Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front end noise diagnosis Toyota hiace supercustom 2wd automatic 1994

Lovethatvan
07-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Whirring noise in the front (unchanged if in neutral) have replaced wheel bearing and upper ball joint Hiace supercustom 1994 2wd automatic

It’s a whirring wom wom noise above 30km, disappears at 60km in the front LH. Is unaffected by turning corners, unaffected by shifting in to neutral. It’s not too loud, but I can hear it over the stereo. It’s a whirring humming, not a squealing or grinding, it changes a bit in pitch and speed but not too much. Had several people listen to different areas of the van who all think it’s coming from LH front. I was hoping it was wheel bearing/upper ball joint, the rubber gasket of the joint had torn and it had a lot of play, bearing had a bit of play, but I replaced both and the noise continues. I also got four new tires, so ruled out tire cupping. What else can I check in that area? Is there another bearing (I’m a very diy mechanic) Is it possible the noise is carrying from the RH? Is it possible it’s a drive velocity joint? Would that still whirr at the same pitch when it’s flicked into neutral ? Thanks for reading and much appreciation of any answers.

Add your comment to this topic!