Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anti lock light after a new stereo installed.

The1andonlybkg
03-04-2023, 04:47 AM
I have a 1997 chevy lumina. I installed a new stereo in it and now the anti lock light is on. I'm not sure how,if or why they are related I just know the light was not on before the stereo install. I'm not sure what to check or do. I can't afford to take it in and have someone look at it. Any help or ideas would be awesome thanks

harleyguy
03-04-2023, 10:03 AM
When you did your install did you get the wiring kit or cut off the old plug and wire it straight in?

Blue Bowtie
03-04-2023, 01:06 PM
For the low, low cost of "free" many chain parts stores will offer a courtesy service of scanning the PCM for error codes. If one of them happens to use more than a very generic, low-end scanner they may be able to retrieve codes from the EBCM which could provide a clue about why the ABS warning lamp is on.

Schurkey
04-06-2023, 11:20 PM
Yup. Connect a scan tool, find out what the computer is trying to tell you.

Cheap-junk consumer-grade scan tools may or may not be able to connect to the ABS. A REAL scan tool should talk to every computer-controlled system on the vehicle--engine, transmission, ABS, traction control, instrument cluster, air bags, etc., assuming the vehicle is equipped with those computer-controlled features.

Add your comment to this topic!