Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WRX vs. RSX Type S

mutatedfrog
07-06-2003, 05:24 PM
hi, i was trying to decide between the wrx (not the sti) and the rsx type s. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions about both. Thanks a lot

EJ20
07-06-2003, 06:10 PM
rsx-s= more money in the luxury department
wrx= more money on the performance
both cars are decently fast.
modded ones will be wrx no question ask.

I will get the evo :iceslolan

LjasonL
07-06-2003, 07:40 PM
If you're looking for performance it's the WRX no question. The RSX has too little performance for it's price tag.

Ace$nyper
07-06-2003, 10:13 PM
yup the WRX is a faster car but they RSX is nicer both have a huge aftermarket so both can get fast but the WRX will probbly allways come out on top on the track.

mutatedfrog
07-06-2003, 11:46 PM
I'm 17, and I drive an Infiniti I35, and a lot of people think it's an old man's car, so because of that, i was kind of leaning toward the rsx, because it looks sportier to me. Because people who don't know anything about cars will think that the RSX is much cooler and sportier and faster than the wrx. If I drive the wrx, people will think that I'm just driving my parents car or something. But obviously, the wrx is a better performer. So that is the dillemma that I have to deal with.

mutatedfrog
07-08-2003, 05:00 PM
well, last night I went and drove a 2004 WRX. Oh my God, the clutch is so sensitive, I am a good manual driver, and i have driven 350z's and the rsx and probes and mazda's and honda, and saab's, and the subaru clutch was too sensitive for me, so i killed it a few times. I was not happy with the feel of the clutch at all, so I decided on the rsx. The driveability of the RSX is excellent, I picked it up and i could immediately feel the friction point in the clutch and i drove it perfectly. I think the WRX is a little too intense for me.

I now have 2 options:

1. What do you guys think about an automatic wrx

2. get the RSX

any other opinions would be helpful

freakray
07-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Fine tune your clutch control and get the WRX, then again, you may have driven one car that had a sensitive clutch, try driving a different one and then decide whether you can handle it or not.

Either way, get a manual WRX or none, the auto trans is a sin!

LjasonL
07-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Most likely it wasn't the clutch, but you not being used to the way AWD feels. You'll get the hang of it in a few days, I promise.

And who cares what other people think of your car? :lol:

mutatedfrog
07-08-2003, 11:39 PM
so if i buy it, you suggest that I just slowly learn to drive it?? I understand what you're saying, but getting a brand new car, and not being able to drive it feels like a sin to me. But I still like how it is AWD and a sedan. The problem is that if I buy it, somebody else that I know will have to drive it home. I'm sure I can find somebody to do that, but i will feel weird not being able to drive it.

Do you have any special suggestions for operating the clutch for me, because like I said, I do know how to drive a manual, I only had problems starting from a stop, but I could shift fine.

In the worst case scenario, what if I don't get the hang of it, and end up not liking it? Has anybody else had this same problem or is it just me??

thanks

LjasonL
07-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Just give it a lot of gas. It will want to bog down more than a 2wd, so just give it more gas than you think you need to, and slip the clutch more than you think. Then work your way down from there till you find the right balance. I had the same problem when I got rid of my Civic and got this car. You'll get used to it.

rs_k8432
07-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Since when is a WRX a parents car??? Go for the WRX its a head turner.
If you get the WRX, will it be 04'? Cuz the new WRX's look really nice and much sportier to me. :dogpile:

If someone in a rsx makes fun of u for dving a "parents" car just burn thier srry lil a$....

and yea learning to drive is easy enough one u get the hang of it.

TatII
07-09-2003, 11:10 PM
the rsx can't even hold a candle compared to the wrx in performance. and who cares if they laugh at your. who da hell does not know what a WRX is? if your into cars, and they don't know what a WRX is then your chillin with the wrong crowd. and if they want to race you. then you destroy them and make them look worse by losing to a "slow looking" car. and by all means a WRX is not slow looking, its got humungous flared fenders, and a mean hood scoop. and has the nice sound coming out of that flat 4 that definitly sounds different then other thing on the road. a RSX most spoiled kids i know drives one, and they aren't too quick. a WRX will wax the RSX. and a WRX is almost as fast as the RSX type S. but whats the point of buying an auto? i mean if your willin to relearn to drive such an awesome car (WRX) then you might as well just drive that honda. :loser:

mutatedfrog
07-10-2003, 11:19 AM
i totally understand that the RSX sucks performance wise, but I want to learn by the time school starts, because we have one big hill there, so i gotta practice on that, othewise i'm gonna hit a car everyday. Also, ldelaysionl, how long did it take for you to get used to your WRX, after driving your civic.

FortyTwo
07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
I just went through this same dilemna. After test driving, I had to go with the WRX, and after a few months I love it. It took very little time to get used to, as my previous car was an automatic.The ONLY thing I liked on the RSX better was the 6-speed, but the short shift trans on the WRX is much better. My favorite thing on it (besides nice power) is the AWD; great traction in all weather, or launching at the track. I spent a couple of months comparing the two, and I am very happy with my decision. Oh, BTW it never gets mistaken for a " family" car or anything like that, it gets plenty of looks.

SPIKO
07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Ok well the first thing is WRX's are not slow, and they are not old ppls cars, I dunno where you heard that from, and if your friends think that, then they dont know shit about cars, the WRX is probably one of the best stock proformance cars on the market, w/ a lot of room left for mods and improvement. Im 16 too about to get my licence in 2 weeks, I want a WRX soo bad, and my friends who actually know a thing or two about cars know that they are fast, I mean AWD, turbocharged? You cant go wrong, also my friend wants a RSX Type-S, mabey Type-R if he can import it. Its your choice and $, they are both good cars, im leaning to the WRX tho...

93DC2
07-31-2003, 02:33 AM
oh-my-god-people! pulleeeaaaaseee!!!! is this even a debate???! i'm buying an STi by the end of the year and my friend with his wimpy skyline is saying he can smoke me. no he doesn't have a GTR. not even GTS-t. so now i'm stuck with a heavy decision: show him the errors of his ways by smoking him, or lose a good friend by embarrassing him? i mean come on! an RSX type S?! it's like apples and oranges folks. well, more like watermelons and cherries. i live in japan and there are no RSX's here--RSX is an Acura term. there's only honda. there is no acura, thus, there is no RSX. it's still called the integra. the only new dc5 integras you see on the street are type R's. and even a type r can't shake even the biggest stick at an STi. not even at a regular WRX! this is not a debate man. if money is not a factor, STi. i wanna expand on what the other guy said: if your friend is laughing at your "soccer mom family car" take him for a ride and see if he can laugh while his body is being smashed into the racing seats (comes stock by the way...). oh yeah and a stock STi can KILL a stock Camaro Z28 folks. Sports Compact Car did a dollar-for-dollar research back in '98 or so. it can take intersections at 50mph/80kph! RSX?! was that a typo? Were you trying to type GTR? come back to reality!

93DC2
08-04-2003, 05:41 PM
come to think of it, maybe your R was supposed to be an N. NSX. now THERE'S a car...280-300hp and all muscle. no turbos/s.chargers. must be why Saruwatari went to it. but you pay for all that ass tho...went to the honda dealer when i was still interested in 'teg type r's and they had an nsx type r getting an oil change. the owner must've been some kind of CEO of some company to drop that kind of $$$ on a car like that. suhweeeeeet! if he can squeeze a turbo in the engine bay, he'd be untouchable!

JUNXR34
09-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Ive been in both RSX type S and Wrx 03... I love the Wrx because of the turbo,and also how it feels. Mmmm but both aftermarket mods can make them both very fast. one of my friend was called out to race a rsx stock vs stock.. his wrx won. Wrx is no Parents car by the way... They must've want to be smoked by one :mad: . :disappoin. Just go to a deallership and drive both. You'll see major different. :thumbsup: Mann.........

iLuBSkylines
09-17-2003, 11:51 PM
93DC2

can a modded STI beat a modded R33 or R34 GTR?

Drop-2nd!!
11-27-2003, 01:34 PM
If you're looking for performance it's the WRX no question. The RSX has too little performance for it's price tag.
Yes the WRX is pretty loaded with performance from the factory,and at a great price!!!I mean shit AWD,flat four and turbo,thats a sweet package!!....................Unfortunantly the RSX-S is one of the most underrated cars honda makes.We got FWD and weak torgue compared to you guys, hence I can understand most people underestimating the car, but dont be fooled the new Integra is a very worthy car, with many upgrades from the factory helping to maximize the whole I-VTEC experience.Were putting out 100 HP per liter, without a turbo!!Thats very close to the S2000's power output!,an I got power in the midrange with I-VTEC as versus the S2000's VTEC.-Now I love your WRX,its definantly a sweet car that is very versatile(Go snowboard an ski),But
face it, you guys have all those factory mods an AWD, and a bone stock RSX-S will be on your ass like shit....................Give me a cold air intake and my car will match yours in performance, if not surpass it. We respond to boltons REAL REAL well. U guys should go to clubrsx.com
theres a WRX vs RSX thread in the KILL section. Go an see how deep shit gets.

youngvr4
11-27-2003, 03:52 PM
wrx no ?. but have you guys heard about the 440hp rsx s running 11's

YukiHime
12-02-2003, 10:09 PM
A performance with AWD
And a nice looking car with FF...
The simplest that you can think about.

blazeya222
12-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Honestly, if i was to put my money on the craftsmanship of both these cars id put it on the rsx-s. Ive seen people wipe the tranny on the wrx so many times that subaru refused to give them anymore, with the warranty and all. And anyone buying either of these cars is NOT going to have a lite foot. Im struggling on a decision of whether to buy the wrx or rsx-s and my biggest worry on the wrx is that infamous tranmission that everyone seems to wipe in a month or two. So yeah the wrx does have more power, the rsx-s has a horrible 140lb of torque but you have to take into consideration that you spending 25g's on a car and your gonna want to last, even with you lead foot. I havent seen anyone take out an rsx tranny yet.

FortyTwo
12-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Honestly, if i was to put my money on the craftsmanship of both these cars id put it on the rsx-s. Ive seen people wipe the tranny on the wrx so many times that subaru refused to give them anymore, with the warranty and all. And anyone buying either of these cars is NOT going to have a lite foot. Im struggling on a decision of whether to buy the wrx or rsx-s and my biggest worry on the wrx is that infamous tranmission that everyone seems to wipe in a month or two. So yeah the wrx does have more power, the rsx-s has a horrible 140lb of torque but you have to take into consideration that you spending 25g's on a car and your gonna want to last, even with you lead foot. I havent seen anyone take out an rsx tranny yet.

Give me a break.... You have NOT seen people kill this many transmissions, at least not on a stock car. In which case Subaru shouldn't have warranteed them(modded car) at all. I own a WRX, and the tranny is still very strong. I belong to a few WRX groups and I don't know anyone that has blown their tranny. If you know how to drive, and don't try to push excessive power to it, it holds fine.

I don't much care which car everyone buys, but if someone passes up a more powerful, faster, better handling, AWD car with arguably better quality and longevity, it shouldn't be because of some myth only spouted out by non-WRX owners. :2cents:

blazeya222
12-03-2003, 01:39 PM
how can you tell me i have NOT

blazeya222
12-03-2003, 02:02 PM
how can you tell me i have NOT see someone wipe that many trannys? i was with my friend at the subaru dealership both times when he did it. im not sayin subaru is the worst make in the world. i love the car, and i just might buy one this summer. but all im saying is i would trust acura before i would trust subaru. but im not ready to give up awd and all that power either. i dont own either car but ive driven them, the subaru has alot more power and i would run laps on the rsx all day long. dosent mean you cant tune the rsx to beat a wrx. i like both cars, dont get me wrong, but i would trust honda before subaru.

FortyTwo
12-03-2003, 04:13 PM
So many times was 2? And the car was stock, then? And Subaru denied his warrantee claim? Sounds like a lawsuit. Before I say anything bad, how did he manage to break them? What model year was it? Was this his first car, first AWD? What exactly did he break?

Sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you, but it seems like I hear too many bogus stories about my car from people who have never driven one. When I tell people I have a WRX, they all start with, "I heard..." Some of it good, some of it bad. Transmission breakage is one of the things I hear, but have seen no evidence for.

Now watch me go break my tranny! :p

youngvr4
12-03-2003, 04:31 PM
lol

blazeya222
12-03-2003, 10:44 PM
No actually i think he had a CAI, exhaust and a flashed ECU. but im not sure on the ECU. thing is he broke two at the time that we still talked then he wiped a third one and subaru finally made the decision that it was his fault the the tranny's were going, not like they couldnt figure that one out way before. i dont know the policy on all that but after the third one all i know is that they wouldnt give him anything and he just wound up selling it like that. the kids dumb though, every red light was a 1/4 mile for him and he'd race anyone from a soccer mom van to his grandfathers lincoln. it was an 02 wrx sedan. not sure though if it was his first awd. the guyz @ the dealer said the tranny was blown and thats all i heard of it. I know your not pickin on me, i get touchy too when someone picks on my 91' lumina, LOL. ive driven the wrx and the things an animal, but im afraid of the stock tranny going on me cuz i have alot of morons out here that like to get funny with mustang gt's. and a wrx would provide me with more than enough to park their fords. but i like the feedback from everyone with a wrx because itll help me make my decision on whether im going to buy an rsx or wrx this summer. i appreciate ur input too. so whatever you got for me, send it my way. summers rolling up and i already have the money for either car. just doing alot of research.

Add your comment to this topic!