Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 1500 hard starting

imakedacookies
03-24-2022, 10:22 PM
I have a 95 1500 with the 350 and 5 speed manual that has been costing me an arm and a leg to get reliable. I'm very close to fixing everything but one last thing I can't quite figure out. When I bought it, everything seemed fine but it started giving me a small engine stumble under acceleration, that evolved into barely running. After timing it, fixing some bad ignition wires, and rebuilding the throttle body everything was OK. Started acting up again and that was just a bad connection to the battery that new cables fixes. For some obnoxious reason after that it purrs like a kitten once on but is a nightmare to start. Since the hard starting occurred I put a new map sensor on it. I'm going to do a coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and wires this weekend. It could use all the above but I'm not sure if that will fix the issue. Fuel pressure up to the tbi is good and it seems to me like a fuel pressure issue on startup, but I could be way over thinking. Any ideas?

Schurkey
03-25-2022, 03:34 AM
I have a 95 1500 with the 350 and 5 speed manual that ... ...is a nightmare to start. Since the hard starting occurred I put a new map sensor on it. I'm going to do a coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and wires this weekend. It could use all the above but I'm not sure if that will fix the issue. Fuel pressure up to the tbi is good and it seems to me like a fuel pressure issue on startup, but I could be way over thinking. Any ideas?
1. Does a scan tool show that these sensors are defective? Does a scan tool prove the other sensors and computer outputs are OK?

2. What is the fuel pressure? Why does it "need" a pressure regulator?

3. Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"? What is the fuel pressure during prime?

If the fuel pump doesn't prime, you've got trouble somewhere in the fuel pump relay circuit. This might or might not be the relay itself. Could be in the ECM, or it could be in the relay wire harness somewhere. If the pump won't prime, you need to crank the engine long enough to build oil pressure so that the fuel pump runs off of the oil pressure switch instead of the relay.

imakedacookies
03-25-2022, 06:54 PM
My scan tool won't work on something this old so I have not tried. The shop told me the pressure was fine so im unsure of the actual number. As far as why it "needs/can use" these parts is because it's got 250k miles and has been semi neglected

Schurkey
03-26-2022, 02:53 AM
Appropriate fuel pressure when the engine is running does not mean the fuel pump primes, and runs during engine cranking/startup.

You NEED to know if the pump primes, and fuel pressure when the key is turned to "crank". If there's no fuel pressure until the engine builds enough oil pressure to trigger the oil pressure switch, you'll have extended cranking and "hard starting".

Beyond that, you ought to find a proper scan tool. Replacing good OEM parts with cheap Communist junk could be a step backwards.

j cAT
03-28-2022, 12:25 PM
tb throttle body ... 350cu has to change the distributor and the ICM/COIL.. inspect the ECM pin connectors ..

truck has 175k miles and higher .

imakedacookies
11-06-2023, 06:14 PM
Sorry for the super late reply. It wasn't advancing it's timing. The wire under the dash got unplugged somehow. Worked great once I re did the timing and plugged that back in. Blew a head gasket not long after that so it's been parked a couple months

Add your comment to this topic!