Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

alignment problems, pulls to the right.

rcweston
06-17-2019, 11:08 PM
1988 s-10 2wd 2.5l basic.
This truck has been a dream, always drove straight and true. Until drove up over a curb to load a tree. It took a little bounce to do it, after that, my alignment is skewed.
The toe in is correct, but something else is wrong. It continually pulls to the passengers side and the steering wheel needs to turn to the left to keep it straight.
I measured from front rim to back rim on both sides, there is about 1/4 inch difference from one side to the other. This concerns me!! the rear end is fixed.
Looking underneath I don't seem to see a problem, but I am not a pro, but have some background in repairs, not alignment or front ends. It could easily be staring at me an I not know it. I can repair much if I have the info. tools are not a problem. Every task is a learning experience for me.
With so much experience and knowledge on this forum, I hope someone can guide me in the right direction.
Ive looked diligently for specs but haven't found them.
Does anyone have specs for caster, camber and toe-in. or any other knowledge that would certainly help out. What to look for and how to evaluate the problem.
The truck runs like a champ and never gives me any trouble. It is old and things arn't as if they were new. But I like it. 144k miles.

maxwedge
06-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Obviously something changed, afterwards was the steering wheel itself offcenter? Without proper alignment equipment you really can't tell what the problem is. Camber is the most common cause of pulling issues assuming tires are ok. 1/4" wheelbase variation is not an issue unless it changed. How do you know the toe is correct?

CapriRacer
06-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Alignment Specs:

Caster: 2.0° ± 0.5°
Cross Caster: 0.0° - 0.5°

Camber: 0.8° ± 0.5°
Cross Camber: 0.0° - 0.5°

Toe: 0.3° ± 0.2° (5/32" ± 3/32")

Those are the published specs. My experience says that for good tire wear, the alignment must be within the inner half of the tolerance, especially toe.

Also, with a vehicle that old, the bushings might be deformed (or cracked), Check for any looseness and replace parts as necessary.

And while you are at it, check to see if the chassis is square. You've already got an indication it is not. To check for squareness, measure diagonally on the underneath from some point on the frame in the front to some point in the rear (not a suspension piece).

If that is square, try the diagonal measurements using a rear suspension piece (like the bolts holding the leaf spring to the axle), then do the same for the front suspension.

Good luck.

rcweston
06-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Obviously something changed, afterwards was the steering wheel itself offcenter? Without proper alignment equipment you really can't tell what the problem is. Camber is the most common cause of pulling issues assuming tires are ok. 1/4" wheelbase variation is not an issue unless it changed. How do you know the toe is correct?
I don't know what the previous front to back measurements were, only the current measurements.
As for toe measurements, I do have a toe measure tool, it is old, but works great. I have used it on other cars before taking them to the shop for an alignment, and my measurements have always been the same as the shop's per-measurements. I have come to trust it.

rcweston
06-19-2019, 10:34 PM
Alignment Specs:

Caster: 2.0° ± 0.5°
Cross Caster: 0.0° - 0.5°

Camber: 0.8° ± 0.5°
Cross Camber: 0.0° - 0.5°

Toe: 0.3° ± 0.2° (5/32" ± 3/32")

Those are the published specs.
were are you looking to find these specifications? I tried for a couple hours on the internet, but didn't come up with much.
My experience says that for good tire wear, the alignment must be within the inner half of the tolerance, especially toe.
To clarify, are you saying that the toe in should be closer to 5/32 or is it the 5/32 + the 3/32 to equal 8/32 (or 1/4inch)?

Also, with a vehicle that old, the bushings might be deformed (or cracked), Check for any looseness and replace parts as necessary.

And while you are at it, check to see if the chassis is square. You've already got an indication it is not. To check for squareness, measure diagonally on the underneath from some point on the frame in the front to some point in the rear (not a suspension piece).

If that is square, try the diagonal measurements using a rear suspension piece (like the bolts holding the leaf spring to the axle), then do the same for the front suspension.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the info and the instructions. I can do all of that. it might take a while, but I have time in between my grown children and their family's needs.

CapriRacer
06-21-2019, 07:12 AM
Where are you looking to find these specifications? I tried for a couple hours on the internet, but didn't come up with much. ……

I got a copy of a 2008 alignment chart from some guy who visited my website:

http://barrystiretech.com/

Unfortunately, it stops at 2008, If anyone has a newer chart, I would appreciate a copy.

……. To clarify, are you saying that the toe in should be closer to 5/32 or is it the 5/32 + the 3/32 to equal 8/32 (or 1/4inch)? …….

5/32nds is the target value, and 3/32 is the published tolerance. I am disagreeing with the tolerance. - so I use 1/32nd and the resulting acceptable range is 4/32 to 6/32.

Add your comment to this topic!