Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brace from motor mount to Transmission bell housing

herkyhawki
11-16-2021, 07:55 PM
1998 5.7L with Auto trans K1500.
There are two braces(brackets) from the motor mounts to the bottom of the bell housing. After installing new GM transmission, the brace on the drivers side has gone missing. Looking fo a source to get one of these, as I'm concerned if I end up with a problem, my warranty could be voided. This does not seem to be a cataloged part anywhere. Salvage yards seem to pull engines and trannys and separate them and the brackets just go in their scrap pile. Any advice on where to find one. been searching for a while, and don't even see any ads where someone is parting out a truck anywhere in the state.
Thanks

Schurkey
11-17-2021, 09:45 AM
I went twenty years with one side missing.

One day I'm harvesting parts at my favorite Treasure Yard, I found an early-90s extended cab that got me an engine, accessory drive, entire front suspension, steering column, cat-back exhaust...and my missing brace.

Truly...it would not be that hard to make one from some steel tubing; but I'm surprised that the Yards around you don't have some.

Do you have the plate that goes between the block and the motor mount?

I've got multiple cast-aluminum torque converter pans, but I expect you've already got that.

herkyhawki
11-23-2021, 09:04 PM
Quick update. I got what I need.
Before 1998, the brace is just a bar with hole on both ends. 98 & 99 with 5.7, the bar is specific and has hole on top end to bolt to motor mount bracket, but the bottom end is bent and threaded to poke through a hole on the bellhousing. Then a nut goes on to hold it. Very hard to find because anybody parting out a truck pulls motor and trans and the brackets go in scrap pile. I found one on an intact truck and removed it myself. lotta folks I checked with while looking say this brace is not important. How do you explain then, that GM improved the design for 1998 and 1999 for a design that was in it's last years? If it was not needed, they would have left it alone or deleted it.

Stealthee
11-24-2021, 08:43 PM
There are many parts on many vehicles that are not important, or literally just CYA parts. Some things are "overengineered", and some parts are only on vehicles for "comfort."

There are several parts I deleted on my 3000GT that the car so no ill effects from. One that sticks out the most is the clutch fluid damper. I always had so much issue getting my slave cylinder to bleed properly. I ended up bypassing the damper out of necessity when a line going to it broke. Bleeding the clutch was instantly easier, and the pedal feel was so much more "mechanical." I've talked others into deleting theirs and they all agree with my assessment.

Another 3000GT part that gets deleted is the counter weight on the transmission levers. It literally does nothing to help, and just gets in the way.

Add your comment to this topic!