Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NSX paint match

willimo
07-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Ok, so I've been workin' on m NSX, and the whole time I've been agonizing over the color. From the moment I opened the box, I wanted to paint it that beautiful Orange/Gold/Copper/Crazy color the 2003 NSX is available in. (Those Honda guys call it "Imola Orange Pearl"). Thing is, I hate using touch-up paint, ever since I used it on my friend's Integra. It's a pain to thin and worse to spray, esp. in the humid Louisiana air. So does anyone know of a color that's pretty close to it? Preferably in a can since I avoid my airbrush like the plague. Or, maybe, am I just being a total tard thinning the Acura paint with lacquer thinner, and it would all be nice and easy with the correct thinner?

One last thing- anyone got any pics of the NSX motor out of the car? I'm having a hell of a time figuring it's plumbing trying to look at it all shoehorned in the engine bay. I can see all sorts of vacuum and other lines coming out of the top, but going God knows where.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Willimo

ales
07-06-2003, 12:26 AM
You can try and see if Duplicolor has a sparaycan with this paint. Good colour choice, BTW!

Click here (http://www.nsxflorida.com/nsx_apprentice_in_phoenix.htm) for some pics of the engine and some other interesting references.

Lambo003
07-06-2003, 11:56 AM
A bit expensive . . . but you can order your color ready mixed in a spray can here . . .

PaintScratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com/)

Also, check your area auto paint suppliers. They too may offer custom mixed paints and put them in spray cans for less money.

Beautiful color choice BTW . . .

willimo
07-06-2003, 02:41 PM
$30? Man, I'm gonna have to really order my priorities here..... Thanks for the help, though, as I'll probably break down and order that paint after all... though I may have to wait for my next paycheck.

ales
07-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Man, seriously! Duplicolor make paint in spraycans that match car colours. They should be readily available at shops around you. Shouldn't cost more than 10 usd either.

willimo
07-06-2003, 04:24 PM
I actually went and checked out some Duplicolor, no dice. Aparently, an NSX color isn't good enough for them.

Jay!
07-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by willimo
I actually went and checked out some Duplicolor, no dice. Aparently, an NSX color isn't good enough for them. Or perhaps too good. Exclusive, anyway. They only sell a few thousand NSXs in the US every year, and most NSX owners will just pay the Acura dealerships to re-spray their cars, so there's not a demand for Duplicolor to offer the NSX-special colors.

Besides, the 'cooler' NSX colors are multi-part, basecoat-pearlcoat-clearcoat, and they really need the layers to make the color 'pop.'

Lambo003
07-06-2003, 07:54 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/841418NSX.jpg

Testors has a few colors close to this after all. . .

Roadstar Florida Orange Pearl - #S-52920 ("S" stands for aerosol spray)

Orange Pearl - #B-52716 ("B" meaning bottle), which will have to be thinned and sprayed with an airbrush.

The closest match being the Roastar Florida Orange Pearl.

As far as the engine pics go. . .

Here are a couple of cut away pics (warning - large files). This should help a little with the plumbing & wiring of your model.

ENGINE CUT-AWAY (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2nj4y/lambomodels/FUJTIPS/nsxdet.jpg)

FULL CAR CUT-AWAY (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2nj4y/lambomodels/FUJTIPS/nsxdet2.jpg)

willimo
07-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Thanks Lambo-you've helped a lot. None of those other paints really did it for me like the actual Acura color, though, so I went ahead and ordered the paint from paintscratch.com. I figured it would be ok since I'm pretty much detailing the rest of the car out of my parts box, so what I saved in parts just went to paint. And, better yet, with such an expensive can, I'm going to be under a lot of pressure to do it right, which is great. I won't allow myself to mess it up, and it'll be flawless....

Thanks again.

willimo
07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Since I've been asked:

The NSX will not be a stock build, not entirely. I've stolen the hood, headlamps, and rear window (plus roof scoop) from an old Tamiya Castrol Mugen NSX that is donating it's engine to a RWD Civic hatch monster (more on that as things develop....). I've also stolen seats from a Fujimi Integra R, wheels will be Aoshima Blitz BRW-03's, and the rear deck will have the really low SAS spoiler in CF.

The engine, for the moment, will be stock. I keep tossing around the idea of throwing a supercharger in there, an Eaton type like Jackson Racing makes using a Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland blower kit. Either that or fabricate my own Paxton style supercharger. I haven't decided yet. I'd like to, since this would justify using the roof scoop, since I'm not using velocity stacks like the JGTCC car, and I am gutting the airbox so that engine detail is visible with the rear window down.

The kit I am using is the Tamiya kit (24100). Not the NSX R as I would have liked, since that one is molded in white plastic instead of red. So far, I've had almost no problem fitting parts from one Tamiya kit to the next, even though they use completely different tooling. (This, to me, is a testament to Tamiya quality, where parts are as interchangable as on the 1:1 cars.)

Still, I need to find a camera of some sort so I can show progress pics, and completed stuff. Eventually. Until then, picture it in you head: it's pretty.

Jay!
07-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by willimo
The engine, for the moment, will be stock. I keep tossing around the idea of throwing a supercharger in there, an Eaton type like Jackson Racing makes using a Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland blower kit. :eek: :bigthumb: :sunglasse Very cool!!

Add your comment to this topic!