Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First Car Choices (pics)

walterdixon
07-06-2003, 03:08 PM
First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone on this board! I plan on becoming a very active poster and give advice to others whenever I can. I am 17, and am on my summer brake going into grade 12. Anyhow, I will be purchasing my first car within the next month, but I cannot decide what to go for. I have been researching two different choices for a long time now. One being the S13 1991-1993 Nissan 240sx Coupe (non-fastback). The other is the FC3S 1986-1992 Mazda RX-7 N/A. The reason I did not say the Turbo II model is for reliability issues, also, I don't think my parents would like me have a car that powerful.

I don't plan on leaving the car I buy stock for long. I am much more into performance than looks.

I would like to know what everyone's opinion is on these two cars, from performance to reliability, and everything in between.

If anyone has any suggestions for other cars I should take into consideration, feel free to vote for that option. I have no set budget, but something within the same price range would be necessary.

Thanks in advance for your votes. :bigthumb:

walterdixon
07-06-2003, 03:10 PM
...and the 240sx

hakka
07-06-2003, 05:48 PM
What is your budget?

/\/imbus
07-06-2003, 07:50 PM
If you go rotory you will have to make sure the car was babied, from my experience an RX-7 runs well if you treat it real good, if neglected however, they can turn into a nightmare. I love rotories though so I would definitly go with the RX-7.

Neutrino
07-06-2003, 09:50 PM
considering you are in Canada.....i would go with an elipse gsx.....turbo 4g63 + AWD....

PWMAN
07-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Neutrino
considering you are in Canada.....i would go with an elipse gsx.....turbo 4g63 + AWD.... :iagree: :bigthumb:

NISSANSPDR
07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Snow...GSX

Dry...240SX w/some kind of forced induction

walterdixon
07-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by /\/imbus
If you go rotory you will have to make sure the car was babied, from my experience an RX-7 runs well if you treat it real good, if neglected however, they can turn into a nightmare. I love rotories though so I would definitly go with the RX-7.

Babying an RX-7 is not a good idea at all. Rotary engines need to be run up to redline from time to time to get the carbon build-up out of it. I'm afraid that if I buy an RX-7 off an old guy that never drove it hard, the engine would be close to cooked already.

As for the GSX, the 2nd generation ones are out of my price range and the 1st generation ones are (IMO) ugly and I've heard they don't handle well at all. AWD would be nice though.

Oh, and my budget is not set in stone, but it is around probably 6-8k Canadian.

Neutrino
07-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by walterdixon

Babying an RX-7 is not a good idea at all. Rotary engines need to be run up to redline from time to time to get the carbon build-up out of it. I'm afraid that if I buy an RX-7 off an old guy that never drove it hard, the engine would be close to cooked already.

As for the GSX, the 2nd generation ones are out of my price range and the 1st generation ones are (IMO) ugly and I've heard they don't handle well at all. AWD would be nice though.

Oh, and my budget is not set in stone, but it is around probably 6-8k Canadian.

you sure about that redlining thing......it just doesn't seem right to me.....but i guess i'm not the rotary expert......try asking dayna or steel.......also jimster seem to know his rotatries as well......

about the gsx.....the 1st gen are not that bad handlers and there is plenty of aftermarket to make them handle better...

also how much snow do you get.....because RWD its a nightmare as a daily driver in the snow......

walterdixon
07-07-2003, 03:47 PM
When the RPM's are low there isn't enough pressure going through the exhaust port to push out all the carbon particles without some of them getting stuck to the walls of the exhaust ports. When you bring the rev's up, it cleans it out.

Eclipses and talons are a little on the heavy side for me.

NISSANSPDR
07-08-2003, 01:47 PM
1st Gen's weigh like 2800 lbs

The S13 240SX weighes around 2600 lbs

So it's not that big of a diff...but ok...

walterdixon
07-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by NISSANSPDR
1st Gen's weigh like 2800 lbs

The S13 240SX weighes around 2600 lbs

So it's not that big of a diff...but ok...

Are you sure they are only 2800 pounds? I always thought they were more like 3400 pounds.

dayna240sx
07-13-2003, 12:54 AM
First gen RX-7s are very light between 2400 to 2700 lbs.

years ago when the first porsche speedsters came out the big thing with them was not to "lug" them. that is keep the RPM below 3ooo rpm.

Same is true with the rotary, if not more true.

It loves reving...all the way to redline. YOu'll learn that once you have one you shift when you hear the buzzer. the further you take it however, the harder it is on things like the stationary gears and bearings. at 9ooo rpm you have something like 1100 psi between the e-shaft bearing and stat-gear bearing.

Lower rpm, like from idle to ~2500 rpm while under load is far more dangerous due to reasons like what walterdixon mentioned as well as primary sealing stress on the apex seal.

Considering buy a car that has or has not been beat on.. i have purchased several of these cars... I have found that the cars that have been beaten on mildly are the best. the cars out there that have been babied seem to have more go wrong with them sooner.

I have an 88 vert with 155K that runs like a top but is starting to lose comp due to failing side seals... beat on by previous owner but well maintained,, (the key to the rotary)
I had an 87 coupe with 218 that still ran when it was totalled (due to being rear ended twice... long story)
I had a 85 GS(L) with a 12A that was my track car for the last 26K miles of its life ending at nearly 186K miles... wouldn't have died but track partner punched the thottle thru a turn caused a fuel stave situation then lean burn, melting the rear rotor seals)

I bought an 1989 GTUs with 114K with dead engine, perfect condition, excellent records, driven by an old lady who did not beat on it...

walterdixon
07-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the post dayna240sx, I noticed that you also own an S14. What do you think would be a better first car for a 17 year old (I'm going to be beating on it a bit but will also maintain it very well). I want a car that isn't going to cause me problems all the time and is fun to drive. Which one puts a bigger smile on your face when you drive them agressivly?

dayna240sx
07-13-2003, 05:13 PM
I'd say the RX-7. Thats why I have 3 of them (presently) and only one 240. I definatly like driving the rx-7 better. Just do a lot of research on them and work on them yourself!

icemike117
08-05-2003, 12:36 AM
me myself,are looking into price of a few thou,with more power than a civic,so im going for a 1st generation eclipse gsx:bigthumb:

Add your comment to this topic!