Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Silverado 5.7l weird issue

adrenalin2k4
02-02-2020, 12:21 PM
I have a 1992 Silverado 5.7l with 171000 miles on it. The truck is clean and pristine, very well taken care of. Fluid changes have been made regularly. The issue is that after the last oil change was made, I would drive it about 20 miles and a tap/knock will occurs. The tap/knock isn't very loud and seems to be coming from the top rear of engine. The engine doesn't miss, run rough or running hot. Average temp is about 185 and oil pressure is about 35-40 psi. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

maxwedge
02-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Well from here this can be tough. Same oil you always use? If you are sure it is a valve/upper engine noise, then try and determine which side and pull that valve cover off, look at/ listen to the valve train.

Blue Bowtie
02-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Further, what brand/number/type oil filter was installed for the change? That can be critical.

adrenalin2k4
02-03-2020, 09:33 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have a nasty cold. I went out this morning and check the dip stick and found out it is over filled by about 2-3 quarts. I also checked the sticker info and I am not very happy at all. It is a Pennzoil filter with 15w 45 which is either Delo or Rotella. I hope they didn't mess my truck up. I called the oil change place and they are out of business. What is your opinion and or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

maxwedge
02-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Change the oil and filer using a quality filer such as Napa Gold. Use any quality oil of the recommended weight.

adrenalin2k4
02-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I am a better than average mechanic. It is sometimes better to talk to another mechanic about certain issues. I will post back with the results. My Dad bought the truck off of the showroom floor on black Friday of 1992. It was and still is a trophy truck. Real wood grain accents and the steering wheel is a wood grain Grant GT. All leather captain chairs and back seat. Still in very good shape. Thanks for the help.

777stickman
02-03-2020, 06:56 PM
I agree with Max & Blue. If you can, change the oil & filter yourself, do it after a 15-20 mile drive. Let it drain for 30 mins. Napa Gold is a great filter. Fill it before install. After you add the correct amount of oil and run it check the dipstick again after an hour just to be sure it's reading right.

Sounds like a great truck. Hope it works out ok for you.

adrenalin2k4
02-05-2020, 06:07 PM
I drove it today on a 25 mile round trip and no our if the ordinary sounds. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and will drive it about a 60 miles round trip. I will post back and let y'all know what is going on.
I would just like to know if it being overfull or wrong oil caused it to do that. Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!