Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Model Master/Testors paint question

Seamus McRae
02-19-2021, 06:50 PM
G'day all

My question is probably directed more towards the American modellers here, but others may know too...

Here in Australia, the Testors paint brand is less well known & hasn't been distributed as much as its stablemate Model Masters.
That said, with news that the Model Master brand will now disappear in favour of just the Testors paints, can anyone confirm if the physical nature of the 2 brands - whether that be acrylic or enamel - are actually the same?
I've just started using MM's acrylic flat black & I have to say, it is BY FAR the best acrylic flat colour I've ever used. I had started changing over from Tamiya to Gunze for some of my paints, but on the back of using this flat black, I now want to move up to MM - if I can get similar quality in the parent Testors

Cheers

MPWR
03-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Best as I've been able to determine, the Testors square bottle enamels are the same formulation as Model Master enamels. I haven't ever seen Testors square bottle arylic (other than MM Acryl), but if it exists than it should be the same formulation as MM Acryl.

Yeah, Acryl has been good stuff. The acrylic polymer is much more durable than those used by Tamiya and Gunze. If it really does disappear, I will miss it terribly.

Add your comment to this topic!