just applied for pro license, but I am gonna have to wait since theres no schools in my area for about 2 months.......

simdel1
03-22-2003, 07:46 AM
i have an FIA MSA national B licence....i only started racing properly mid 2002 and only got my licence february 2002.

i had to do a practical and theory test for the licence, and the practical test was in the wet in a new kart on a track i had never driven before:eek:

Scott 02
03-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes! just got my 2003 Nascar Licence today.

simdel1
03-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Scott 02
Yes! just got my 2003 Nascar Licence today.

feels great holding that piece of card dont it :ylsuper

Scott 02
03-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Hell Yeah! :cool:

450HPviper
04-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Maybe I can follow you guys up to columbus for your first race if I don't have to work. What do you think.

Scott 02
04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
sure, you can ride up. we could use an extra hand at the track you know.

Self
04-03-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Scott 02
sure, you can ride up. we could use an extra hand at the track you know.

What is the first race in Columbus? I could use a road trip this summer, heheh.:)

Scott 02
04-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Yep, you could probably be good help. Im working on getting a few friends together at school and see if they want to help out at the track or not. Lets just say we got an "over the hill" crew not a "over the wall'' crew. :D

450HPviper
04-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Your crew is old, but very wise. Your dads knowlegde is vast when it comes to cars. Just like my dad.

Srocket_3
11-20-2003, 02:38 AM
Ok....I am a talented driver....I say that because I am that person everyone says is the best driver they have ever ridin with. I live in washington and can't find my way into the racing world...how would I go about getting into racing...I really feel that I am able to compete in just about any type of racing.....can anyone help?

TheLogikal1
01-23-2004, 01:49 PM
i got my "s" license from gt3...does that count?

LoL

P10DET
02-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Ok....I am a talented driver....I say that because I am that person everyone says is the best driver they have ever ridin with. I live in washington and can't find my way into the racing world...how would I go about getting into racing...I really feel that I am able to compete in just about any type of racing.....can anyone help?

Just because people tell you you're the best driver they've ridden with, doesn't mean you are talented.

You may be, but the odds are against it. It's OK. It can be learned.

So, you want to get into racing?

The single best way is racing karts. Not kiddie karts or even the excellent indoor rentals such as Davy Jones here in Houston, or F1 Boston, or the like. Real racing karts will teach you more in one season that 5+ seasons in SCCA or similar racing.

Next to consider is a professional driving school such as Bob Bondurant, Skip Barber, Derek Daly, Jim Russell, etc. They will teach you a lot.

You could consider doing driver education (DE) events. These can be good, but generally won't be as good as karts or a professional driving school.

If you really want to go racing, check out http://www.scca.org

Improved Touring is a good entry level class to get started in. You can buy cars with a current log book for under $5000 in many cases. You're most likely going to be better off buying instead of building. It's cheaper too.

The SCCA website will tell you most of what you need to know about getting a competition license.

Where are you located?

TuRbO_$kY|iN£
04-29-2004, 01:07 PM
i got my "s" license from gt3...does that count?

LoL
yea i got a s licence in gt3 aswell. i wish its that easy in real life :headshake

Add your comment to this topic!