Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 gmc sonoma - fuel pump, and sensors

btatt
07-20-2020, 04:07 PM
I have a 2001 GMC Sonoma 4.3L. Problems started with the fuel pump. Broke down, had spark, but no compression. Pulled off the bed (the first time) found the hose to the fuel pump had disconnect. Fit the hose back on, bed back on - it happened again. This time attached a clamp to the fitting to limp it back home from the smokies and promptly replaced the pump assembly - minus the electrical component.

It broke down again! This last time had fuel pressure but no spark. I am wondering if there is a bigger underlying problem. Checked the fuses. Fuse blew every time i cranked (no start). Changed out the fuel pump electrical components. Found a short in the air temperature sensor on the manifold. Fixed that and now it starts and runs - but I still don't trust there isn't something bigger I'm overlooking and am afraid of a 3rd towing bill.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

btatt
07-20-2020, 04:17 PM
Also checked the ground - it's good. And replaced the fuel filter.

Blue Bowtie
07-21-2020, 06:43 AM
If you upgraded the power connector at the fuel pump/tank unit when it was replaced, about the only thing left is the pump power relay. A fresh relay might be good to have on hand.

Add your comment to this topic!