Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't get Focus into gear (manual)... and then I can. until I can't...

jxm28
02-08-2020, 01:27 PM
I've got an 18 month old Ford Focus (new model) 1.0 eco engine, manual gear box.

Everything was working fine, then one day I got to the junction at the end of the road (about 300yards from setting off), stopped at the junction, and couldn't get it into 1st gear. Or indeed any gear. Had to push it to the side of the road and wait for the AA. Of course when he arrived and got in and it worked fine (typical). I convinced him to drive it round the block a few times and he started having problems changing gears. He towed me to the ford garage, they took the whole gearbox out, said they found a "bit of plastic" somewhere inside, said it must have been there from factory as it was a sealed unit. They checked all the obvious stuff first, fluid levels, clutch pedal etc, said no other problems, no sign of wear on the clutch. Just a random bit of plastic inside the gearbox.

But whatever, it worked when they gave it back so I was happy.

But had the same problem this morning (a few weeks later). I tried to reverse out of my drive, but couldn't get it into reverse. Sat on the drive just trying to get it into any gear, after a few minutes I got it to go into the forward gears then eventually into reverse. Once going I managed to drive to my destination with no problems.

When I went to leave to go home I got the same problem - sat on the drive couldn't get it into gear. Tried multiple times, turned the engine off and on again several times, and on maybe the 3rd or 4th attempt it went straight into gear, and I went through all the gears on the drive way (with my foot on the clutch obviously) and all worked fine. Managed to drive all the way home ok.

Stopped on my driveway, and as a test switched the engine off then back on again - couldn't get the bugger into gear again...

With the engine off the gear stick moves into gear smoothly with or without the clutch being depressed, but when the engine is on it refuses to get into gear. until it works, then it seems fine.

This is one of those press the clutch down and push the start button ignition systems. I tried putting it into gear while switched off, and then switching it on with the clutch down, but it just stalled.

So any thoughts on what could be the problem? It's a bit weird that it absolutely won't work one minute, then works fine the next...

Stealthee
02-08-2020, 06:40 PM
You're clutch isn't releasing. It sounds like it is either going to be a master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate, or the center of the disc itself is weak.

jxm28
02-09-2020, 03:35 AM
Further info...

Went out again last night, same thing happened there and on the way back. Struggle to get it into gear to start with, then works (albeit not particularly smoothly) until I get where I'm going.

I'm wondering if this is because the vehicle is moving? ie. when stationary getting into gear is a struggle, but works when moving?

I've modified my driving so rather than stopping at the junction and changing into first, I slow down 10-15yds before the junction and change down into first while still moving, so when I get to the junction I'm already in first and can just hold the clutch down (the idea being that if it won't go into first I can stop before the junction where I'll hopefully be less of an obstruction than if I breakdown at the junction itself)

Do any of your theories fit this observation more than your others?

jxm28
02-09-2020, 04:00 AM
Just read on another forum about a suggestion to "pump the clutch to build pressure" with a master cylinder fault.

Does that work? If so could that explain things?

With all the switching the car on and off, and repeatedly depressing the clutch pedal trying to get it into gear, have I been inadvertently building pressure and that's why it suddenly works and stays working during the journey?

Perhaps this would also explain why it worked for a few weeks after repair, and then has suddenly "gone bad" again (presumably a slow leak, and now the cylinder is empty?)

Although the Ford garage did say all the fluid levels were ok...

aleekat
02-09-2020, 06:50 AM
If still under warranty, get it back to the dealer.

michel1973
03-07-2020, 03:38 PM
I had the same problem with my Focus. The dealer changed the whole clutch. All under garanty.
Last week the window on the drivers side didn't close. when it was at the top, it automatically went down. Brought the car to the garage, and this was a software problem according to them. For now it works without a problem

Add your comment to this topic!