Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Automatic Transmission Question

RidingOnRailz
11-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Serious Question:

First some background:
Starting around 10-15 years ago, I have been shifting, inadvertantly, from Park into Neutral instead of into Drive. Also, shifting from Drive into Neutral instead of into Reverse as intended.

My question is:
Who decreed that Neutral gear be positioned between Reverse and Drive in on the Automatic Trans. band, and, could it be changed at some point in the future?

IE, relocate Neutral somewhere else, such as after all the gears, at the bottom of the band.

It's really frustrating thinking I'm in Drive or Reverse, I press the gas, and nothing happens!

jeffmorris1956
11-02-2020, 07:56 PM
I think that the US government decreed that automatic transmission shift pattern be like this: P R N D 2 1 in 1960s because some cars had shift pattern like this: P N D 2 1 R and some drivers had accidents while shifting gears.

RidingOnRailz
11-03-2020, 08:07 AM
I think that the US government decreed that
automatic transmission shift pattern be like this:
P R N D 2 1 in 1960s because some cars had shift
pattern like this: P N D 2 1 R and some drivers had
accidents while shifting gears.

The "US Government"??

Wait, who knows the most about designing and building vehicles here?

I'm just tired of shifting into Neutral all the time, instead of the Reverse or Drive that I need

jeffmorris
11-03-2020, 09:33 AM
https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a733349/why-does-your-automatic-transmission-shifter-go-p-r-n-d/

Look at the shift indicator when shifting gears.

Stealthee
11-03-2020, 10:16 AM
The "US Government"??

Wait, who knows the most about designing and building vehicles here?

I'm just tired of shifting into Neutral all the time, instead of the Reverse or Drive that I need
You are in the minority. I've never had that issue once in my life.

RidingOnRailz
11-03-2020, 11:15 AM
https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a733349/why-does-your-automatic-transmission-shifter-go-p-r-n-d/

Look at the shift indicator when shifting gears.

I'm looking where I should be when operating 2 tons of mechanical equipment with up to four other souls on board - out my windows.

And I never had this problem until, as I said, about 10-15 years ago. Total driving years: 33.

Again: What does Washington know about building cars? Ok, if they want to set minimums for headlight brightness, or reflectivitiy of reflectors, fine.

RidingOnRailz
11-03-2020, 11:24 AM
You are in the minority. I've never
had that issue once in my life.

As I am in many matters: I oppose daylight 'saving', prefer manual crankup windows in the car, think switching TV to digital was unnecessary, and still play CDs - at home and in the car.

Guess there's a first for everything! ;)

Add your comment to this topic!